• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Yesterday afternoon, after spending a few hours in Greensburg, the wife and I stopped over at Harvest to see if we could get some produce for supper. I dropped her off at the door and found a parking spot.

As I was waiting, I noticed a young woman (early to mid twenties) with a young child (not more than two) in a car. The mother was fiddling around before she got out, and the toddler was asleep in his carseat in the back.

As Sockmonkey walked out to the truck, the mother got out of her car and stood there with the door open looking in at her child. I saw the gears turning in her mind about her decision. She looked at me briefly, looked back down at her child, shut the door, and walked inside the store. My jaw hit the floor.

Sockmonkey climbed into the truck, and I stated that the mother just left her child in the car. She looked and saw the sleeping boy. I debated for about 10 seconds whether or not to call the police.

I picked up my cell phone and called the GPD non-E number and told the dispatcher what was going on. She said she'd let them know. Not too long after I hung up, the mother comes sauntering up to the car with a bottle of lemonade from the store, and an ice cream cone from the vendor in the parking lot. She slides into her car, starts up and leaves.

I wait for a couple of minutes to see if an officer would show, but I eventually decided that I wasn't going to wait however long it would take to give a meaningless report, so I called the non-E number again and told them to disregard since she drove off.

Two things on my mind. One, how the hell could you look and see someone watching you, and still make the stupid decision to leave your child in the car? I'm not your gorram babysitter. Two, if she'd have been longer, and the unit hadn't shown up, how am I going to bust that window and get that kid? I have a window hammer in the glove box for entrapment situations.

It was 80° at least outside yesterday afternoon. Yes, the windows were rolled down about four inches. Your child's safety is paramount to your child's nap time. Is your lemonade and ice cream cone worth the cost of a busted window, a child endangerment charge, and potential health concerns? I don't care if it was just a minute or two. After I call the cops on your sorry ass, I'm mentally preparing to break into your car and protect your kid from you. She was lucky that she came back before I could initiate that step.

Stupid.

Joq867

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Brooksville
    I don't know about breaking the window, there could be some legal ramifications for that. I would just monitor the situation either from my vehicle or standing next to hers, and if the child started showing signs of distress, then action would be taken. I think it would be bast to wait for law enforcement, unless it became completely nessesary to take action. We live in a very litigious society, and I think the mother might argue that you may have put her child in danger by breaking a window. Reference the Kroger manager being sued for saving a robbery victim. Remember " No good deed goes unpunished".

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Wow. I have no words for this. Sometimes I feel so sorry for children. I was out an about one day (yes it was at WalMart) and was walking back to my car after doing some shopping. Some woman was literally screaming at her daughter who was maybe 4 or 5 years old. Calling her every name in the book. Telling her she was a "useless mother***" and that she was such a moron, etc, etc, etc. It was appalling. I gave her a nasty look but chose not to actually call her out on her vile behavior for fear that she would retaliate and beat that poor little girl when she got home. Some people simply shouldn't have kids.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Wow. I have no words for this. Sometimes I feel so sorry for children. I was out an about one day (yes it was at WalMart) and was walking back to my car after doing some shopping. Some woman was literally screaming at her daughter who was maybe 4 or 5 years old. Calling her every name in the book. Telling her she was a "useless mother***" and that she was such a moron, etc, etc, etc. It was appalling. I gave her a nasty look but chose not to actually call her out on her vile behavior for fear that she would retaliate and beat that poor little girl when she got home. Some people simply shouldn't have kids.

I've called out people on the behavior before. I have told parents who were berating their children with horrible language off a time or two. I have said that they were despicable people and unfit parents. The two times I have spoken up they seemed so surprised that someone stood up to them that they just walked away in silence.

Last edited:

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've called out people on the behavior before. I have told parents who were berating their children with horrible language off a time or to. I have said that they were despicable people and unfit parents. The two times I have spoken up they seemed so surprised that someone stood up to them that they just walked away in silence.

Trust me I was on the verge. However, I also know how some of those people work. They got embarrassed and it was somehow their kid's fault so the kid gets beat. I'm not certain this woman was one of those people, but I would rather be safe than sorry. She was VERY aware of my thoughts about her behavior by the daggers coming out of my eyes at her. She shut her mouth quickly when I stared her down. I just don't want a child to go through even MORE crap because I can't keep my mouth shut. I'm not the one who will have to deal with any aftermath. Her child is. I just don't see how people can treat their kids that way. My kids drive me nuts sometimes but I would never even dream of treating them even half that terribly.

kabob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2013
    I don't know about breaking the window, there could be some legal ramifications for that. I would just monitor the situation either from my vehicle or standing next to hers, and if the child started showing signs of distress, then action would be taken. I think it would be bast to wait for law enforcement, unless it became completely nessesary to take action. We live in a very litigious society, and I think the mother might argue that you may have put her child in danger by breaking a window. Reference the Kroger manager being sued for saving a robbery victim. Remember " No good deed goes unpunished".

It's a sad state of affairs this country is in that this is the best advice. I'd have done what Joq867 suggests, too.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    It's a sad state of affairs this country is in that this is the best advice. I'd have done what Joq867 suggests, too.

Maybe, maybe not. I won't know what would have happened because she came back and left.

Thankfully, I didn't have to physically do anything. I say thankfully because I didn't relish the idea of busting in, and because she was back within a minute or two. That doesn't excuse her behavior or thought process, but the child was not harmed in this situation.

However, because it worked this time, she may not learn her lesson and will get bolder and bolder about the length of time she does it in the future. She won't get it until it's too late.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've called out people on the behavior before. I have told parents who were berating their children with horrible language off a time or to. I have said that they were despicable people and unfit parents. The two times I have spoken up they seemed so surprised that someone stood up to them that they just walked away in silence.

You did this in front of their kids? Told them they were despicable people and unfit to be parents?

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I saw the gears turning in her mind about her decision. She looked at me briefly, looked back down at her child, shut the door, and walked inside the store. My jaw hit the floor.

As the father of a just over 1 year old, I TOTALLY understand not wanting to wake the kid up for a 2 minute run into the store. The difference is I do wake the sleeping child.

It sucks for both of us, but I made the baby, I need to take care of it...

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    :ugh:

Well, now I'm beginning to understand how the state is having such an easy time supplanting the parent.

I really don't think a two year old understands why Mommy is yelling and cussing at him in a grocery store. I also doubt they would understand when someone tells his mother how inappropriate she is acting. I do think they would understand that Mommy suddenly shut up and started acting like a human.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    As the father of a just over 1 year old, I TOTALLY understand not wanting to wake the kid up for a 2 minute run into the store. The difference is I do wake the sleeping child.

It sucks for both of us, but I made the baby, I need to take care of it...

Absolutely. It sucks. I understand. But I either wait for the kid to wake up or just wake him myself. Usually wait though. And for a lemonade and ice cream? Just find a drive-thru. I do that so I don't have to get the kid out of the car.

ETA: Being a parent isn't about what's convenient for me anymore.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I left my dog in my truck for about an hour with the ac running. It felt kind of wierd but it worked. Am I a bad doggy parent? I wouldn't do that with a child though.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    Maybe you should have said something politely. Perhaps in her mind she was doing nothing wrong but was worried that you were psycho and might do something like break her window and take her kid.

Top Bottom