• ...and so much more!
  • singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Long story short, I know a person who shoots coyotes only to wound them in the "hopes it will die on someone else's property". He has shot them with shotgun target loads, 7 1/2 shot size, gut shot them, etc, etc. Several people tried and fail to convince him this was inhumane and unethical to no avail. I thought about calling DNR, but can DNR do anything with proof? I hate the thought of an animal, even a yote, suffering for days.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    If someone does not understand that it is morally wrong to cause another living thing pain unnecessarily, I don't think you can convince them otherwise.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Depending on distance, 7 1/2 may not even kill and only wound it... But Yeah, this is kinda crazy. It's not hard to get rid of them.. I have a relative that will gut shot wolves up north (its not legal to kill them) so they run off and die, but that is with a 30.06 there is certain death and "minimal" suffering, and even some people feel weird about that...

I don't think you can really convince him, and there isn't much a officer can do other than maybe try and talk to him like all others have and failed.

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    I would totally call the CO. This right here is exactly what gives sportsman a bad rap. We as a community owe it to ourselves in these very social media conscious times.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Depending on distance, 7 1/2 may not even kill and only wound it... But Yeah, this is kinda crazy. It's not hard to get rid of them.. I have a relative that will gut shot wolves up north (its not legal to kill them) so they run off and die, but that is with a 30.06 there is certain death and "minimal" suffering, and even some people feel weird about that...

I don't think you can really convince him, and there isn't much a officer can do other than maybe try and talk to him like all others have and failed.

Your relative is a douche bag.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI

Wait. It's not legal to do it, so his solution is to do it anyway with maximum pain and suffering, and somehow think that's the right solution? That is so illogical I can't even begin to wrap my mind around it.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    A lot of your ethics and values are set by about the age of 9 or 10. What you should do is based on his a age. If he is a teenager, hey Dahmer started with animals too, get him help. If he is an adult, you are asking the wrong questions, or just didn't post them here.

I would say something like this: what you are doing is intentional and that makes it wrong. That is an odd thing to be doing............why are you doing it? Good luck with the conversation from there, I guess you care enough to try. When you come to your senses, you need to tell him he is a sick F*** and you are done with him. Unless you are one of his victims too, in which case call the cops.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Wait. It's not legal to do it, so his solution is to do it anyway with maximum pain and suffering, and somehow think that's the right solution? That is so illogical I can't even begin to wrap my mind around it.
    Right here where I live there is a criminal case coming over the illegal killing of a wolf. There is also at least one death threat which has also culminated in criminal charges. There are at least three sides to this drama and if you have a dead wolf on your property it's as close as you will come to seeing a full blown "CSI" style investigation without a dead human. You can't go a full work week without having or hearing multiple conversations about wolves. If you work with a lot of hunters or farmers, then it's a daily topic.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I'd be concerned about spending time around him at all. Anyone that practices such cruelty to animals isn't far removed to doing the same with humans.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Your relative is a douche bag.

Well most farmers up there kill them constantly because of what they do to all of the cattle and other livestock. The issue is that they are protected because they want them to come back further south etc. for whatever reason. However yeah, they said that they will shoot them so it will kill them but let them run far enough to not die there as in get in trouble for it if found near hunting areas/pastures... I am not saying it is right or ok, but that is what they do if they can get a precise shot rather than a kill. Sadly it's not just the relative but common with most farmers and people up there.

rockola1971

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    Over Here
    Check the DNR regulations. Is there something in there about making a reasonable attempt to recover the animal after shooting it? I know some states do have that DNR regulation and if you dont make that reasonable attempt to recover then there is the CO's angle on dealing with the "disturbed" friend of yours.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Check the DNR regulations. Is there something in there about making a reasonable attempt to recover the animal after shooting it? I know some states do have that DNR regulation and if you dont make that reasonable attempt to recover then there is the CO's angle on dealing with the "disturbed" friend of yours.

Whoa not a friend, we just belong to the same gun club. The reg angle is a good, here is the reg:
    Wanton Waste It is illegal to kill or cripple any wild animalwithout making a reasonable effort to retrievethe animal to include in your daily bag limit.
    Since there is no limit on coyotes wondering if this reg applies.

rockola1971

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    Over Here
    Whoa not a friend, we just belong to the same gun club. The reg angle is a good, here is the reg:

Since there is no limit on coyotes wondering if this reg applies.

Sorry, assumed it was "a friend". The illegal to cripple an animal (notice it doesnt say "game animal") and not making the reasonable attempt to retrieve should give the CO more than enough to take care of this "man" (and I do use the term man very loosely here). Good luck!

Top Bottom