• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockola1971

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    Over Here
    Im glad I went to Perry and picked out a Springfield literally weeks before you couldnt find anything other than the expensive ones on the shelf. I believe I paid $525 for it. Mine has a IHC triggerguard and 1949 Winchester barrel on it with the receiver being a 1945. I would like to have a IHC also but im just not willing to fork out the $$$ for one. I can buy 2.5 AK kits for that $$ or alot of ammo...unless its .22lr :rolleyes:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Im glad I went to Perry and picked out a Springfield literally weeks before you couldnt find anything other than the expensive ones on the shelf. I believe I paid $525 for it. Mine has a IHC triggerguard and 1949 Winchester barrel on it with the receiver being a 1945. I would like to have a IHC also but im just not willing to fork out the $$$ for one. I can buy 2.5 AK kits for that $$ or alot of ammo...unless its .22lr :rolleyes:

Considering the market for decent Garands, those prices are not out of line (from what I've seen in the past 18 months).

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    I agree. Run as fast as you can in the other direction. Especially if the receiver is a Postage Stamp or Arrow head.

That's how you know they're junk. They couldn't even stamp the receiver correctly. If I were looking for a Garand, I'd probably buy an SAI repro from the upcoming 1500, and stay far away from the CMP. At least for a couple of weeks.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I've gotten 12 Garands from the CMP, all Service Grade, and not one of them was junk. SA, IHC, but mostly HRA.

As further proof, the CMP website is advertising that they have a small quantity of the 4M S/N range "gap letter" rifles. The on thing for sure about IHC's is they had a hard time stamping their S/N's!!!

M1 Garand | Civilian Marksmanship Program

Ok, so there may or may not have been some sarcasm in some of our posts ;)

Shown below is my 5,100,xxx IHC "Postage Stamp" facing us in this picture, next to cousins from HRA, WRA, and SA, and extended cousins, an M1a from SA, and a 1903A3 from Remmington.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    That's how you know they're junk. They couldn't even stamp the receiver correctly. If I were looking for a Garand, I'd probably buy an SAI repro from the upcoming 1500, and stay far away from the CMP. At least for a couple of weeks.

Ya I agree, only those real dummies will go and get in line at the N. Store for some old tractor gun, or mail order. Everyone knows those higher priced repros are the good ones to have. I got much of my interests elsewhere but a tractor gun from Indiana would be cool to go along with the SA and HRA.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    As further proof, the CMP website is advertising that they have a small quantity of the 4M S/N range "gap letter" rifles. The on thing for sure about IHC's is they had a hard time stamping their S/N's!!!

M1 Garand | Civilian Marksmanship Program

Ok, so there may or may not have been some sarcasm in some of our posts ;)

Shown below is my 5,100,xxx IHC "Postage Stamp" facing us in this picture, next to cousins from HRA, WRA, and SA, and extended cousins, an M1a from SA, and a 1903A3 from Remmington.

Your family has weathered the years well.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    CMP guns are junk. If you're reading this I would advise against ordering one. Especially a service grade IHC with an LMR barrel. They're the worst.

Yeah, those are definitely NOT the droids you're looking for...move along! :starwars:

I'm heading to Port Clinton this weekend. Maybe I will check it out.

Actually, rumor has it that the North Store recently got a shipment that included some SG Winchesters.

MPD742

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2014
    Grant County
    I ordered a service grade Garand last summer and was totally pleased. As best as I can tell. all Springfield except for a HRA bolt. I would do it again and their pricing is hard to beat.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I was up at the North store a few years ago. They had a LOT of really nice HRA's. I noticed very little difference between some of the "Correct" grade guns and the "Service" grade guns on the racks. Lots of really nice guns with LMR barrels and HRA bolts, sometimes with a Post War Springfield trigger group, or a gun with 100% HRA parts but a stock with the incorrect cartouche for the receiver number.

Curiously I'd find some Service Grade Springfields with an HRA trigger group, or find a really nice HRA 1/2" stamp stock on a typical mix-master gun with a lot of metal wear. I put 2 and 2 together and come up with what I think was their plan to help keep their shelves stocked with rifles of each grade. My assumption (not confirmed) is that when they opened up the crates of the really nice correct and unfired HRA's, that after taking apart for inspection and basic cleaning, they intentionally mixed in a few parts from other guns to help make some Service grade rifles.

If I had the cash at the time, it would have been easy to by 3 rifles to make 2 correct HRA's and then have one left over mix-master service grade gun. I did do this with 2 Winchesters and ended up getting a gun that was "complete" WRA except for the Uber-rare op-rod and stock.

So, the point is that even if they don't have exactly what you want, if you have the $$ on hand, you might be able to piece it together from parts on other guns.

Top Bottom