• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KingWeb50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    when the accuracy starts to fade... More guns have been cleaned to death then shot to death.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I clean my semi-autos after each range trip. Mainly because I use slide glide lubricant on the slide and I like to know that it is fresh and free from abrasives the next trip.

AzNooB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    After every 3-4 range sessions, so about 1000 rounds for handguns and 300 rounds for rifles unless I'm taking them to a match.

I'll also clean my gun if it has more than 200 rounds down the pipe and I'm carrying it.

jojoa55

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Evansville
    I don't overdo it. You may be. I sure wouldn't have cleaned a glock afer 10 rounds.
    Do you detail strip it when you clean, or just field strip? If you're detail striping your glock that often it's probly not good.

I usually clean my semi autos by fieldstriping, giving a scrub with simple green and a toothbrush. Bore brush for the barrel. Then I rinse it, dry it and oil where oil goes.
    Once a year or so I'll detail strip and really clean the hell out of it.

My .22's pistol and rifle, I run a boresnake thru dry and give a light clean and oil. Every 4 or 5 range trips Ill take them down fully and give it all a good once over.

As long as you're not detail stripping your Glock every time, you're not hurting anything, but it's also not necessary. But if it makes you feel better, no harm in it.
    :+1:

Mr. Neal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    OCD.. lol I try to at least whipe them down after every shoot. I clean the barrel after a few hundred rounds has been threw it. It really depends on the finish.. stainless can miss a few cleanings, others aren't as forgiving.

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    I have noticed with my uncle and I, if we only shoot one magazine through a gun, he just has me wipe it down.

But usually we go through about 200-300 rounds, when that happens I find my self field stripping the H&K and giving it a good scrubbing With uncle looking over my shoulder. Same goes for the Sig and every other gun we shoot, however, I still have to hear him mention cleaning the riffles. SKS, AR15 or the .22 nor the 12 gauge for that matter. One day we shot 60 rounds through the 12 gauge, to say the least I think my finger prints were melted on the barrel and I couldn't hardly move my arm the next day.

GreatLakes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I clean them regularly because I shoot them regularly. If I didn't shoot them regularly I wouldn't be proficient with them. I don't own guns too pretty to shoot, so I shoot them regularly and clean them regularly - everything gets shot once a quarter. If I don't have a reason to shoot them, I'd sell them.

Top Bottom