• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    When I lived in Fla., catching snakes was a hobby I and my brother were into. That was before the influx of constrictors. We caught all kinds of snakes at times. Diamondbacks, Pigmy Rattlers, Canebreaks, Cotton Mouths, Corals, red rats, everglades rats, chjain king snakes, racers, and many others.
    One time I will never forget, we were on an abandoned truck farm at the western edge of Pompano Beach. We wer in a large area that the locals used for a dump. It was loaded with piles of yard trash, construction materials, little bit of everything. The place was loaded with rats! We went there with pellet pistols and had a ball. There were also a lot of snakes there to feed on the rats. One afternoon we saw some weeds moving and anticipated a new target approaching. Lo and behold, out of the weeds came a pair of Indian cobras about 6 or more feet long. They were traveling together, parallel and about 2 feet apart. We were about 8 feet from them. They stopped when they saw us standing there, then continued on across the track we were walking. Needless to say, we decided to leave there. We knew the closest place to obtain antivenin was the serpentarium in Miami, and that would take many hours to get to a local hospital. I called the Fla. game dept and told them what we had seen. After grilling me for a few minutes, the representative obviously determined that I knew snakes and what an Indian cobra looked like. He then confided that my sighting was not surprising at all. That just about every kind of snake, poisonous or not, were loose and had been reported or captured in south Fla. in the past. They were obviously a mated pair and would be breeding or had, already, and he did ask me to be sure to "eliminate" at least one and preferably both if we saw them again.We never did.
    If anyone wants to see copperheads, you can usually find several sunning themselves on the rocks that make up the face of the dam at Cataract Lake. I saw them most spring mornings while crappie fishing there. Morgan Monroe forest is a good place to find copperheads and timber rattlers. Also hog nosed snakes and racers....

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Lo and behold, out of the weeds came a pair of Indian cobras about 6 or more feet long.....

If anyone wants to see copperheads, you can usually find several sunning themselves on the rocks that make up the face of the dam at Cataract Lake. I saw them most spring mornings while crappie fishing there. Morgan Monroe forest is a good place to find copperheads and timber rattlers. Also hog nosed snakes and racers....

Two cobras- Wow:eek:

I wonder if in that moment of pause one said to the other "we ain't in India no more!":laugh:

As to the copperheads and timber rattlers, I live in the extreme south of Indiana, almost on the Ohio River. I was raised in KY and saw copperheads and cottonmouths all the time. But here, never. I'm an avid fisher and hunter and have never seen either or a timber rattler.

Don't get me wrong- I'm not complaining.:laugh:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I don't like 'em...........

I don't like 'em at all! We see rattlers now and then in prairie dog towns. Actually, we usually hear them first because they have great camo. Here's why my wife carries the Judge! This one was actually darker than most of them we've seen. They're usually about the color of the dirt.

Rattlesnake.jpg

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I don't like 'em at all! We see rattlers now and then in prairie dog towns. Actually, we usually hear them first because they have great camo. Here's why my wife carries the Judge! This one was actually darker than most of them we've seen. They're usually about the color of the dirt.

Rattlesnake.jpg

Where is this?

odie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I wish you the best of luck snake hunting. I am not one to judge hell, I get my kicks shooting black birds at 50+ yards with a high powered pellet rifle.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    I know the snakes are here. Seen plent of Copperheads in my day but never a timber rattler. I remember that young girl who fell and was bitten in the hand by a T-rattler in the Clark State Forrest. Makes you really think about going into the woods, don't it?

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I prefer tame snakes, rather than take the chance of coming a cross a venomous one! They are interesting creatures, for sure. I just don't think i'd hunt them alone.
    I've owned quite a few snakes, including a couple of wild ones I caught years ago. Those teeth are like needles! I prefer the Boas. They were the most gentle snakes i ever owned.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    Caught one in my basement 2 days ago, still cant figure out how it got down there.

But my basement is cool and the snake was barely moving, figured it was either cold or starving.

Easy catch :)

jLr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Had one in my basement once too. Baby black snake. Went upstairs to get a bucket to relocate it, and it was gone. I haven't seen it since.

I really wasn't that worried about it, as it would be fine for it to eat a few mice.

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    My son and I go daily. Walk the river edge near Morse Reservoir (Hamilton County). We look for snakes but mostly Turtles.

We typically catch Rat, Fox and Brown Water snakes, the occassional Garter. Though 2 days ago we ran across a large snake eating a catfish. It looked very much like a Copperhead (but I have never seen them this far north - could have been a Fox snake - they look similar - but never seen a Fox so big...delimia)...we left it alone and just watched it eat an 8"+ catfish.

Top Bottom