• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sixspeed042

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    granger, IN
    i only carry one in the gun with federal hollows. I don't like holsters, so i often wear one of my 5.11 tactical tight underarmour like shirts that has 2 pouches on the sides of the rib cage. it's very comfortable, but doesn't have a defined mag pouch. I carry an Xd-45 with a 13 rounder. I guess if i ever need to defend myself, I'd hope to do it on 13 rouns of .45 acp's...after that, god will determine my fate i guess.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Exactly the same. The loaded gun and 1 in the truck, at work there is an extra mag in the desk.

The odds of any of us getting into a shootout are pretty slim in the first place. FBI shootout data indicates that the vast majority of gun encounters are terminated before any shots are fired. Of those with gunplay, the vast majority of those has a grand total of 3 shots fired. It is certainly possible that I might someday be involved in a gunfight where 40 rounds are exchanged, but the odds of that are about as remote as me being struck by lightning. Not saying it won't happen but there is no reason to think that I will be that unlucky.

I feel comfortable without the spare magazines.

:+1:, I only have one gun that I carry an extra magazine for.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If we went with the "odds," we wouldn't carry guns at all because the vast majority of us will never truly need one. If you count incidents where displaying the gun solves the problem, then we'd never need to carry any ammo at all.

First of all, the stats are based almost exclusively on police-involved incidents. You can't count on a situation you might face by yourself to duplicate what a cop will face, and you won't have back-up like they do most of the time.

I don't understand why this is even an issue. How much trouble is it to carry a spare magazine or speedloader if you go to the trouble of carrying a gun? It's like driving a car, but choosing not to carry a spare tire. You probably won't need either, but if you do, you NEED it.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    If we went with the "odds," we wouldn't carry guns at all because the vast majority of us will never truly need one. If you count incidents where displaying the gun solves the problem, then we'd never need to carry any ammo at all.

First of all, the stats are based almost exclusively on police-involved incidents. You can't count on a situation you might face by yourself to duplicate what a cop will face, and you won't have back-up like they do most of the time.

I don't understand why this is even an issue. How much trouble is it to carry a spare magazine or speedloader if you go to the trouble of carrying a gun? It's like driving a car, but choosing not to carry a spare tire. You probably won't need either, but if you do, you NEED it.
    :+1:what he said

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Double mag carrier goes on when the gun does. If in the Maxpedition bag, there are three. In the truck lives another double mag carrier and a box of 50.

Who can possibly know what it's gonna take to get home? In today's age of international/domestic terrorists, gang bangers, suicidal mass killers and riots, why would anyone think that it couldn't happen to them?

It's kinda like smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, spare tires and your cell phone. Very likely you'll never need them. When you do need them though, you REALLY need them.

Last edited:

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    When I cary my 1911 I carry a spare Magazine in my pocket.
    When I carry my XD-9 I don't. I tried but the double stack mag and weight of the bowletts makes my pants sag and I can't stand looking like a droopy-droors gang banger.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    You need a GOOD belt as a foundation. Not a 15.00 cheapie from Wally-World. IMO, The Wilderness makes one of the best belts around. I've worn mine for over 5 years and it still looks new.

When I cary my 1911 I carry a spare Magazine in my pocket.
    When I carry my XD-9 I don't. I tried but the double stack mag and weight of the bowletts makes my pants sag and I can't stand looking like a droopy-droors gang banger.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    You need a GOOD belt as a foundation. Not a 15.00 cheapie from Wally-World. IMO, The Wilderness makes one of the best belts around. I've worn mine for over 5 years and it still looks new.
    Yeah, I tried the cheapie belts from Wallys as well as a big leather retailer here. I ended up at the indy1500 about a year ago and bought one from the belt guy that is almost always there. I like it alot better!
    I just have the pistol on my strong side between 3 oclock and 4oclock, and a flashlight 11 oclock and my cell phone hanging at 9 oclock on the other side and don't have any room for a mag pouch anyway.
    I used to carry a mag pouch at 6 oclock but getting in and out of customers small cars sometimes became an issue.

dclaarjr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Fremont, Ohio
    I always carry spares. My P94 is my main carry with a mag, +1, and 2 spare mags. I travel a lot for work and usually carry a BUG. Sp101 with 2 speed loaders.

Remember Murphy's law. If it can go wrong it will. I try to be prepared.

sixspeed042

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    granger, IN
    i guess i can agree with leaving one in the truck, but most of the time you wouldn't have time to go out to your truck to get the spare if your in a mall, or whatnot. but, i do play the odds... the chances of being in a situation requiring lethal aid is slim to none, unless you're a snakey lawyer or a D.A. lol I'm still going to carry just in case.... BUT, the chances of needing more than that one mag for a single situation is probably fewer than winning the lottery twice. Obviously, there are exceptions, but i don't personally have any.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I have one extra 8 round mag for my p345 and 2 extra 6 round 40 S&W mags for my kahr...I carry them in my front pocket.

Top Bottom