I got a new to me rifle, want to know how to load it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I personally like pyrodex (black powder substitute) better than Black powder 3F. Seems to me to be a lot less fouling, and is a lot easier to find.

One thing no one has stated is that it is handy is to insert your Ramrod to the bottom with a clean barrel. put a piece of tape, paint or light notch so you can check your barrel to insure their is no load left when you are done firing (and before loading). Also be sure to press the bullet in hard to be sure it is seated. You may want to put a mark on the rod when you are sure you have seated the bullet completely as a second reference so you can check to make sure all the rounds are seated after that.

I am not the expert many others here are but these are just some items I have learned (many the hard way!).

One other thing you asked about bullets stuck in the barrel. Most gun suppliers carry a screw that attaches to your ramrod for this.

I once tried to remove a stuck bullet using air pressure. Hooked up my compressor to the the nipple with a hose and clamp. Opened the valve and the darned bullet came out like it had a powder charge behind it! I was in a back room of my home with concrete floors and that 50 cal ball must have hit the floor, then 4 walls and the ceiling.. Told you I am not an expert - but I know I won't do that again!

yonnie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Oregon
    The pyrodex isn't the same stuff that I've had several warnings about not to use is it? I wouldn't want vital parts disappearing along with my barrel.
    The last owner of the gun said he had it on his wall and didn't recall where he said he got it from. It's 49" tall. The ramrod has a brass cap on each end and looks like it's made of Oak wood. The stock seems to be of a different wood, it could be Walnut at least the grain looks like Walnut, the color is more brown though, could be Oak. The finish was done later by someone with the talents of a child, so It needs a bit of TLC restoration

Attachments

• Muzzle-end.jpg
      Muzzle-end.jpg
      1.3 MB · Views: 9
    • Barrel-stamp.jpg
      Barrel-stamp.jpg
      2.1 MB · Views: 8
    • Rear-sight.jpg
      Rear-sight.jpg
      1.9 MB · Views: 9
    • Lock.jpg
      Lock.jpg
      1.8 MB · Views: 9
    Last edited:

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Are you planning to visit Scheels for your black powder supplies? It looks like they have quite a variety in stock. Family visit or not, you may want to call them or place an order on-line for in store pick-up before traveling that far.

I'd also bring the rifle along ... just in case you need check the fit of something before leaving the area.

yonnie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Oregon
    Are you planning to visit Scheels for your black powder supplies? It looks like they have quite a variety in stock. Family visit or not, you may want to call them or place an order on-line for in store pick-up before traveling that far.

I'd also bring the rifle along ... just in case you need check the fit of something before leaving the area.
    I was thinking of "The Gun Works, Muzzleloaders Emporium", in Springfield. There does not appear to be a Scheels near Oregon.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I was thinking of "The Gun Works, Muzzleloaders Emporium", in Springfield. There does not appear to be a Scheels near Oregon.
    My fingers were working faster than my brain this morning ... you said Oregon (multiple times) ... I read Colorado. Looking closer at Scheels locations, the closest to Oregon are Idaho or Nevada ... both considerably farther than the trip you're planning to Eugene.

I took a quick peek at The Gun Works, Muzzleloaders Emporium website and it looks like they have everything you'll need to get your rifle back in working order ... including a knowledgeable staff. Make sure you pack along your rifle.

Best of success with your rifle.

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Just clean, hot water will do it. Think coffee pot or tea kettle hot. Lower the hammer onto a piece of leather or something to plug the cap hole, then fill the bore with hot water. Let it sit a minute or so, dump it out, repeat until the water comes out clear. Then hit the bore with a brush, rinse it out a few more times, and run patches until dry. At some point, allow water to flow through the cap hole and use a pick or needle or something to clear the fouling out of it. Finally, soak a patch in RemOil, Balistol, or regular gun oil and run it down the bore to coat it and prevent rust. This is important, the hot water usually strips the oil out of the bore and it will oxidize fast.

Use FFFG or equivalent, probably between 40-65 grains. It probably takes #11 caps. Both are difficult to find right now. .440 balls will probably do it. Do yourself a favor and pick up pre-lubed patches, as well. If you're local, I suggest a trip to Deer Creek Products in Waldron, but call ahead to have them pull what you're looking for.

You'll need all the stuff for black powder shooting. Ball starter, powder measure, flask, etc. Never load directly from the spout of the flask, because if the powder flashes the flask will explode. Pour into a measure or spent brass casing or something before dumping down the bore.

It's also a good idea to get a brass ramrod for the range, preferably with a handle that can be smacked to beat it out of the bore if it gets stuck. Be realistic and understand that by five or six shots it will be difficult to load, and by about ten shots you will be hitting the limit of your ability to beat a ball down the bore. At that point you will have to transition to undersized or unpatched balls. Don't get your ramrod stuck in the bore trying to clean between shots at the range.

Congratulations, black powder is a hoot.
    Crisco or bore butter for after clean. I've never put regular gun oil on a m/l bore.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Crisco or bore butter for after clean. I've never put regular gun oil on a m/l bore.
    One thing that I was told to do as a precaution was to fire a cap or two prior to shooting if the gun had been cleaned, just to "burn off" any oil/solvent that might cause an ignition problem with the first powder load. Don't know if it was an old wives tale or not, but it made sense to me.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    One thing that I was told to do as a precaution was to fire a cap or two prior to shooting if the gun had been cleaned, just to "burn off" any oil/solvent that might cause an ignition problem with the first powder load. Don't know if it was an old wives tale or not, but it made sense to me.
    Do old wives tales come from listening to old husbands cussing after, well, learning from experience?

Litebow

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Near Avon
    Not an old wivestail. I have been shooting muzzleloaders since 1978, and have been shooting at the national matches down at Friendship every year since the early 80s. You will see lots of folks doing it. Hold your muzzle next to a leaf or clump of grass and you will see it move when you fire. You can sometimes tell the difference between the first and second shot by the increased movement, so you know firing a cap is cleaning out the touch hole.
    You will also see most folks wiping between shots. Sure makes reloading easier.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Especially fore new muzzle loader shooters, I like to suggest the following.
    Drop your ramrod down into the muzzle with an empty barrel. No powder, patch, or projectile.
    Now mark the ramrod at the muzzle. A piece of tape is ideal for this purpose.

When you load into a clean barrel, mark the ramrod again at the muzzle, with a full load.
    The idea is you MUST seat the projectile directly on top of the powder.
    Do NOT leave an air-gap between the bullet and powder.

Watching these marks for the first few loads will get you familiar with where the ramrod should be, whether the barrel is empty or loaded.
    As stated upthread, each subsequent round fired makes it exponentially more difficult to seat the next round.

Some of the powder substitute pellets actually tell you to seat the bullet deep enough to "crush" the pellets. You can feel them crunch ever so slightly.

Have fun.
    That's a beautiful rifle, and it is indeed in great shape.

yonnie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Oregon
    I was shopping for a kit when I mentioned it to my friend and he volunteered this one, said he didn't know the first thing about shooting it. I had built a pistol kit 50 years ago, and also bought a New Navy 36 cal. which I gave to my son. But this rifle looks like a serious well-built piece of equipment meant to use. It's a nice gift. I haven't shot black-powder in decades and I think it's about time I do again.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Had a few .50 cals over the yrs. Like round ball for the lesser recoil.
    Great acccuracy w max hunting loads.
    Back it off 10 gr if just farting around on the range ( like to shoot 50 to 100 yards on range so still like some zip ).

Never have stuck a ball or ramrod.

Never.

Had to pull a roundball once or twice, as was talking and put em on top of each other LOL.

No big deal.....had a puller.

Top Bottom