• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Right after firing at the range. then every 2-3 months if carried. Duty weapons weekly, always inspect rounds, and mags. Found dust bunnies and thread(irish pendants) on many a pocket carried revolver.(usually S&W snubbies). Long guns same issues if fired a lot. Mosins: Hot water, Dawn soap ASAP from range. If caught in rain: soon as possible and remove stocks to dry out. Good luck.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I clean/lube as soon as practical after hitting the range. And my EDC/BUG get inspected (including retention holster) and lubed monthly.

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Depends -- I have an old single six from 1958 and I feel too bad if I let it stay dirty, but a stainless 38 I don't worry too much about, I'll clean it every few hundred rounds.

klaykillah

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    New York
    After every trip to the Range, I swab the barrel, lightly oil the reciever, run an oiled cloth over the entire outside of the piece and that's it.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    After every range trip, and every month for carry pieces (even if just to relube)

If it's a carry gun, and you only clean on range trips...you would be very surprised at the amount of CRAP that gets into the bore/magwell/every nook and cranny.

^^^^This^^^^It is amazing how dirty a gun gets from being carried.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    My EDC gets thoroughly cleaned every six months or every thousand or so rounds, whether it needs it or not. I blow the lint out of it every few days.

If it makes you happy, clean it. If it does not run reliably because of crud, clean it. Most modern guns do not NEED to be cleaned after every use, so if you find cleaning tedious, figure out what kind of schedule YOUR gun and YOUR use works best for you.

I shoot my EDC 3-4 times a week. If I cleaned after every use I'd be spending most of my time cleaning.

Some people are OCD or just feel satisfaction from having their gun pass a white glove test. Some people don't get to shoot that often so cleaning their guns is a way of prolonging their enjoyment. I don't have time or patience for that and since I generally shoot 2-3 guns a day, I go based on function and reliability for my guide.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    My son and I collect firearms and shoot fairly frequently. We clean EVERY firearm (field strip) after every firing. When we acquire a firearm we strip it completely (bolt and all), clean, inspect, de-burr if necessary, lube and re-assemble. After a few hundred rounds we repeat the entire cleaning, inspection and lube. Probably overkill, but I was taught this about 60 years ago, and have continued to this day. We also clean and lightly (dry lube all of our magazines after use. My EDC (if not fired) is cleaned when I see any lint or derbies on the gun or in the bore. I do not ever have a galled area or build up of carbon / lead in any part of the firearms we own.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I generally clean them after each range trip. Glocks are sometimes not cleaned, but are at least wiped down and have a boresnake pulled through them.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    This

After every range trip, and every month for carry pieces (even if just to relube)

If it's a carry gun, and you only clean on range trips...you would be very surprised at the amount of CRAP that gets into the bore/magwell/every nook and cranny.

^^^this^^^

Every range trip with the exception of my SS 22 rifle, which can handle the neglect just fine.

The dust bunnies can get out of hand on my carry between range trips so it gets a field strip and wipe down about every other week.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Since my only handgun is my carry gun (obviously), I clean it after every time I shoot it so I know it's clean and will work right if I need it. But I don't shoot a lot because I can't afford a lot of ammo. So it's not a hassle to clean it after every time.

Ripper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    Earth
    Like most... After being fired I clean. Its a good way to become acquainted with your firearms and like someone else stated, I find it very relaxing and a way to unwind.

Top Bottom