• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hankhill

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    I have somebody interested in my Bersa Thunder for sale, but he lives behind the iron curtain. How many FFL's do I need to go through? Is it even possible? I'd much rather have an Indiana buyer though. :ingo:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I have somebody interested in my Bersa Thunder for sale, but he lives behind the iron curtain. How many FFL's do I need to go through? Is it even possible? I'd much rather have an Indiana buyer though. :ingo:

Minimum of an IL FFL. You could ship (observing all handgun shipping rules) or transport it to the IL FFL (following all IL rules of handgun transport) and he could do the transfer to the IL resident.

Or, double transfer: you take it to an IN FFL, they ship to IL FFL who transfers it to IL resident. (It may be cheaper to pay their transfer fee and reduced shipping requirements than to ship it yourself.)

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons

Last edited:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Not that big of a deal. If it's not too far of a drive for you, have the buyer contact an Illinois FFL and explain what you're doing. You unload the gun, put it in the trunk in a case and drive it to Illinois dealer. Buyer inspects gun, you give gun to IL FFL and he takes down your info from your driver's license for his bound book. You disappear into the sunset with your money and the FFL and Illinois buyer complete the sale, along with the 72 hour waiting period.

If you ship it to the dealer, it has to go via UPS or Fedex with their overnight service, and you have to bring it to their shipping center, not a UPS store.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    "One can't simply drive to comminois..."

I recognize the spin on the LOTR quote spin, and appreciate it, but I hope you're being facetious, because it IS perfectly legal to drive to IL with a gun that is legal in Illinois (no class 3 stuff).

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I recognize the spin on the LOTR quote spin, and appreciate it, but I hope you're being facetious, because it IS perfectly legal to drive to IL with a gun that is legal in Illinois (no class 3 stuff).

Never actually said you couldn't...I avoid that state like the black plague!

Top Bottom