• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chaplain45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Noblesville
    I am preparing to start reloading. I have been reading threads and looking at pictures of rooms. I will probably have to carve my reloading room out of my garage. Odds are good I will get one shot at creating the room (at least for the next couple of years). How much space should I take? An HVAC line will be needed to keep it climate controlled (garage doors allow way too much variation ). I have zero equipment at this time. Am I even asking the right question?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have a buddy that setup one on a standard garage workbench 4' long. It probably takes less room than you think.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    1) Compact, but comfortable approach:

If you are willing to "C" clamp various presses to your bench one at a time and store them elsewere, you can reload rifle, pistol, and shotshell ammo comfortably on a bench 6 feet wide and 32 inches deep. This leaves room for boxes of brass, bullets, powder, scales, measuring equipment, reloading trays, ammo boxes, an open reloading manual, etc. Whatever size you make the room, be sure that after all the storage space is filled up, you still have plenty of access to a bench at least that size. The number one killer of a good bench is using it for storage things that are not needed for the job at hand.

2) Generous approach:
    My best reloading room was a finished room that used to be a one car garage. (then I got married) With long benches I had permanent stations for 4 gauges of shotshells, Two permanently mounted Dillion progressives, and two single stage loading stations. Each had its own storage above and below. In addition I had a seperate bulk brass prep and storage area and a powder magazine. If you can use a whole garage bay, you are a lucky man.

There are some here who presently have really nice reloading rooms. There are pictures of many. See if you can search them up. There is a reloading room picture sticky.

Last edited:

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I've seen smaller, but I am using a bench 40" wide x 26" deep. I've got ceiling height, I've got plenty of depth and width. A shelf behind the press so the scales wouldn't be on the bench, storage above and below with generous lighting. I store powder inside so I am taking it out to the garage as needed. Tumbler is in the corner of the garage. My biggest issue was having plenty of room for clean and dirty brass and lots of bullets. The fewer calibers being reloaded will make that easier.

I've seen pics of reloading rooms being a closet. If I built the bench and made the presses removeable I might have enough room except for the tumble.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I started out with my whole reloading setup inside a plastic tool box that I kept under the desk in my living room. I loaded thousands of rounds with that setup and really enjoyed it. You don't need a dedicated room or even a dedicated workbench. Build a room if you want to - nothing wrong with that. But it's not necessary.

WilsonMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 31, 2014
    Crown Point
    My setup is in an oversized closet. 5' wide, 3' deep, and it has a 4' bifold door. That is plenty of room for me as long as I keep my supplies organized and utilize the shelving above the bench. I do tumble my brass elsewhere though because my homemade wet tumbling rig takes up a little space.

OHOIAN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    NE OHIO
    You can easily load on a 24 by 24 inch bench, or even less. If you have more room take as much as you can. It will fill up quickly.

Chaplain45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Noblesville
    This is very helpful. Now don't laugh, but the attached pic is my "before" shot of where my set up will most likely be located.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      97.4 KB · Views: 19

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Two things I learned when setting up the reloading room.

1. Make your bench sturdier than you think necessary.
    2. Figure out how much cabinet space you will need then double it. There is no such thing as too much.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    As others have mentioned, storage will be important, especially if you are loading multiple calibers. I certainly have more storage space than workspace.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    You can easily load on a 24 by 24 inch bench, or even less.

Yep, that^.
    Take all the room you can get...but you can for sure do it in a teeny tiny space.
    I don't have a dedicated spot. I have to drag out my WorkMate bench and bolt a table top to it. Then I get out my press, measure, etc., and bolt them to the top. When I'm done...I have to un-bolt everything and stow it all. But...it works. I store my stacked components in a cedar chest;

inontheact.jpg

outside.jpg

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I do my reloading in the garage, I seem to spill some powder from time to time and it is way easier to clean it up out there than outta the carpet in my office. I use C clamps to hold my gear to the folding table top. One thing though, I use a non electric scale, you you need to have that sitting on a very stable surface that is free from vibrations. I have one of those Lee Perfect Powder measures...but I still weigh about every 10th charge I cut. Can't be too careful.

Chaplain45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Noblesville
    Wow! I am amazed and encouraged by the diversity and creativity. I am a little concerned by the lack of climate control in my garage.
    I went to our library today and found ONE book on reloading, from 1987 or so. It is ok,my brother-in-law is helping me out.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I reload multiple handgun calibers and have 2 Dillon Square Deal B presses set up on my reloading cart. I have very limited reloading space and the best part is my reloading cart is on wheels so I can reload where ever I want to in the house. The locked compartment below is where I store all my components. Brass is stored is totes on top of the brown cabinet next to my reloading cart.

20140424_213734_zps75975262.jpg

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I am a little concerned by the lack of climate control in my garage.

If you buy recent production power it will come in a plastic jug, so temp and humidity swings matter little. Static is the primary concern as it can adversely impact powder charge repeatability. Primers bullets and brass are even more immutable than that.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Yep, that^.
    Take all the room you can get...but you can for sure do it in a teeny tiny space.
    I don't have a dedicated spot. I have to drag out my WorkMate bench and bolt a table top to it. Then I get out my press, measure, etc., and bolt them to the top. When I'm done...I have to un-bolt everything and stow it all. But...it works. I store my stacked components in a cedar chest;

inontheact.jpg

outside.jpg
    Atsa nice kitty.

Top Bottom