• Status
    Not open for further replies.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I am officially a resident of Indiana as of Monday (11/1) after living my entire life in Illinois. I was very active in the fight for the 2nd amendment in Illinois, and signed up on day 1 for a CCW license when the courts finally forced Illinois to recognize the 2nd amendment in Moore v. Madigan in 2013.

I am excited to now live in a state which actively recognizes the 2nd amendment and firearm rights (without having to be forced to do so by the court system.) Right after I visited the BMV to get my Indiana driver's license, I applied for a lifetime carry license and got my digital fingerprints. (I figured I needed an Indiana DL as an input into an Indiana CCW license.)

One question: The woman who took my fingerprints said I need to wait a week before the next step of visiting my local sheriff's office. Do they really need a week? It's digital, and should be pretty much instant... Trying to shorten this process as much as possible.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Welcome to the Great State of Indiana and INGO!

Where are you/which department? Smaller department I’d say check in 72 hours.

Great to have an experienced 2A supporter on board. Keep an eye out for the General Assembly thread for the 2022 legislative session.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    One question: The woman who took my fingerprints said I need to wait a week before the next step of visiting my local sheriff's office. Do they really need a week? It's digital, and should be pretty much instant... Trying to shorten this process as much as possible
    Welcome.

Your status should be updated online where you applied. Contact your local sheriff and check with them, things you need to know might be on their web site.

NewPerson556

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2021
    here
    I am officially a resident of Indiana as of Monday (11/1) after living my entire life in Illinois. I was very active in the fight for the 2nd amendment in Illinois, and signed up on day 1 for a CCW license when the courts finally forced Illinois to recognize the 2nd amendment in Moore v. Madigan in 2013.

I am excited to now live in a state which actively recognizes the 2nd amendment and firearm rights (without having to be forced to do so by the court system.) Right after I visited the BMV to get my Indiana driver's license, I applied for a lifetime carry license and got my digital fingerprints. (I figured I needed an Indiana DL as an input into an Indiana CCW license.)

One question: The woman who took my fingerprints said I need to wait a week before the next step of visiting my local sheriff's office. Do they really need a week? It's digital, and should be pretty much instant... Trying to shorten this process as much as possible.
    welcome but from one new person to another. Indiana doesnt have CCW. We have License to Carry a Handgun (LCH or LTCH). That's important because Indiana doesnt restrict open carry or concealed carry via its licensing restrictions. Only that you have a valid license on record (for now).

At least until we get Constitutional Carry and on that note, we do have de facto CC via the courts. See Pinner vs State.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Thank you all for the warm welcome!

welcome but from one new person to another. Indiana doesnt have CCW. We have License to Carry a Handgun (LCH or LTCH). That's important because Indiana doesnt restrict open carry or concealed carry via its licensing restrictions. Only that you have a valid license on record (for now).

At least until we get Constitutional Carry and on that note, we do have de facto CC via the courts. See Pinner vs State.
    Thanks for the correction on terminology. Yes, I follow the state laws and court cases closely. Earlier this year, it looked like Indiana would go CC. Still it is far, far better than carry in Illinois. And yes, I know Indiana is one of the > 40 states who allow Open Carry. :)

The only disappointment is that once I have my Indiana LTC, I will still have worse overall reciprocity with an Indiana res license plus my non-res licenses than I had with Illinois res license and my non-res licenses.

Last edited:

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Welcome to the Great State of Indiana and INGO!

Where are you/which department? Smaller department I’d say check in 72 hours.

Great to have an experienced 2A supporter on board. Keep an eye out for the General Assembly thread for the 2022 legislative session.

Evidently < 48 hours is ok also. I got my fingerprints Monday late afternoon. And stopped by the sheriff's office this (Wednesday) morning, where they checked and transmitted my application. After creating this thread, I figured I might as well try. :)

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    He is one of the good guys coming from Illinois. We have both been on "Illinois Carry" for years, I just beat him across the line by about a year and a half. Jim.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom