• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    So I was surfing the web tonight and I came across a page on Google's site that represents itself as up to date information on issued firearms for most police departments across the US, organized by state. I was scrolling down the link for Indiana and came across this:

Indianapolis Police Department
    Issued the 7.95×23mmR (.32 Colt) Colt .32 New Police (4") revolver in 19??-19??.
    Issued the 9×29mmR (.38 Special) S&W Model ?? revolver.
    Issued the 9×33mmR (.357 Magnum) S&W Model ??? revolver.
    Issued the 9×19mm Glock 17 pistol.
    Issued the 10×22mm (.40 S&W) Glock 22 pistol.
    Issues the 10×22mm (.40 S&W) SIG-Sauer P229 pistol.
    Issues the 18.5×76mmR (12-gauge) Remington Model 870 Police Magnum pump-action shotgun.

No entry for IMPD but according to this, IMPD started issuing P229's recently. All I've seen in our fine officers' holsters are Glocks. Have I just not been looking close enough or is this information not valid?

Remember though, it's on the Internet so it must be true!

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Most all of those sites or lists are outdated or wrong all together. Anything put out by Ma's Ayoob you can pretty much bank on though.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    There were some Sigs with the IPD (not IMPD) shield in the grip in circulation quite a ways back. I know they were trying them out then, but of course went with Glock. A buddy of mine had one around 05ish and we shot it at the range. It was still a Sig.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So I was surfing the web tonight and I came across a page on Google's site that represents itself as up to date information on issued firearms for most police departments across the US, organized by state. I was scrolling down the link for Indiana and came across this:

You are looking at a foreign (European) site that has confused the Indiana State Police with the police of the City of Indianapolis.

While this confusion happens her in the states (how many times have your heard Indiana referenced as "Indy"), it in endemic over seas.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    During my career ('67-'93) IPD issued in this order several versions of .38 Special S&W, .357 S&W, Beretta 92 9mm DA/SA, Beretta 9mm DA only, Glock M22 & M23 .40. When the transition from revolvers to pistols took place, some command staff were issued Sigs. I don't know the model. Early in my career there were still guys on the street who had never been issued a gun and were carrying personally owned revolvers. They were required to be Colt or S&W .38 Sp. This was also the requirement for off-duty weapons. We were required to carry all the time...concealed!

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    During my career ('67-'93) IPD issued in this order several versions of .38 Special S&W, .357 S&W, Beretta 92 9mm DA/SA, Beretta 9mm DA only, Glock M22 & M23 .40. When the transition from revolvers to pistols took place, some command staff were issued Sigs. I don't know the model. Early in my career there were still guys on the street who had never been issued a gun and were carrying personally owned revolvers. They were required to be Colt or S&W .38 Sp. This was also the requirement for off-duty weapons. We were required to carry all the time...concealed!

This!!

I came on in 1999 and we were issued Gen2 Model 22's. Up until about the merger you could carry anything as long as it was authorized by the C.O.P., which was rare. A couple years ago we went Glock only for on-duty carry except for certain specialty units. About that same time detectives also lost their Glock 23's and were issued 22's as well.

Phylodog can give you the exact dates. He is after all the boss man....

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Command staff, Instructors and selected staff were issued sig 226's. There wasn't many. I can't recall the exact number that IPD surplused but it wasn't a large amount. 25 sticks in my head in conversation. They were not well received due to rusting. They were using Gen 2 Glocks till about 03/04 when the ENB and BTK series started to get traded. They did another trade for Glock 22's in 09 with the last of the Gen2's,first batch of IPD gen 3's, early swat and MCSD from the merge for new Gen3's. During superbowl which was 12 I think. The entire fleet of 3's were swapped for 4's

Top Bottom