• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    My last trip to the range pretty much confirmed that if I want to do any midrange distance shooting with my eyesight I'm going to need a good scope on my AR and M1A. I was seriously looking at the Burris MTAC setup but I don't really like that 11" length on an AR plus I think it is more scope than I really need for my everyday range plinking but the reviews are so good on it and I found a decent deal for the scope and mount. Problem is it is at Optics Planet and I know a lot of people don't like them which has me a little worried.

I have been doing a lot of looking for alternative 1-4x scopes with illuminated reticles but I keep going back to the MTAC. I didn't want to invest a lot of money on a scope since it is just for range plinking but at the same time I didn't want to buy a bad scope just because it was cheaper. Trying to keep it under $400.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Regarding Optics Planet, maybe someone has had a bad experience with them that I hadn't heard about, but I've had very good luck with them, having purchased two scopes (one Hawke and one Leupold) from them over the years, and they've been reasonably priced and had speedy shipping.
    I have no complaints with them.
    You're certainly not limited to them, though, since Amazon has the MTAC for $350.99 here - Amazon.com : Burris 200437 MTAC 1-4 x 24 Illuminated Scope (Black) : Rifle Scopes : Sports & Outdoors

You can get a lot of scope for $400, so consider yourself fortunate indeed to have that within reach.
    Leupold makes a version with illuminated reticle that looks a bit nicer still, albeit $50 more than your upper price range here - Amazon.com : Leupold Mark AR MOD 1 1.5-4x20mm - Illuminated FireDot-G SPR - 115387 : Sports & Outdoors
    I'm a big fan of Leupold, for their quality, customer service, and the fact that their scopes are made in USA.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Thanks for the info. Optics Planet has the MTAC packaged with a Burris PEPR quick disconnect mount for $403 after discount and free shipping. Not too bad when you consider the QD mount alone is close to $100.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Don't ever buy a scope online without looking through one first

The Burris "QD" PEPR mount sucks

The Burris is a solid scope though, for the price range and limited fingering I did of it, the Bushnell 1-4 isn't bad either.

Could always get a Vortex CF2 1-4 V Brite and an American Defense QD mount, package should be at $400 or a little over and the mount is a lot better, and the scope doesn't cost a ton so you can upgrade down the road to something else if need be

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys. I went ahead and ordered the MTAC with the mount from OpticsPlanet. I couldn't pass up getting that scope for a tad over $300.

M67 I saw your post after I ordered so I'll have to judge the mount after I have it for awhile. I have talked with several owners that use the same set-up that actually love the mount. For my purposes I'm sure it will be more than sufficient.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys. I went ahead and ordered the MTAC with the mount from OpticsPlanet. I couldn't pass up getting that scope for a tad over $300.

M67 I saw your post after I ordered so I'll have to judge the mount after I have it for awhile. I have talked with several owners that use the same set-up that actually love the mount. For my purposes I'm sure it will be more than sufficient.

That mount is fine as long as you dont intend it to return to zero when taking it off and putting it back on.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    And if the PEPR is extended far enough for how you shoot. I shoot NTCH, and it's not offset enough for me.

Another good option if you don't need QD and for it to return to zero is the Primary Arms Deluxe mount. They are really well made (better than the PEPR or SALT mount in my experience).

If you need QD and to return to zero after detaching, go with Larue, AD, or Bobro. They will actually work, but they are expensive.

That mount is fine as long as you dont intend it to return to zero when taking it off and putting it back on.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    oldpink said:
    Regarding Optics Planet, maybe someone has had a bad experience with them that I hadn't heard about, but I've had very good luck with them

Never got a confirmation email but when I checked the website it shows my package as "shipped" on the same day I ordered it. If that's true then I would have to agree with you.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Never got a confirmation email but when I checked the website it shows my package as "shipped" on the same day I ordered it. If that's true then I would have to agree with you.

Yes, their service seems to be plenty quick.
    I still have and use both of the scopes I ordered from them, one (the Hawke) is on my Marlin 1894 deer rifle, and the Leupold is on my Marlin 39A.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Are you saying that you can no longer get a clear front sight? If that is all it is, a corrective lens in your rear sight or shooting glasses will fix that pretty easily.

I was 48 when I lost my front sight. I have used a lens in my rear sight ever since.

Last edited:

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Are you saying that you can no longer get a clear front sight? If that is all it is, a corrective lens in your rear sight or shooting glasses will fix that pretty easily.

I was 48 when I lost my front sight. I have used a lens in my rear sight ever since.

I use bifocal shooting glasses to get a clear view of the front sight. Up to 25 yds I have no problems, it's when I get around 50yds that I have problems seeing the target. I think targets like bowling pins, bottles, etc. might be ok but as far as paper...forget it.

a corrective lens in your rear sight

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Please explain.

OpticsPlanet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2014
    Northbrook

Hey Cemetery-man,

Your order did in fact ship out the same day. It should be delivered to you by EOD today, or tomorrow. Thank you for shopping with us and I hope that MTAC works out well for you!

-Jeremy L

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Hey Cemetery-man,

Your order did in fact ship out the same day. It should be delivered to you by EOD today, or tomorrow. Thank you for shopping with us and I hope that MTAC works out well for you!

-Jeremy L

Thanks for heads up Jeremy.

Nothing yet. Maybe the postman decided to put it on his rifle!;)

Last edited:

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Did you ever get your MTAC? I will confidently say that you will not be disappointed! I love mine! I use it for coyote hunting, tactical shooting, whatever. Well worth the money, and it makes me finally start noticing what "good glass" is when I see it!

The downside, is I now have several other optics that need replaced as a result...

Top Bottom