• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not this one. Besides, the last 4 races have had by far the most lead changes of any 4 Indy 500's, ever. How is that a parade?

A buddy of mine is a cop who worked the track area last night. He said it was as crowded as he's ever seen. Ever. Bobby Unser said this year's race has had more hype than he's ever experienced, as well.

The hundredth running is a big deal, and is as big as it ever was. Maybe not for qualifying day crowd, but Carb day appeared as large as ever, and they haven't cut off infield ticket purchases before, at least in my lifetime.

I can also say that the last 4 or so years, the empty bleachers between the short chutes have become less and less so. Last year was the best in many years for those seats.

I'll let you know how it looks today. Btw, I've not seen scalping prices like this before, either. Not even at the peak of the race's popularity, before the split.

Lets see how things go next year.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    The gang is hanging in the driveway.

I obviously didn't make it by. We were assigned to the 25/G-town area the whole night and the only time I left was to go to the bomb squad office to drop off some homemade "M-80s" that some moron was lighting and throwing in the crowd. Now I am sitting downtown guarding the crime scene for the 4 people shot. At least I've been making OT since 0400 and I'm eating cheesecake that VUPD's girlfriend made me, so its not all bad.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I obviously didn't make it by. We were assigned to the 25/G-town area the whole night and the only time I left was to go to the bomb squad office to drop off some homemade "M-80s" that some moron was lighting and throwing in the crowd. Now I am sitting downtown guarding the crime scene for the 4 people shot. At least I've been making OT since 0400 and I'm eating cheesecake that VUPD's girlfriend made me, so its not all bad.
    Sounds like a fun night.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I figured you would be busy. The traffic has been non-stop all night.
    The kids were down at 25th and Georgetown at a good friends place.
    He has a yard full of cars/campers. The kids (in their 30's) go there every year. People watching.
    Were you involved with the chase when the drunk took the Kubota.....:):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm guessing smaller than this year, bigger than last year.

Yup.
    Say what you will....the one chassis spec car has killed this event.
    The hype this year has put it back on the front page but this will fade again.
    they have to scramble to get 33 cars to fill the field. No bump day drama. NADA.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I figured you would be busy. The traffic has been non-stop all night.
    The kids were down at 25th and Georgetown at a good friends place.
    He has a yard full of cars/campers. The kids (in their 30's) go there every year. People watching.
    Were you involved with the chase when the drunk took the Kubota.....:):

I stood back and watched some younger officers and some not-so-smart older officers chase him. I only run when I absolutely have to.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    Backed up as far as I can see. It has be non-stop all night.

Last night I had the itch to wander up and down g-town like we did back in the day, but zonked out on the couch instead. Watching channel 6 this am and it looks like a good crowd. As a long time Indycar fan, I hope it continues.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    One thing I really miss about the race was Reid Duffy's TV news post-race news report.

Remember he'd be sitting on an old sofa or arm-chair in the infield, usually with an abandoned grill and/or vehicle behind him. He'd give his own statistics of the race: How many vehicles were left in the infield, how many tons of beer cans and pop cans, how many bales of paper trash, how many blankets, chairs, coolers, and all manner of stuff.

It was always the last race-related thing of the day and it always kind of put a bow on the day for me.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Not this one. Besides, the last 4 races have had by far the most lead changes of any 4 Indy 500's, ever. How is that a parade?

A buddy of mine is a cop who worked the track area last night. He said it was as crowded as he's ever seen. Ever. Bobby Unser said this year's race has had more hype than he's ever experienced, as well.

The hundredth running is a big deal, and is as big as it ever was. Maybe not for qualifying day crowd, but Carb day appeared as large as ever, and they haven't cut off infield ticket purchases before, at least in my lifetime.

I can also say that the last 4 or so years, the empty bleachers between the short chutes have become less and less so. Last year was the best in many years for those seats.

I'll let you know how it looks today. Btw, I've not seen scalping prices like this before, either. Not even at the peak of the race's popularity, before the split.

This is spot on. I grew up here and now work here, and I have never seen it like this. There will always be those "not as good as when I was there" folks!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is spot on. I grew up here and now work here, and I have never seen it like this. There will always be those "not as good as when I was there" folks!

I have seen it bigger back in the day.
    Campers in the coke field from opening day.
    Vendors open all day every day for the 30 days of may.
    150,000 plus on Pole day.
    The north 40- filled to the hilt on the day before carb day. Then 30th gets shut off and the zombies walk.....:):

Top Bottom