• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    ....I don't know what will! I sent my direct comments that were none too pleasant. I couldn't help it. BUT at least I didn't cuss him out and call him a fascist.

It's time to stand up to the NRA and amend the Second Amendment - Standard.NET - Standard-Examiner
    It's time to stand up to the NRA and amend the Second Amendment

By ROBERT C. WADMAN

Guest commentary

When it comes to guns, America is "pacing forward in the hell of make believe." The thought that you will protect yourself from an intruder with a gun is nothing more than a gun industry scare tactic and is not supported by research.

The data is enlightening and sheds a clear light on reality. The death toll of Americans lost in the Iraq war is currently at 4,272. The death toll of Americans lost in the World Trade Center 9/11 terrorists attacks is 2,974.
    The death toll of Americans lost in the war in Afghanistan is currently at 677.

The combined death toll for these three national events in which Americans have been violently killed is 7,923.

As you contemplate these tragic numbers and reflect on the individual loss suffered by each death on that person's family, I want to outline the death toll and fantasy created by our unrealistic commitment to the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

In 2005, the most current year of firm data, the death toll of Americans to guns in the United States was 43,667.

This is an increasing number. In 1996, the death toll to guns in America was 34,000 people.

It is significant to point out that the death tolls listed above for the war in Iraq and the war in Afghanistan covers the four years we have been at war.
    lg.php

Each year in America, over 40,000 men, women, and children are killed with guns. Each year, the number of Americans killed with guns is equal to the total of the combined student bodies of the University of Utah and Weber State University.

This monumental and tragic loss of life receives little notoriety. The daily murders, suicides and accidental deaths committed with guns seem to be just an accepted part of American life. As we silently and respectfully listen to the names read off of those killed in war, we seem to blithely accept the death of literally tens of thousands of Americans killed with guns in America.

We shrug our collective shoulders and do nothing. Did the NRA win this war? Has political intimidation forced America's lawmakers to hunker down and accept these deaths?

I simply ask "If over 150 fully loaded 757 airliners crashed each year, killing everyone on board, would you accept it as just part of American life?"
    Barry Goldwater, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, George Bush, and George Walker Bush, these are the people I voted for. But on this issue -- America in general and my political party in particular, has lost its way. Can we stop this internal carnage? The U.S. Constitution should be amended. The word amend means,"to make better." Can we make our U.S. Constitution better?

Stop the nonsense over interpreting the Second Amendment and simply change it. The U.S. Constitution has been changed over 25 times. From the Emancipation Proclamation to term limits for the office of President, our U. S. Constitution has been made better.

Remember, less than 90 years ago women were granted the right to vote.
    These changes to the U.S. Constitution have made it better. Should the hobby of a few and tyranny of the NRA prevent us from taking action to slow the death rate from guns in America? Don't let the gun industry's bombastic bumper sticker slogans block clear thinking.

Think of the loss of freedom and the loss of happiness to over 40,000 dead Americans and their families, each year, when you hear the cry from those whose hobby and income is supported by the arcane rhetoric that swirls around the Second Amendment.

Stop pacing forward in the hell of make believe and support change for a better America.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    By ROBERT C. WADMAN = F-wad.

Nobody better tell this wipe about deaths per year caused by auto accidents.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Wow, that article was logically disjointed... the guy can't even put together a coherent string of thoughts...

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    So if someone was breaking into his house he would not call the cops, cuz they would be armed and a gun being close to him would be to dangerous. We don't need an ARMY either. The world is a happy shiny safe Nerf place. What have we all been thinking all this time. I cant believe i was so wrong......

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    The left is just plain blind, or they are just $$ hungary, I'm giong with the second!!

yes 40 some thousand American's die each year due to guns. Yes that is sad. Yes I wish we could limit that amount.

Yes guns were used an estimated 250,000 (or was it millions) times last year to stop a violent crime from happening.

Yes in countries that have banned guns the gun deaths go down, but the rapes, armed robberries, kidnappings, muggings, and knifings go up.

Are they blind? I don't think so. I think the "anti's" know all the stats, but they take the stance that will make the money, plain and simple.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    is that 40K including SD where a person was found not-guilty?

Yes, but the far more misleading inclusion in that number is suicides. Not sure for the year they are quoting, but for many years suicides have been a substantial portion - around 1/3. When anti-gunners cite their horrific 40K number, they are pretending that all those suicides would be alive today if not for guns. There's no reason to believe this. People who are serious enough about suicde to use a gun will find another way.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    This is the comment i posted there:

Just ONCE I would like to read an anti-gun article that explains just HOW they plan on getting all the illegal guns already out there, off the streets. Making it illegal to own a gun is going to make a gang-banger throw his weapons out? I think not.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    is that 40K including SD where a person was found not-guilty?

Yes. He's not using an honest number, nor is there any honesty to be found in at least the first few paragraphs. I didn't read any further than that. Why waste my time? The man is clearly lacking any semblance of personal or professional integrity. He is manipulating some numbers, and ignoring others, to support his argument. As I said, not an honest tactic, and the extent to which he went to distort his numbers convinces me that he knows them to be false. He's lying to support his political agenda.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    How many die each year from heart failure? We don't have to ban bacon do we?

I know you think you were joking... but have you checked out the nanny state laws regarding "unhealthy" food that are in effect in places like New York City? That sort of stuff spreads like cancer.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Ok he won me over. From now on I will blame the guns for homicides and suicides. Getting rid of guns will clearly rid us of both, because before guns were around we didn't have either. Right?

/sarcasm

DustinG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    Just because they banned guns in the U.K. does not mean that the murders stopped. Stabbings increased substantially and now the U.K. has banned knives under 3" to be carried. They are also thinking about banning glass now in pubs because of barfights. People will kill people with whatever weapon is readily available; if one is banned a new one will be used to kill.

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Actually I saw a statistic that said that the percentage of gun deaths that were suicides were 62%.
    this site says 55% : 55 Percent of Gun Deaths in America are Suicide
    this one has some interesting statistics too : AFSP: Facts and Figures: National Statistics

What I would also like to know, how many of these gun deaths are gang related? Are we really to believe that gangs will stop existing/killing/using guns because there is a law to prevent them (oh wait, we already have a law for that)

Not to mention, how many of these gun related deaths are actual SELF-DEFENSE?

Top Bottom