• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Including wood stoves and fireplaces in the same category, they said this: “Utah’s Division of Air Quality is currently working on a regulation that would require wood stoves either to be removed at the time of the next real estate transfer or certified compliant with EPA standards. This would be an improvement, but as the evidence piles up of the impact of wood smoke, only a full ban is sufficiently protective of human health. ”
    Only a full ban is acceptable!

The EPA Is Going to Regulate Wood-Burning Fireplaces Out of Existence | www.independentsentinel.com

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Insurance companies are already moving toward no indoor wood burning. A huge percentage of the population in our county heat with wood so I don't know how they would implement a ban on wood stoves and fireplaces.

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    What the hell??
    I'm installing one now.. i guess i need to hurry..

Isn't wood-buring, like controlled fires... wild fires.. a part of nature? Now it must be banned? Does Bloomburg own the EPA?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    What the hell??
    I'm installing one now.. i guess i need to hurry..

Isn't wood-buring, like controlled fires... wild fires.. a part of nature? Now it must be banned? Does Bloomburg own the EPA?

That link says Utah is working on banning them, but I suspect others will try to follow. My understanding of the insurance thing is because too many are improperly installed and then the house burns down. Our insurance inspected ours before we had them added to the policy. We get a surcharge but it is still way cheaper than paying to run the furnace.

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    Yea, I can see the insurance worrying.. but then I do have a fire hydrant in my front yard.. so I figure the two should cancel each other out.. right? :D

I'll keep an eye on this as it develops...

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Doesn't St. Joe county have some regulations on them or is it just on outdoor wood burners? It seems like I saw that they had regulations in place or had tried to pass some.

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    I've seen just install/distance regs. We are having it professtionally installed and inspected, so should be good. BUT I will ask on the side just to be sure.
    I'll have a Vermont Castings series with a cat-converter. Looking forward to enjoying the comfort this coming winter. My luck it will be a mild winter.. but I don't mind.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I've seen just install/distance regs. We are having it professtionally installed and inspected, so should be good. BUT I will ask on the side just to be sure.
    I'll have a Vermont Castings series with a cat-converter. Looking forward to enjoying the comfort this coming winter. My luck it will be a mild winter.. but I don't mind.

That is what we have for our main stove. It heats our entire house most of the season. We have a smaller Resolute (older model) in the living room that we use to supplement if it gets below zero. Our house is never hot, but the basement family room where the big stove is is toasty. I like the bedrooms cooler anyway. Vermont Castings is hard to beat. Quality stoves that last forever. We have to replace the cat every couple of years but we burn it 24/7 from November thru March at least.

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    ...... Vermont Castings is hard to beat. Quality stoves that last forever. We have to replace the cat every couple of years but we burn it 24/7 from November thru March at least.

Thanks for the advice! I've never had a cat-converter before.. so new learning curve for me.

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    Just another way the government can control us. No wood burning will require you to buy some sort of fuel or electric and they can tax that. If you have no power you will need the gov to give or provide you fuel. It's probably to save the children as well.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    When we bought our home in Michigan, the insurance asked us on 3 separate occasions if it had a wood burning stove or fireplace. It does not. I finally inquired as to what difference it made. The answer was $470.00 per year, which is a 60% up charge. If the government doesn't get you, the insurance company will.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Insurance companies are the well paid tax collectors and enforcers of government. Wood is all I use to heat.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    When we bought our home in Michigan, the insurance asked us on 3 separate occasions if it had a wood burning stove or fireplace. It does not. I finally inquired as to what difference it made. The answer was $470.00 per year, which is a 60% up charge. If the government doesn't get you, the insurance company will.

Our policy shows a $500 surcharge for the wood stoves even with it piped into a masonry chimney. When we considered taking the stoves out and just using the furnace instead of dealing with the chimney cleaning, stove maintenance, dirt, bugs, etc. from bringing the wood into the house, I called to ask how much our insurance payment would go down. I was told our overall payment would only go down about $70 a year. I was scratching my head over that one, but by the time they figure all of the discounts applied to our policy, that is the final figure for the increase in premium.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    Well,I guess I can understand the problem that could be caused by the massive increase in woodburning the country has seen over the last two hundred years....uhhh, wait, something doesn't sound right there but I can't quite put my finger on it. Idiots.

Top Bottom