• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gary72

Plinker
    Dec 17, 2012
    North Central IN
    I just ordered a Custom Johnson safe. The BR-660 is normally a two door safe measuring 60” wide x 72” tall by 28” deep. I had the depth increased to 30” to take advantage of the space I have along with making it easier to add some hanging storage on the inside of the door. I also had lighting and humidity control added as options and will have Jeff deliver and fasten the safe to my concrete floor. I have the tools to do this, but his rates are fair and it makes sure this important chore is not delayed. Securing a safe to the floor means it has to be broke into on site, something most criminals do not care to do. In about 4 to 6 weeks I should have plenty of room for what I now have plus what I may add in the future. "Update" Turns out Jeff must have got a lot of Christmas orders like mine. I now expect it to arrive the middle of March so about 10 weeks. Hopefully he has caught up some by now March 2nd.

I looked at about every type and brand of safe available and found Jeff’s safes the best value. The much lighter and less expensive safes made overseas may be OK for keeping the honest and under aged from accessing what is in the safe, but they just do not match up with a Johnson safe, even his less expensive JS series. The BR series includes 3/8” plate doors, 7 gauge bodies, continuously welded seams, heavy duty hinges, ceramic insulation and quality hardware which make for a safe that I can trust to defy all but the best burglars and most any house fire. Jonson safes have a 2,600 degree 1 hour fire rating due to the solid welding and ceramic insulation which is important if the contents are to make it through a fire in good condition. The 1,200 degree 45 to 90 minute ratings fall short in a large house fire. For sure no one is going to easily carry it off with an empty weight of over 1,800 lbs. J

As always Jeff was fun to banter with during the placing of the order and when I was having trouble deciding how to outfit the shelves it was good to hear that if my needs change down the road he will take care of the change. I feel very comfortable purchasing this well built safe built just north of Indy.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Jul 3, 2010
    I just ordered a Custom Johnson safe. The BR-660 is normally a two door safe measuring 60” wide x 72” tall by 28” deep. I had the depth increased to 30” to take advantage of the space I have along with making it easier to add some hanging storage on the inside of the door. I also had lighting and humidity control added as options and will have Jeff deliver and fasten the safe to my concrete floor. I have the tools to do this, but his rates are fair and it makes sure this important chore is not delayed. Securing a safe to the floor means it has to be broke into on site, something most criminals do not care to do. In about 4 to 6 weeks I should have plenty of room for what I now have plus what I may add in the future.

I looked at about every type and brand of safe available and found Jeff’s safes the best value. The much lighter and less expensive safes made overseas may be OK for keeping the honest and under aged from accessing what is in the safe, but they just do not match up with a Johnson safe, even his less expensive JS series. The BR series includes 3/8” plate doors, 7 gauge bodies, continuously welded seams, heavy duty hinges, ceramic insulation and quality hardware which make for a safe that I can trust to defy all but the best burglars and most any house fire. Jonson safes have a 2,600 degree 1 hour fire rating due to the solid welding and ceramic insulation which is important if the contents are to make it through a fire in good condition. The 1,200 degree 45 to 90 minute ratings fall short in a large house fire. For sure no one is going to easily carry it off with an empty weight of over 1,800 lbs. J

As always Jeff was fun to banter with during the placing of the order and when I was having trouble deciding how to outfit the shelves it was good to hear that if my needs change down the road he will take care of the change. I feel very comfortable purchasing this well built safe built just north of Indy.

Sounds like a great safe. Looking forward to seeing some pics, etc when it is done.

What is the lead time on something like that (looks like you are saying 4-6 weeks but wanted to confirm) , and if you don't mind sharing, what does a total package like that run, including delivery/installation, etc?

Indy60

Expert
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    I just ordered a Custom Johnson safe. The BR-660 is normally a two door safe measuring 60” wide x 72” tall by 28” deep. I had the depth increased to 30” to take advantage of the space I have along with making it easier to add some hanging storage on the inside of the door. I also had lighting and humidity control added as options and will have Jeff deliver and fasten the safe to my concrete floor. I have the tools to do this, but his rates are fair and it makes sure this important chore is not delayed. Securing a safe to the floor means it has to be broke into on site, something most criminals do not care to do. In about 4 to 6 weeks I should have plenty of room for what I now have plus what I may add in the future.

Just curious, Will it fit through the door of your house and how the heck are you going to move 1800 pounds of steel?

Gary72

Plinker
    Dec 17, 2012
    North Central IN
    Let's take the questions one at a time.

1. Lead Time: Jeff said it would be about 4 weeks. A little less if everything went well and possibly a week or two more if they did not. Probably 3 to 4 weeks, but Jeff rarely over promises.

2. It's a really big safe: I do have a fair amount of stuff, but I will have a lot of room for more with the new safe. I got tired of having to pull things out and move things around to get to things in my older smaller safe which was crammed full. Hopefully I will be able to get to everything easily for quite a while now. I also will be adding some things like files etc. to the safe that I have not had room for in the past. In any event I figured out what the cost was per cu. ft. was and Jeff’s 46” x 28” x 60” and his 60” x 28” x 72” safes were tied for the least expensive per cu. ft. It was bigger than I need now and probably bigger than I will ever need, but that means things will be easier to find with lots of room to spread out.

