• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Actually I saw a statistic that said that the percentage of gun deaths that were suicides were 62%.
    this site says 55% : 55 Percent of Gun Deaths in America are Suicide
    this one has some interesting statistics too : AFSP: Facts and Figures: National Statistics

What I would also like to know, how many of these gun deaths are gang related? Are we really to believe that gangs will stop existing/killing/using guns because there is a law to prevent them (oh wait, we already have a law for that)

Not to mention, how many of these gun related deaths are actual SELF-DEFENSE?

I like this guy.

I like how you think. It poses good questions because it doesn't differentiate between the various TYPES of shootings. How many were officer involved? How many were crime related (gangs) vs random encounters (self-defense)? And if it's gang related, how do we even know if it was gang on gang or gang vs random people?

These are the hard questions the media is SUPPOSE to be asking but yet we are still left with the questions.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    How many of those deaths were caused by legally owned firearms? How many suicides? How many of those victims were in gangs? Were gun deaths caused by self defense and police shootings included?

The easier question is "How many of the victims were innocent deaths caused by legal firearms?"

I bet that number is in the hundreds, if not less.

INRanger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    By his logic the safest place in America should be a maximum security prison. No guns no problems right?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The data is enlightening and sheds a clear light on reality. The death toll of Americans lost in the Iraq war is currently at 4,272. The death toll of Americans lost in the World Trade Center 9/11 terrorists attacks is 2,974.
    The death toll of Americans lost in the war in Afghanistan is currently at 677.

The combined death toll for these three national events in which Americans have been violently killed is 7,923.

In 2005, the most current year of firm data, the death toll of Americans to guns in the United States was 43,667.

He's either stupid, or deceitful. I'm no mathematician, in fact, math is one of my poorer subjects, but even I know that percentages are used to give numbers meaning. He cheats by implying that it's more dangerous to simply live in the U.S. than to be in Iraq. Percentages help us see why this is stupid. In a very bad month in Iraq, a soldier had about 1 chance in 100 to die in Iraq. Iraq is a very dangerous place, and this number reflects it. By using his numbers above (and I'm rounding quite a bit) you had about a 1 in 6000 chance of dying in the U.S. from a gun. Control number for suicides, police shootings, and demographics, and it would even more dramatically repudiate his point.

This is an increasing number. In 1996, the death toll to guns in America was 34,000 people.

This number only has meaning when compared to the change in population.

lg.php

Each year in America, over 40,000 men, women, and children are killed with guns. Each year, the number of Americans killed with guns is equal to the total of the combined student bodies of the University of Utah and Weber State University.

This is an emotional comparison that sheds no light on the subject.

This monumental and tragic loss of life receives little notoriety. The daily murders, suicides and accidental deaths committed with guns seem to be just an accepted part of American life. As we silently and respectfully listen to the names read off of those killed in war, we seem to blithely accept the death of literally tens of thousands of Americans killed with guns in America.

Murders are reported extensively, locally. If a very young child dies by a gun, it's reported nationally. Yet very young children are about as likely to die by drowning in a toilet or a mop bucket as they are to die by a gun. When is the last time you read even a local story about a child who drowned in a bucket?

I simply ask "If over 150 fully loaded 757 airliners crashed each year, killing everyone on board, would you accept it as just part of American life?"

This is a very deceitful comparison. When an airliner crashes, many people are killed at once. Something with the potential to kill that many people at one time will always get more scrutiny.

The same question could be asked about the airlines when compared to automobile accidents, which outnumber gun deaths.

His last points don't support the case he built earlier.

This is the point - we can't reach these people. At best they're stupid, at worst, they are lying about their agenda and using deceit to advance it.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Each year in America, over 40,000 men, women, and children are killed with guns. Each year, the number of Americans killed with guns is equal to the total of the combined student bodies of the University of Utah and Weber State University.

Interesting that he doesn't mention how many of these deaths were due to ILLEGAL guns and if these innocent bystanders had been ARMED they would have been able to PROTECT themselves and the death toll would have been reduced to a fraction conducive to "thinning the herd".

I love how folks take part of the information and twist it to serve their own agendas.

I see stupid people.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    He's either stupid, or deceitful. I'm no mathematician, in fact, math is one of my poorer subjects, but even I know that percentages are used to give numbers meaning. He cheats by implying that it's more dangerous to simply live in the U.S. than to be in Iraq. Percentages help us see why this is stupid. In a very bad month in Iraq, a soldier had about 1 chance in 100 to die in Iraq. Iraq is a very dangerous place, and this number reflects it. By using his numbers above (and I'm rounding quite a bit) you had about a 1 in 6000 chance of dying in the U.S. from a gun. Control number for suicides, police shootings, and demographics, and it would even more dramatically repudiate his point.

This number only has meaning when compared to the change in population.

lg.php

This is an emotional comparison that sheds no light on the subject.

Murders are reported extensively, locally. If a very young child dies by a gun, it's reported nationally. Yet very young children are about as likely to die by drowning in a toilet or a mop bucket as they are to die by a gun. When is the last time you read even a local story about a child who drowned in a bucket?

This is a very deceitful comparison. When an airliner crashes, many people are killed at once. Something with the potential to kill that many people at one time will always get more scrutiny.

The same question could be asked about the airlines when compared to automobile accidents, which outnumber gun deaths.

His last points don't support the case he built earlier.

This is the point - we can't reach these people. At best they're stupid, at worst, they are lying about their agenda and using deceit to advance it.

Excellent post!

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Interesting that he doesn't mention how many of these deaths were due to ILLEGAL guns and if these innocent bystanders had been ARMED they would have been able to PROTECT themselves and the death toll would have been reduced to a fraction conducive to "thinning the herd".

I love how folks take part of the information and twist it to serve their own agendas.

I see stupid people.

Great point. They never address the illegal gun issue. As I said above, they also never address just HOW they plan on getting illegal guns off the streets. Are they going to ban guns, but NOT address that issue? Let's just leave the lion his claws AND open the cage door in a crowded room. Ludicrous.

Marshall74

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Michigan
    That moron needs to be banned. Come to think about it, lets ban cars, water, the elderly, the teens, idiots on their cell phone while driving, the blind, food, dangerous jobs, and obesity, criminals and then wrap everyting in big cushy bubble wrap and paint flowers and rainbows on everything! That idiot makes me :puke: and lets ban HIM! Wha a MORON!!! I am so :xmad::xmad::xmad:

Everyone has the right to be stupid...He's abusing that right.

Top Bottom