• Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I dont do head shots.
    Dont like to ugly em up.

Heck I have a hard time killing stuff anymore. Just dont have the heart.

Felt bad about shooting a groundhog today at a farm.

Wish my kid would pop deer for the freezer.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Headshots on deer are irresponsible imho. I don't care how great a shot you think you are.
    To each their own.
    That head shot I took was my first in more than 45 years hunting Indiana whitetail.
    I saw the opportunity for a humane shot and took it as such.
    I've hit a deer in the chest with a .50cal muzzle loader and had them drop, but not expire for more than 20 minutes.
    THAT, was inhumane in my opinion.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Get a couple doe and keep the best parts for your family. Backstraps are the best steaks. But in the winter slow cooked or instant-pot shanks are the best there is. Incredible flavor and silky smooth. Unbelievably good with root veggies & mashed potatoes. Whatever main cuts you like best on beef, pretty much in the same spots when butchering your deer.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    To each their own.
    That head shot I took was my first in more than 45 years hunting Indiana whitetail.
    I saw the opportunity for a humane shot and took it as such.
    I've hit a deer in the chest with a .50cal muzzle loader and had them drop, but not expire for more than 20 minutes.
    THAT, was inhumane in my opinion.
    People against head shots by those with that capability, are they upset because they can't? Because they have a holier-than-thou attitude?
    Or does it violate some moral code they have that bugs them to think of a animal being head shot?
    Simple fact is some can do it, and some cannot.
    The cannot's seem to think they can bully those who can into not doing it.
    I know a few guys that can take a head shot out at 500yds. Because I can't I don't preach at them because they can.
    I've seen people hit deer with 12ga slugs at 20yds, and the deer run off, and lived for a good 3-4 minutes of pain.
    IMO it is definitely more humane to take them with head shots. They don't even hear the sound of the shot.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    People against head shots by those with that capability, are they upset because they can't? Because they have a holier-than-thou attitude?
    Or does it violate some moral code they have that bugs them to think of a animal being head shot?
    I know a few guys that can take a head shot out at 500yds. Because I can't I don't preach at them because they can.
    I've seen people hit deer with 12ga slugs at 20yds, and the deer run off, and lived for a good 3-4 minutes of pain.
    IMO it is definitely more humane to take them with head shots. They don't even hear the sound of the shot.
    After that first, I decided immediately that there would be more.
    I don't take hunting lightly, so it also won't be every shot from here on out.
    I have two different properties that I can hunt.
    The property in Tippecanoe county is tiny, and my longest POSSIBLE shot is only about 45 yards.
    On the other hand, I have 50 acres in Fountain county, and due to a LOT of work in the off seasons for the past couple of years, I now have shooting lanes out to 160 yards.

So, some may offer easy head shots
    Others might require a little more wiggle room.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    After that first, I decided immediately that there would be more.
    I don't take hunting lightly, so it also won't be every shot from here on out.
    I have two different properties that I can hunt.
    The property in Tippecanoe county is tiny, and my longest POSSIBLE shot is only about 45 yards.
    On the other hand, I have 50 acres in Fountain county, and due to a LOT of work in the off seasons for the past couple of years, I now have shooting lanes out to 160 yards.

So, some may offer easy head shots
    Others might require a little more wiggle room.
    I use a 6.5 Grendel and it's sub moa with 123gr SST. I usually shot 50yds or less, and the farthest would be to my right, and up a small hill, but that is only 75yds maximum. I have my rifle shot in at 50yds and it isn't hard to hit a quarter size target at 50yds.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    It isn’t jealousy. It is because if you’re off by a tiny margin…. The deer suffers and starves to death. vitals offer a much safer shot.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    It isn’t jealousy. It is because if you’re off by a tiny margin…. The deer suffers and starves to death. vitals offer a much safer shot.
    Hasn't happened and what I've see it won't happen. So it's a morality thing for you. They can be gut shot and live for days until infection kills them off too. Or have their front leg broken and run off to do the same over time.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I use a 6.5 Grendel and it's sub moa with 123gr SST. I usually shot 50yds or less, and the farthest would be to my right, and up a small hill, but that is only 75yds maximum. I have my rifle shot in at 50yds and it isn't hard to hit a quarter size target at 50yds.
    I just dug a 6.5 Grendel out of the safe today and slapped a scope on top.
    Thought I would take it out tomorrow and see if I can get it dialed in.
    It would be a maiden voyage for this gun.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I could not have said it better myself.

It all comes down to training, and experience And diligent practice to keep proficient. I am in The camp if you are going harvest a deer you need to do it in the fastest most humane way possible.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Because nobody ever misses a body shot...
    Are we really arguing about this lol a deer head…. Is a smaller target then the vitals. So….. it is a harder target to hit. not saying people don’t miss but you have to look at the probability.

there Is a reason targets are different sizes in competitions.

not telling you what to do you guys asked why people are against headshots. Even trappers shoot in the vitals.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Are we really arguing about this lol a deer head…. Is a smaller target then the vitals. So….. it is a harder target to hit. not saying people don’t miss but you have to look at the probability.

not telling you what to do you guys asked why people are against headshots. Even trappers shoot in the vitals.
    Everyone has their own opinions, and that's fine.
    Don't expect me to jump for joy when to accuse me of being unethical.
    You have no clue what my hunting parameters are, or what firearms proficiency skills I do, or do not posses.

Ever heard the phrase, "Don't judge a book by it's cover"?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

You said if I was off a little it would starve to death I'm guessing you mean the jaw gets shot off? Will that's not a little that's a lot around 3-4" off at 50yds. If I'm that bad I'd definitely go for a heart or lung shot. However, I can put 10rds through its eye or ear hole at 100yds and somewhat less at 50yds.
    I'm not talking 300-600yd head shot.
    INGO had a similar discussion a year or two ago.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    You said if I was off a little it would starve to death I'm guessing you mean the jaw gets shot off? Will that's not a little that's a lot around 3-4" off at 50yds. If I'm that bad I'd definitely go for a heart or lung shot. However, I can put 10rds through its eye or ear hole at 100yds and somewhat less at 50yds.
    I'm not talking 300-600yd head shot.
    INGO had a similar discussion a year or two ago.
    Just for clarification if someone does not have the ability and confidence to take the shot with out resulting in the expected outcome perhaps they need to rethink their options and take another course of action.

Top Bottom