I Test Fired My First Build Today and Didn't Die!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    For the past few months I've been working on a Mark II Sten and today was test firing day. Honestly I was pretty scared that something was gonna go terribly wrong but it didn't! Just alot of malfunctions for me to work the bugs out of.

14344736_1190891284265091_2374940859800013995_n.jpg

morrismm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    Brownsburg
    I know the feeling. I said a quick prayer before I test fired my first AR build a few weeks ago. "Dear God, please don't let this blow up in my face." Good luck with solving the malfunctions!

Greyson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2016
    Irvington/Indy
    I'd be interested to hear what the malfunctions were, and how they were resolved.
    I may build something and thus hope to learn from your experience.

mastery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Here
    I think we all get excited to test fire after a build....and have that thought in the back of the mind whether it's going to blow up in our face. Part of the adventure!

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    May I ask where you sourced build parts from? There are still a few affordable sten kits around, but the semi-auto build kits seem kind of $$$ when I've priced them out.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    May I ask where you sourced build parts from? There are still a few affordable sten kits around, but the semi-auto build kits seem kind of $$$ when I've priced them out.

Parts Kit came from Apex during a sale they had. I think it was $135. Barrel and barrel bushing was from STenParts. The semi auto stuff I got from Indianapolis Ordnance. Tube was $75, The Semi kit was $285, and a barrel bushing was $28. It's expensive but worth it unless you can mill the bolt and build your own parts.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I'd be interested to hear what the malfunctions were, and how they were resolved.
    I may build something and thus hope to learn from your experience.

The Striker is riding over the sear. It hasn't been completely resolved yet. I'm gonna try a stronger trigger spring in hopes that the sear will come up higher and catch the striker. Other problems are mostly magazine related. All of my $5 mags are out of spec. So the bolt will sometimes catch on the feed lips on a few or not pic up the next round.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Someone I knew . . . Ok, it was me, shot his first build around a tree as a kid.:D

Was it a Sturmgewehr 44 with a Krummlauf on it? ;)

rthetghdrfdf.jpg

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    For the past few months I've been working on a Mark II Sten and today was test firing day. Honestly I was pretty scared that something was gonna go terribly wrong but it didn't! Just alot of malfunctions for me to work the bugs out of.

View attachment 50162

I have built several Sten's and helped others with trouble shooting a few unsuccessful builds. The Mark II was my first build. I might be able to talk you threw the issues if you haven't resolved it yet.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I have built several Sten's and helped others with trouble shooting a few unsuccessful builds. The Mark II was my first build. I might be able to talk you threw the issues if you haven't resolved it yet.

It's mostly about how I was dumb and didn't check angles before I welded the trigger housing on. So the sear and and trigger bar are kind of at an angle so the striker is riding over it. I think I have worked around that but we will see tomorrow. The trigger is kind of odd in mind though because it doesnt really "break". The sear just moves up and down like it doesn't reset or something. Hard to explain.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Here is a post from another thread I wrote an answer to. some of the info may apply:

If you haven't gotten your Sten to run 100% yet I can give you some good tips on trouble shooting it. If you determine the mag well alignment is a problem I can give you a few tips on using the bolt as an alignment jig when you reweld it.

Hammer/striker following the bolt home is a common issue on builds. First instinct is the springs to heavy, cut it. But anything close to the factory measurements will work. You can tweak it to lighten the pull back but you can end up with a bolt that flops around loose when it's forward or end up with light primer strikes. Reset issues seem to be more common on the Mark III. It usually turns out to be the disconnector (the L shaped lever) It either doesn't have enough travel (worn on end that touches the bolt) or sloppy side to side movement from the slot in the receiver being to wide or forgetting to weld the tabs that hold it center to defeat the Semi/Auto selector. The worn lever can be replaced or just build up the edge that rides on the bolt with a weld and grind flat and smooth.

To test, take bottom cover off & remove the mag and check that the chamber is empty. Then pull the bolt back and look at it's travel. If the disconnector doesn't move up and down when the bolt travels front and back, then it won't reset the sear on the follow up shots. To test you can hold the trigger down (don't release it) and pull the bolt back then let go of the cocking handle and the hammer should catch the sear and stay there. That confirms the FCG is working correctly. Any issues then trouble shoot it appropriately.

A badly worn sear can cause issues too. If you want to PM me your ph # I can talk you threw everything and anything to make it work right if you get stumped. I know the gun really well. I have helped a lot of guys trouble shoot their Sten builds. I don't mind doing it. You will have a fun gun to shoot when you get the bugs worked out. Don't settle for less then 100% function. You can make it work. It's awesome to see another Sten builder on the forum.

Larry

Top Bottom