I am going to attempt to join the NFA club!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    I am going to join the NFA club!

Placed my request on the atf website to get some form 1's coming to my house. Should I wait for the lower to be engraved before sending in the form or send in the form as soon as I get it filled out then send in the lower while waiting on the form. I am also looking at the YHM Mite suppressor to stick on the end of a 5.5" spikes .22lr upper with YHM carbine rail.

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I would not do any engraving until the form 1 clears and comes back.

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    If I send to Orion Arms do you guys just send regular UPS or next day? I am also trying to decide if I should just go ahead and get another reciever at the same time done. If I do should I use the lower from the AR pistol I have or the other stripped lower.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I guess I want to be sure the Form 1 will clear and all will be good before making a permanent change to a lower.

Do they ever refuse a Form 1 on someone who should normally get one?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    If I send to Orion Arms do you guys just send regular UPS or next day?

Regular UPS is fine, but insure, insure, insure!

I am also trying to decide if I should just go ahead and get another reciever at the same time done. If I do should I use the lower from the AR pistol I have or the other stripped lower.

In for a penny, in for a pound! I'd do the pistol lower (unless it is marked "pistol," then leave it alone), then just slap a stock on the thing once the form is approved. Instant SBR!

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County

In for a penny, in for a pound! I'd do the pistol lower (unless it is marked "pistol," then leave it alone), then just slap a stock on the thing once the form is approved. Instant SBR!

That does seem like a better option since I run a 9mm hammer in it. Then I can pick up a 11.5" upper along the way and swap between it and the Spikes uppper.

Nwatson99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Princeton IN.
    I had no problems with my form 1's just make sure you fill them out correctly and proof read them thoroughly before you send in everything that is required so there is no delays.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Get ready for a long wait.

It shouldn't be too long. Right now forms are averaging 10 weeks. There are a few new examiners coming on-board and things should be speeding-up. If they get out of the backlog situation and become caught-up, I look for things to go back to the 4-6 weeks they were last year.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008

Ooo! That begs the question, UPS will not ship handguns, but if my handgun gets the form 1, then it becomes a rifle, no?!

So when I get the form 1, I toss a very handgun looking "rifle" in with the stock I need added and off it goes to whomever I have lined up for the work (AK krink).

Not to hijack, but a funny thought about getting to ship a handgun via my local and restrictive UPS because the gov't turned it into a rifle with the wave of their magic wand.

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    It shouldn't be too long. Right now forms are averaging 10 weeks. There are a few new examiners coming on-board and things should be speeding-up. If they get out of the backlog situation and become caught-up, I look for things to go back to the 4-6 weeks they were last year.

Mine went in at election time and hopefully will be back around the inauguration!

Funny.

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    Ok I got my quotes from Orion arms...now where does everybody get it engraved? One of the lowers is stripped so I am thinking under in the trigger area. The other is assembled and I can do on the front of the magwell. Would anybody be willing to send me a picture of there engraving in a private msg so I could get an idea?

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    I also see on the timeline people know when their checks have been cashed. In what form are they sending the check? I figured I would use a USPS money order but I am not sure if you can track when it gets cashed.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Would anybody be willing to send me a picture of there engraving

Here's Calvin's gun that Orion did a few years ago:
    calar_engraved.jpg

The initials and birth date are the same size and location as the NFA information on my 10.5" LMT, so they should give you an idea of what it would look like.

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    Thanks for the picture. My quote was $65 for under trigger guard and $35 on the front of the magwell. I will send 1 stripped lower and 1 completed lower minus buffer tube so I will have to go the front of the magwell on the RRA lower.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Thanks for the picture. My quote was $65 for under trigger guard and $35 on the front of the magwell. I will send 1 stripped lower and 1 completed lower minus buffer tube so I will have to go the front of the magwell on the RRA lower.

At that kind of price difference, I'd just do front of the magwell on both. When he engraves there, he fills the lettering in with black so it's less obvious. The engraving in the pic above has been filled in with a yellow paint pen for high visibility.

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    I ordered the forms from ATF on the 8th and have yet to get them. Does anybody know how long it takes to recieve them. I would like to get the 2 SBR in before I change my mind lol. Spoke with my Sheriff also and he does sign off on Class 3.

Top Bottom