• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gulfstreamer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Evansville,IN
    Just like the title says. Looking at doing some coyote hunting soon and was wondering what your ideal coyote hunting set up is as far as firearm used, scopes, lights, etc.

zombiekilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    Mt. Vernon
    Right now I'm using my Handi rifle in .243 win along with a Q beam cordless light with red lens. As far as call, I like my Foxpro Spitfire. Hope everything pans out so I can get out Saturday night for some action!

Indianajeff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Indiana
    Right now I'm using a Savage Tactical in .223 with Hornady Vmax, like others have said, get the best glass you can get, if it's Tasco, big deal, it'll work. A bipod or shooting sticks if you can help alot. I don't hunt yotes at night, I hunt them like deer, early morning and late afternoon.

JStarr

Shooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Portland
    I use a decked out AR, but I used to use a Marlin .243 with a cheapo bushnell scope+ kill light 250 is a must for night hunting.

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    160   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    your rifle should be light enough to hump through woods .A surefire g2 w/ red filter and an after market 215 lume bulb (Ebay). a way to attach to rifle or scope . mouth calls are good as long as you dont spend to much on them or are hunting different properties recordable electronic calls are nice but pricy . decoys are great get creative and make your own anything that wiggles or blows in the wind . good camo and scent protection . there ears and eyes can be fooled its there nose thats hard , use the wind direction to your advantage . scope should have illuminated reticle . burris fulfeild lrs 3-9x40 around $300 works great i shoot a remington 700 vtr in .308 but have had alot of luck with .223 w/ 75gr ammo i prefer bolt guns over ar's but its what you like . the internet can teach you allot about characteristics and movements good hunting

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My setup tends to change with my mood, and the location/time I am hunting. For daylight hunting, I use either my AR (223, 55gr gamepoint), for hunting over open fields where long shots would be more common, my WASER, loaded with steel cased hollowpoints for places that shots will likely be under 150 yards, and for night hunting, I carry a 12 gauge loaded with #4buck and an Energizer LED spotlight to light up the treeline. Depending on the terrain, the shotgun has been sufficient for daytime hunting as well. If I know the shots will be in the 400yard+ range, I like to use the old '06, and throw 150gr soft points at them, figure its good practice for if I ever get to go west to hunt deer.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I wouldn't buy a Seven these days. Like every other high potential offering dreamed up by Remington, they make some dumb mistake to knock it off track. The Seven's shortcoming in factory guise it the 40+ ounce plastic stock they clamp to it.

An ideal setup would be along the lines of a Kimber Montana in 223AI, which would easily qualify as light and quick handling, yet be capable of punching two holes in any coyote you could see.

Under distance limited conditions, 200ish yards, a Ruger 77 sporter in KHornet makes a very convincing case for itself.

witdog2020

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Muncie
    I wouldn't buy a Seven these days. Like every other high potential offering dreamed up by Remington, they make some dumb mistake to knock it off track. The Seven's shortcoming in factory guise it the 40+ ounce plastic stock they clamp to it.

An ideal setup would be along the lines of a Kimber Montana in 223AI, which would easily qualify as light and quick handling, yet be capable of punching two holes in any coyote you could see.

Under distance limited conditions, 200ish yards, a Ruger 77 sporter in KHornet makes a very convincing case for itself.

So you didn't mention the Savage 10 Predator? I would think accuracy would be equal to the Ruger 77? As for the Remington I was under the impression this is pretty much the 700 wrapped in camo?

I like the Ruger 77 all weather stainless, but without some removeable camo or some duracoat, it wouldn't be much of an out of the box coyote gun.

I don't own the Remington 7, but I was thinking buying 1 very soon. You have kinda steered me away. I haven't heard any bad reviews, or good for that matter. Ive always been happy with the savage.

The Kimber is a specific dealer kind if item, I was thinking straight off the shelf kind of rifles. If we went that route, would a cooper be a better option than the Kimber?

Just curious, I replied to this post because I'm about to purchase a new coyote combo.

Thanks

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    A Kimber Montana is an off the shelf ready to go rifle, though not in an AI chambering. Whittaker's stocks several. Once you've shot the barrel out of one (or two), PacNor will duplicate the factory contour. I've heard Mike Rock will as well but I haven't needed his services yet. Who knows what trigger time will be conferred on what in 2012 though.

But that is a lot of coyotes.

The biggest difference between the Seven and 700 actions is that the Seven has a shorter rear bridge and a shorter and narrower tang. Sevens are barreled shorter with a lighter profile. That would usually be a good thing but the balance is out of whack on Sevens and as supplied they are very butt heavy. Even in a McMillan Edge, that can't balance as well as the Montana.

Though the one I have in 7-08 will print smaller groups than any hunting rifle I've ever had, and that is a sample size that runs the gamut.

I wouldn't get too hung up on accuracy. A 10 a 7 a 700 a 77 and an 84M would all be capable of minute-of-coyote performance a long ways out. Balance, handling, reliability against the elements, are more decisive factors.

witdog2020

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Muncie
    A Kimber Montana is an off the shelf ready to go rifle, though not in an AI chambering. Whittaker's stocks several. Once you've shot the barrel out of one (or two), PacNor will duplicate the factory contour. I've heard Mike Rock will as well but I haven't needed his services yet. Who knows what trigger time will be conferred on what in 2012 though.

But that is a lot of coyotes.

The biggest difference between the Seven and 700 actions is that the Seven has a shorter rear bridge and a shorter and narrower tang. Sevens are barreled shorter with a lighter profile. That would usually be a good thing but the balance is out of whack on Sevens and as supplied they are very butt heavy. Even in a McMillan Edge, that can't balance as well as the Montana.

Though the one I have in 7-08 will print smaller groups than any hunting rifle I've ever had, and that is a sample size that runs the gamut.

I wouldn't get too hung up on accuracy. A 10 a 7 a 700 a 77 and an 84M would all be capable of minute-of-coyote performance a long ways out. Balance, handling, reliability against the elements, are more decisive factors.

I got ya, whats the MSRP on that Kimber? As I'm probably sure I'll stick with something I'm more familiar with. I was actually looking at replacement barrels for the Savage. They are priced very high, so You may as well buy the more quality gun. Thanks for the update.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Whittaker's Montanas go around $1050. I see them change hands on the used market in the $750-$800 range fairly often and that is where all but 2 of mine came from.

sittydown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    A lot of guys use shotguns too...the rationale is that if you're going to be calling them in sometimes it's hard to get a good shot with a rifle since they are usually running quickly toward you, then quickly away. It's all a matter of preference I guess. (And whether or not you're planning on keeping the hides or doing taxidermy!)

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If I have the advantage of a second hunter I place them with the rifle where they have a good field of view and fire. I get into the nasty stuff with the shotgun and the calls. If alone I tend to try out the contender pistol in 223. SOmetimes the pistol and shotgun.

The very best time is night with full moon and snow cover something we have not had all year.

I used to use a 22 mag back when the coyotes were first fighting off the fox in the area. On fox the 22 mag rocks. On coyotes it works but you had better be a good tracker if you want to find the body. The old savage 24 in 22mag over 20 guage was a prefect fox gun. Best of both worlds with BB's.

Top Bottom