• ...and so much more!
  • baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    and bought some reloading equipment...:D

I've been on the edge for a very long time, just never could bring myself to do it. I recently had a family member pass away, and inherited a Super Redhawk in 480 ruger. I realized that finding ammo local was next to impossible so i took the leap.

A buddy at work had a Lee Anniversary kit NIB, speer 14th ed. reloading manual, and three reloading trays that he sold me for the rock bottom price of $60. A quick visit on midway this morning got me 44 mag and 480 ruger dies, brass (44 mag x 200, 480 ruger x 100), bullets, calipers and a digital scale. I purchased two pounds of Winchester 296 and 400 federal magnum large pistol primers yesterday from big r, also bought some ammo boxes .

I think i'll cut my teeth on the pistol calibers first, then move into the .223, .243 and 300 win mag. I'm pretty excited about getting started, hopefully the big brown truck will be here by mid week.

I was planning on getting the RCBS kit, but i couldn't pass on the lee for that price, i can always upgrade later if needed. Is there anything i'm forgetting? Hopefully i'll be shooting my first loads this weekend! :ar15:

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    The best advice I can give is this: before you start to load the first round, READ, READ, READ! Read the manual cover to cover. Don't have any distractions when you load. It's not as difficult as you might think, but its something you have pay attention to. And in the end, it is a very satisfying endevor. Good luck!

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I was in the same situation as you! I was looking into reloading for about 2 years now and finally made the leap. I got my 50th anniversary kit in the mail yesterday! Im making my midway order one monday. Then i just have to play the waiting game....

Nightwalker65

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Seymour
    I agree completely with shooter1054,and will add don't be tempted to exceed the max loads in the manual. Oh,and welcome to the "Roll Ur Own" crowd:D Enjoy!

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Is there anything i'm forgetting? Hopefully i'll be shooting my first loads this weekend! :ar15:

Maybe consider doing a little homework and select a additional powder. 296 is a excellent powder for the upper end loads... Might be nice to add a little versality and also have a faster burning powder along with the 296 for some milder, target loads.

Then i just have to play the waiting game....

As long as what you ordered wasn't on back order, the waiting shouldn't be too long. I have always thought Midway USA and Graf and son's both were generally pretty good at shipping out within a day or two.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    The best advice I can give is this: before you start to load the first round, READ, READ, READ! Read the manual cover to cover. Don't have any distractions when you load. It's not as difficult as you might think, but its something you have pay attention to. And in the end, it is a very satisfying endevor. Good luck!

I read through part of the manual last night, i've been reading pretty heavily the past year or so online also. Another help is the buddy i bought it off of reloads. When i picked up the lee, i asked him to walk me through the process, he let me load up some .223 and 270WSM to get the feel of it.

Thanks!

I was in the same situation as you! I was looking into reloading for about 2 years now and finally made the leap. I got my 50th anniversary kit in the mail yesterday! Im making my midway order one monday. Then i just have to play the waiting game....

Good luck!

I agree completely with shooter1054,and will add don't be tempted to exceed the max loads in the manual. Oh,and welcome to the "Roll Ur Own" crowd:D Enjoy!

I've got a buddy who is all about maxing his loads out, i'm in it more for the accuracy. All the speed in the world doesn't mean a thing if you cant hit what your shooting at. ;)

My first goal is tailoring a load for my 77/44 using hornady FTX bullets, i'll try the 225gr first then move up to the 265gr.

Thanks!

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Maybe consider doing a little homework and select a additional powder. 296 is a excellent powder for the upper end loads... Might be nice to add a little versality and also have a faster burning powder along with the 296 for some milder, target loads.

The reason i went with the W296, is that hornadys site had it and lil' gun looked pretty versatile. I also have heard H110 and W296 are the same powder, just packaged differently. Big r didn't have the lil' gun, so i went with the W296.

What powder might you suggest for lighter cast loads?

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/ftx_load_data/44RemMagFTXRifle.pdf

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Is there anything i'm forgetting?

Get yourself one of these:

64836.jpg

If you ever make mistakes, you don't want them to accidentally get mixed in with your good rounds. Take 'em apart as you go, so that won't happen.

Also, best advice is write it all down. Keep a reloading journal...refer to it if you ever go a stretch between reloading sessions... It helps refresh your memory in your own words.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The reason i went with the W296, is that hornadys site had it and lil' gun looked pretty versatile. I also have heard H110 and W296 are the same powder, just packaged differently. Big r didn't have the lil' gun, so i went with the W296.

What powder might you suggest for lighter cast loads?

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/ftx_load_data/44RemMagFTXRifle.pdf

While 296 and H110 share similiar buring charactristics, they are not the same. 296 is Winchester and H110 is Hodgdon. It's been YEARS since I used H110, and I remember it being not as sensative to extreme temp deviations as 296, but I remember 296 burning cleaner.

Again, your choice in 296 is a fine one. It's a great powder that does burn fairly clean. You will get magnum performance out of it. I would just make sure you load to the data and DO NOT reduce that load under what it says as the starting load. Everyone has already mentioned not starting at maximum, but you also don't want to load under the starting load for that powder either.

I know absolutely nothing about the .480 Ruger. But for lighter loads for the .44, I am currently using unique. I find it to be very versatile and accurate. It does burn dirty. recently I bought some tite Group and really like what I am seeing in .45 ACp along with 9mm. Eventually, I hope to try it in .44 for milder cast loads also.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    If you ever make mistakes, you don't want them to accidentally get mixed in with your good rounds. Take 'em apart as you go, so that won't happen.

Also, best advice is write it all down. Keep a reloading journal...refer to it if you ever go a stretch between reloading sessions... It helps refresh your memory in your own words.

Great idea on the journal JG, a friend gave me an idea with the same concept. Make a "scrapbook" for the guns you shoot the most often arranged by powders. When you create a new load, take the target with the load data on it and add it to the book. If later on down the road you cant remember if you've tried that combo, just flip through the book and see.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I load the 44 mag. for my deer rifle. I use the 240 grain Hornady XTP over Win 296. I get 5 shot groups in a baseball at 100yds. On my chrony, I'm getting about 1730fps. Don't discount the XTP's for your loads. When I was developing this load, I made about 10-15 rounds of each speed listed in Hornady's manual. I shot groups with each load and picked the most consistant. My pet load isn't the slowest but its not the fastest either. The short version: Try several different loads to find out what your gun likes. It is usually obvious.

Top Bottom