I got a new to me rifle, want to know how to load it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yonnie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Oregon
    Hey, I got this Bob Tingle beauty made in Shelbyville, IN, it has #552 stamped on it.
    It appears to be a .45 cal with a 32" octagon barrel and looks to be in real beautiful condition. I want to take it out and shoot it. I can't find any info on what type of powder and how much to put in it? I'd like to find a flask with a nipple that measures the correct amount of powder, a suggested type of patch to use and what size of percussion cap to get? I just found out there are different sizes.
    This rifle looks a lot like one one of my ancestors is holding in a painting so taking it out and shooting it really means a lot to me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hey, I got this Bob Tingle beauty made in Shelbyville, IN, it has #552 stamped on it.
    It appears to be a .45 cal with a 32" octagon barrel and looks to be in real beautiful condition. I want to take it out and shoot it. I can't find any info on what type of powder and how much to put in it? I'd like to find a flask with a nipple that measures the correct amount of powder, a suggested type of patch to use and what size of percussion cap to get? I just found out there are different sizes.
    This rifle looks a lot like one one of my ancestors is holding in a painting so taking it out and shooting it really means a lot to me.
    Pics man. We need to actually see what you have.....:):

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    There's an interesting thread on The High Road about a Tingle rifle.

Oh, and I'd start with a .440 round ball (assuming it IS .45) over a pillow ticking patch (.015, roughly) and a MEASURED 50 grains of 2f or 3f black powder. Typically caplocks run a number 11 cap.

I pour my powder from a flask or horn into a separate measure. There are several brand names of black powder out there, and which one you choose is up to you. Just please remember to NEVER use modern smokeless powder. It ignites way too quickly, and will turn your rifle into a pipe bomb. Be very sure to only use black powder. Look for black powder on the label.

CVA and several others have many videos on you tube about safely loading and firing your muzzleloader.

Last edited:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Key point with black powder: your mission is accuracy, you are not trying to 'tear the fabric of the universe', less is more.

I would start at 50gr 2f or 40gr 3f with the same projectile and see where it hits.

Big clouds of smoke, while great in the movies, just means 'waste' in real life. If you can hit center with a light puff of smoke you are doing it like a pro.

jwleeper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have an Esopus swivel barrel in .45 caliber. 60 gr of triple F is a good load. It is plenty hot enough in my 1970s muzzy. I know modern metals are better than the old ones. This is the rifle I shot my 1st IN deer with. I should start Muzzy hunting again.
    Have a great day.
    Jim

yonnie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Oregon
    I'm just concerned about getting the ball stuck in the barrel, and I'm gathering that that is not so much of a worry.?

Litebow

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Near Avon
    Make sure you have a decent loading rod with a jag on the end? If you wipe the bore with a slightly damp patch, followed by a dry patch after each shot, loading will be easier and you be less likely to get a ball or ramrod stuck in your bore. I sometimes use my drying patch, as the damp patch for the next shot. For target shooting I have good results with a 45 using 55 grains of 3f, and a .445 ball. A .440 ball is a little easier to load but not as accurate in my guns. Use a snug patch.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Be sure to read up on cleaning a black powder gun after firing. The residue is extremely corrosive and requires a different cleaning routine than smokeless powder guns.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I don't use actual gun oil in the bore, i use bore butter or similar compounds, I have good luck with a .440 ball and .o15 patch saturated with dawn dish soap, it also helps to keep the barrel cleaner. as to loads i use 55 gr fffg or pyrodex select. Hornady triple seven is a good powder too. as to powder i use fffg in 50 cal and under, ffg in everything above 50 cal. i have shot blackpowder guns since i was 9 yrs old am now 61. i still get them out mostly my revolvers. as to finding components as in caps good luck!!!!

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I've read use soap and water. But what is a good oil to use afterwards?
    Just clean, hot water will do it. Think coffee pot or tea kettle hot. Lower the hammer onto a piece of leather or something to plug the cap hole, then fill the bore with hot water. Let it sit a minute or so, dump it out, repeat until the water comes out clear. Then hit the bore with a brush, rinse it out a few more times, and run patches until dry. At some point, allow water to flow through the cap hole and use a pick or needle or something to clear the fouling out of it. Finally, soak a patch in RemOil, Balistol, or regular gun oil and run it down the bore to coat it and prevent rust. This is important, the hot water usually strips the oil out of the bore and it will oxidize fast.

Use FFFG or equivalent, probably between 40-65 grains. It probably takes #11 caps. Both are difficult to find right now. .440 balls will probably do it. Do yourself a favor and pick up pre-lubed patches, as well. If you're local, I suggest a trip to Deer Creek Products in Waldron, but call ahead to have them pull what you're looking for.

You'll need all the stuff for black powder shooting. Ball starter, powder measure, flask, etc. Never load directly from the spout of the flask, because if the powder flashes the flask will explode. Pour into a measure or spent brass casing or something before dumping down the bore.

It's also a good idea to get a brass ramrod for the range, preferably with a handle that can be smacked to beat it out of the bore if it gets stuck. Be realistic and understand that by five or six shots it will be difficult to load, and by about ten shots you will be hitting the limit of your ability to beat a ball down the bore. At that point you will have to transition to undersized or unpatched balls. Don't get your ramrod stuck in the bore trying to clean between shots at the range.

Congratulations, black powder is a hoot.

yonnie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Oregon
    The closest place I know of for supplies is 140 miles away in Eugene, OR. Is there a size spec for the percussion cap? The nipple diameter on mine is: 0.162".

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    The closest place I know of for supplies is 140 miles away in Eugene, OR. Is there a size spec for the percussion cap? The nipple diameter on mine is: 0.162".
    They vary slightly by manufacturer but generally #11 is the size type for rifles.

Reactions: Leo

yonnie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Oregon
    I tried this a few times, the stores either aren't organized well enough to find stuff and they also charge extra to mail powder. I'm just going to drive there! Besides, I might learn something by browsing around. Got family I haven't seen in awhile anyway, good excuse.

Top Bottom