3. What was the price?: Jeff has a web site at Johnson Safe and he lists his prices there. His prices haven't changed for quite a while, I assume he has improved his efficiencies in construction or raw material purchasing to keep them there. He also doesn't dicker so you know someone else isn't getting a deal because you paid too much. When you compare to lesser safes, particularly the larger heavier models he is right with their pricing with a much better safe. That's why I called his safes a great value. The extra two inches of depth cost $150/inch on my 60" wide by 6' tall safe and Jeff adjusts it to the size of the safe on the smaller ones. Let him know what custom size you want and he will tell you what the price will be.

4. Will it go through my doors?: The reason most larger safes are only 26", 28" or once in a while 30" deep is because of existing doors. The safe has to go through your door and that has to be taken into consideration when you are buying a safe. Having designed and built my own house gave me an advantage as I have access to my basement that will easily allow for the custom 30" in depth which becomes width when the safe is being moved. You have to look at what your home offers in the way of places to put a safe and then make sure that what you buy can be brought through the doors, turned around any corners that are present etc. Most houses will handle the weight of most safes, think refrigerator, but if you get much over 1,000 lbs I would check with a construction contractor to make sure the floor will take the weight. Stairs may present an issue, but there are ways of getting around even those though getting the safe up or down them may cost a little extra. I have seen Jeff handle stairs on a friends delivery and he got down them with no damage, though with a little sweat. ;)

5. How do you move 1,800 lbs.: Actually pretty easily in my case. Jeff has a special safe trailer that will bring the safe to my home right up to the entry. A common pallet moving jack will take it the last 20' to it final position. My first safe came in my front door and we did it similarly moving it from my trailer to the porch with my loader tractor, then moved it with a borrowed pallet jack into the house and finally believe it or not on super slick rug pads the rest of the way across the carpeted floor. I am a pretty big guy, but with four 12"x8" moving pads I was able to move it by myself. It was easier than I would have believed across the carpet. Even though I could place the new safe by myself with a friend, it is easier and safer to let Jeff who has moved hundreds of safes, move it and secure it to the concrete floor. If you know what you are doing it makes a big difference and Jeff's rates are fair enough that it wasn't worth my risking an injury, damage to the safe or the chance that I might put off fastening it down until I have time and it becomes months or a couple years to get around to it. Better to get it over and done with on delivery day.

The key is think through what your house will allow and discuss it with someone like Jeff before you make the purchase to make sure you don't find yourself with the safe half way to where you want it and then realize you can't get it the rest of the way. :(

Last edited:

tyme2climb

Plinker
    Dec 26, 2012
    Mt. Vernon
    I just called him yesterday. Was set on Sturdy before I found Johnson on INGO. I like to spend my $ in the Hoosier State, so I thought I'd see what he had to offer. Answered his phone on a Sunday, answered all my ?'s, took the time to bs a little w/ me. He is going to get my business! A few measurements, then placing my order. Thanks INGO!:ingo:

yotewacker

Expert
    Feb 25, 2009
    Jeff is a stand up guy. I have bought 3 safes from him. Always does what he says he will do.

Remember to get some chocolate also. lol

tyme2climb

Plinker
    Dec 26, 2012
    Mt. Vernon
    Called Jeff today. Worked out the details and ordered my first gun safe.:rockwoot:
    Been meaning to get one for three years. Glad I finally commited-told myself I couldn't buy any more guns until I bought a safe-that made it easy. I was looking at another safe manufacturer, but for what I was going to pay for a 7ga. NON fireproof safe delivered to curbside, Jeff could do a 7ga. FIRE safe delivered, installed and bolted down! Oh yeah, and it's 3 cu. ft. bigger.

quake

Plinker
    Feb 28, 2011
    I was looking at another safe manufacturer, but for what I was going to pay for a 7ga. NON fireproof safe delivered to curbside, Jeff could do a 7ga. FIRE safe delivered, installed and bolted down! Oh yeah, and it's 3 cu. ft. bigger.

I bet that "other" safe you were looking at was a Sturdy, no? :). I looked at them before, and considered buying one. Sturdy's a great safe, but I think it's hard to beat the local guy. Johnson Safe is top-notch. Good decision, and congratulations. :yesway:

tyme2climb

Plinker
    Dec 26, 2012
    Mt. Vernon
    BINGO!

I bet that "other" safe you were looking at was a Sturdy, no? :). I looked at them before, and considered buying one. Sturdy's a great safe, but I think it's hard to beat the local guy. Johnson Safe is top-notch. Good decision, and congratulations. :yesway:

I agree, Sturdy makes a great product; keeping my $ local was important though, and after talking with Jeff I feel I made the right decision. Hoosiers gotta stick together!

Gary72

Plinker
    Dec 17, 2012
    North Central IN
    Jeff delivered my safe over the weekend to beat the rain. Backed his trailer up to my walk out basement doors and placed the safe using a pallet jack. (New Edit)The process gettng it in, the color and the accessories are the same as Aszerigan's safe here. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...nson_safe_delivery_03_19_2013_seven_pics.html

The main differences are mine is 60" wide, is an extra 2" deeper than normal at 30" to give some space for hanging things on the inside of the doors with 2 doors instead of 1. I had Jeff drill and fasten it to my concrete floor to make sure it got done. It is so shiny and reflective it is difficult to take photos due to everything in the room reflecting in it like a mirror. :) Sounds like Jeff has had a great first quarter with delivery dates out into December.

Here are some photos (Still can't get photos imbeded, FAQ instructions don't match what I see in the software so here is a link to the 8 photos)

New Safe - a set on Flickr

Last edited:
    Top Bottom