• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    So, story is, a female musher and her dog team we're attacked by a moose for over an hour, after she had emptied her handgun into said moose. Wondering what she was carrying...

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    She was using a .380, but now has upgraded the caliber...DUH!

Well because a .380 won’t accidentally discharge…DUH! Don’t you know anything about guns?

She said no musher would ever travel with a rifle or a large caliber gun, instead preferring to scare off animals with a flare gun. And with all the jostling of the sled, the larger guns could easily go off.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    "She said no musher would ever travel with a rifle or a large caliber gun, instead preferring to scare off animals with a flare gun. And with all the jostling of the sled, the larger guns could easily go off."

Stupidity knows no limits.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    I feel sorry for the dogs….. while it’s something I will never prolly do I’ve read and watched a great deal on it. Hi powered rifles…. Large bore revolvers …. Have seen them on sleds but can’t say I’ve ever seen a mouse fart 380. Boggles my mind….

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    From the story:
    A good guy with a gun?
    A friend later showed up with a high-powered rifle and killed the moose with one shot

That's a reason to always carry, this is .380 Annie's Step-Mom.
    In the 2016 Iditarod, Zirkle and four-time winner Jeff King were attacked by a man on a snowmobile near the community of Nulato. One dog on King’s team was killed and two others were injured.

This, wow. How bad is leukemia if it took this lady out?
    Another well-known incident of a musher’s run-in with an angry moose happened in the 1985 Iditarod — when the late Susan Butcher came across one while she was leading the race. She used her ax and a parka to fight off the moose, but it killed two of her dogs and injured 13 others. Another musher came along and killed the moose.

She had to withdraw from the race but later won four Iditarod races. Butcher died in 2006 from leukemia at age 51.

These were both from .380 Annie. She decided to burn her Mad Mom's shirt mid-interview it seems.
    She said no musher would ever travel with a rifle or a large caliber gun, instead preferring to scare off animals with a flare gun. And with all the jostling of the sled, the larger guns could easily go off.

"That would be asinine to go back out there on the same trail, the same place, and not have a gun where I can’t truly put down an animal if I have to," she told the news outlet.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I believe what was meant was that a long gun bouncing around in the sled might discharge, her .380 on her person had less of a chance of an AD.

Unfortunately it had less of a chance of stopping a moose.

Hopefully her dogs will recover fully.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Imho, i doubt she would have done much better with a .45acp. I sure would rather have more gun in that situation, but she needed a whole lot more gun.

I live in moose country. I got a 10mm to better deal with moose.

After spending more time around moose, I went back to 9mm. I can't imagine that even suped up 10mm would do much to stop an angry one quick enough to matter.

12 gauge brenneke black magic rounds are my moose medicine, but I am not counting ounces on the Iditarod.

Top Bottom