• ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Was yesterdays news, but the idiot had the nerve to bring it home and take it in. Luckily her husband was smarter than her and called it in. Which leads to my point you see something suspicious do not pick it up and call it in from a safe distance in case of radio frequencies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Was yesterdays news, but the idiot had the nerve to bring it home and take it in. Luckily her husband was smarter than her and called it in. Which leads to my point you see something suspicious do not pick it up and call it in from a safe distance in case of radio frequencies.

Very lucky here but was it set to go or just discarded/lost.
    If she had not found it what could have happened. Loots more to this one.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Very lucky here but was it set to go or just discarded/lost.
    If she had not found it what could have happened. Loots more to this one.

I have no idea it looks like there may be something under the mason jars with the wire running to it. Depending where she found it and from the picture of them detonating it could of blew out some tires, but hard to say as it was found and disposed of before finding out.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

It had a fuse, so radio frequencies wouldn't have done anything. But yeah, taking it inside wasn't the smartest thing to do.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    It had a fuse, so radio frequencies wouldn't have done anything. But yeah, taking it inside wasn't the smartest thing to do.

You never know unless you decide to start messing with it especially if the box was shut and only a "wire" hanging out. The best thing if you see something on the street is to get away to a safe distance just in case and for god's sake not mess with it. We've found IED's in Iraq that would employ a decoy such as a pressure plate or whatnot in order to get you close and then they use whatever the real trigger device is to set it off.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    You never know unless you decide to start messing with it especially if the box was shut and only a "wire" hanging out. The best thing if you see something on the street is to get away to a safe distance just in case and for god's sake not mess with it. We've found IED's in Iraq that would employ a decoy such as a pressure plate or whatnot in order to get you close and then they use whatever the real trigger device is to set it off.
    +1 Things can certainly be different from what they appear...

When I was working in Afg the SF guys were to the point that they were no longer disarming IEDs, just marking them to stay clear of. Seems "they" figured out that when IED's were found we had this "drive" to disarm them. The most common method of disarming included very carefully digging to the side of them to determine just what all was there. So "they" started burying photo-sensitive triggers all around them. Uncover a photo-sensor so it gets light, BOOM. There was no possible way to know where the triggers were or where it was safe to dig.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    Keep in mind what day this article is from. Also remember the IED "explosives" found in the backpack at the LP county fair last year (aka sparkler bombs).

It was more than likely some kids trying to make homemade fireworks/pipe bomb, not blow up a car....Occam's razor and all..or would it be Hanlon's Razor? Both probably apply.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm not quite making the leap to terrorism just yet.

I engaged in making home made "fireworks" using everything from black powder to toilet cleaner and foil when I was younger. I'm not ready to assume that this had ended.

Top Bottom