• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I got my new targets a couple days ago, the fullsize IPSC, and the 66%. I've had one of the round targets for a while, so I knew what to expect in terms of performance. I got the big one hung up today and went to shooting. Sweet.

Then I got to thinking. Man, this target is sweet. I've shot .45, 5.56, 9mm, .38 special, .357 mag, and .44 mag at it and haven't even dented it. I wonder what it would take to defeat this target? Well what better to do than grab my 7mm Remington Ultra Mag and put a nice 140gr soft point in it and find out? So I did.

I really wasn't expecting it to go completely through, I mean...I've seen one that's been shot with a freaking .50 BMG from 100 yards that was dented. Well I was about 40 yards away, so I guess it made a difference.

I'm not mad or upset with the performance of the steel at all. I love the steel and would buy it again. I just thought you guys might like to know what it takes to defeat an AR 500 target :D

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    IIRC AR500 is GTG @ 100 yards for almost all rifle rounds including 7MM mag. I think what killed this one was being only 40 yards away.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    What I know about shooting steel could fit inside a .22 shell.

Its been a while since I had a 7 RUM but its a 404 jefferies necked down to a .284 caliber bullet. Off the top of my head the dang thing only drops like 12" at 400 or 500 yards. I cant remember 100%.

It zings along at 3100 FPS.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    I have been using .223 and shooting my 100% IPSC at ranges anywhere from 40 - 120 yards. The target is showing some serious signs of wear and I've only had it for a couple of months. Actually, in the time I have had it, I've only shot rifles at it a handful of times.

I am wondering what the standard is for these targets. Should I expect this type of damage from .223 at those ranges? My target looks similar to the pictures IndyMonkey posted when he shot his with the penetrator rounds...

...and honestly, if someone is going to engage targets with an M4 then they will most likely be shooting at the same ranges I am practicing, if not closer.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Well what better to do than grab my 7mm Remington Ultra Mag and put a nice 140gr soft point in it and find out? ...Well I was about 40 yards away, so I guess it made a difference.

I'd sure like to know the rest of the stats on that.

FPS,
    type of bullet SP,FMJ,HP?
    Thickness of steal?

A better, close up pic of the entrance and exit hole would be kind of nice?

Thanks for any additional info available.

What I've found with my limited Google Fu...
    Loading Remington's 7mm Ultra Mag: Petty tests Hadgdon's loading data for the hot new 7mm Ultra Magnum | Guns Magazine | Find Articles at BNET

Last edited:

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I have been using .223 and shooting my 100% IPSC at ranges anywhere from 40 - 120 yards. The target is showing some serious signs of wear and I've only had it for a couple of months. Actually, in the time I have had it, I've only shot rifles at it a handful of times.

I am wondering what the standard is for these targets. Should I expect this type of damage from .223 at those ranges? My target looks similar to the pictures IndyMonkey posted when he shot his with the penetrator rounds...

...and honestly, if someone is going to engage targets with an M4 then they will most likely be shooting at the same ranges I am practicing, if not closer.

Yes, you should expect damage from .223 any closer than and including 100-120 yds. There is a reason recommended rifle distance is 100+. You can shoot it closer, yes, but it will not last as long. AR500 isn't indestructible, and all targets will need to be replaced/flipped around as they wear. Shooting them with rifles at closer distances increases the rate at which they wear.

Top Bottom