• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roisigns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    cincy
    I would like to know how to remove some rust from a pistol frame. Any tips?
    :dunno:

EDIT: It is a blued gun that I bot to help a friend who needed some money. Paid too much but some good karma was included. :)

Last edited:

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    I just found myself in a similar predicament.

I used a cordless Dremel with the aluminum brush attachment.
    Sprayed the **** out of it with degreaser and went to town.

Removed the rust very nicely. Had to re-blue the entire thing afterwards, but it worked well for me. And got rid of the eyesore.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Depends on the frame material and how heavy the rust is. Is it a blued steel frame? Stainless? (yes, it can still rust)
    If it is light rust on a blued steel frame, 0000 steel wool, soaked in oil and rubbed VERY lightly will usually remove the rust. Same for a stainless firearm but this is going polish the surface if it's a matte stainless finish.
    If the rust is heavy and pitted it is going to require more extensive methods, done carefully, and probably a refinish. Lots of variables here that we don't know.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    I use mesh patches and a lot of hopes until the spot is gone and only the pit remains. I don't use abrasives.

Then I wipe it down dry and coat it with rem oil and let it dry. The teflon in the remoil will seal it up for good and preven the rust from getting oxygen and growing back.

Keep a desiccant in your safe... Home made Desiccant - AR15.COM

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Sometimes I find it helpful to give it a liberal coating of oil and let it sit for several days. If you try to get all the rust off right away, you might find that you will damage the finish more than if you take it slow.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    You can knock off a light rust with a stainless steel scrub pad. Steel wool and/or sandpaper for more. You might have to refinish the frame. I wouldn't use a power tool, unless the work is very labor-intensive. It can be too easy to damage or overwork a frame with a power tool.

tacdriver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    VA
    000-0000 Bronze wool with Break free (CLP). The Bronze wool will not scratch or remove the blue surface like steel wool can, been using it for years on restorations

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Sometimes I find it helpful to give it a liberal coating of oil and let it sit for several days. If you try to get all the rust off right away, you might find that you will damage the finish more than if you take it slow.

Yes . Soak the gun with Liquid Wrench or some similar solvent for a day or two then take steel wool no coarser than #1 grade,( I like 0 best) apply motor oil to both steel wool and gun and rub gently.
    It seems paradoxical but I've had better results saving remaining blue with a slightly coarser wool than the 0000 or 000 grades.

Top Bottom