• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    there are many ways, many tools, and many "ideas". this is how i make a typical fixed blade knife.

jclarke had contacted me to make him a knife. he really, really likes his Waldon styled knife, so we went from there. the knife is similiar to a Kabar, i suppose. lord knows how i feel about Kabar! :) ... we worked on some modifications... to make the knife better, IMO.... and came to settle on the mock up you see in the first few pictures.

a stick of 154cm. i was going to use D2 but some mystery person sent this to me! much more like i wanted to use!
    101_2110.jpg

lay out.
    101_2111.jpg

drill out the profile. yes, i have two bandsaws. yes, i could saw the entire profile. but for me, this is how i like to do it.
    101_2112.jpg

friction cut.
    101_2113.jpg

off to the grinder.
    101_2114.jpg

101_2115.jpg

grindin! shutter speed on the camera makes the belt look still...... but it was humming along at about 3400rpms....... way to fast for making knives!! hahaha!!
    101_2116.jpg

101_2117.jpg

i did the handle first to give me something more comfortable to hang on to.
    101_2118.jpg

profile done.
    101_2119.jpg

time for the thumb serrations! dremel to the rescue!!!!! ah, ****. broke it on the first one! THIS is where knife making gets interesting! back to old school. chainsaw file.
    101_2121.jpg

101_2123.jpg

looking close. i leave extra material all over the knife, because after heat treat, you grind some more off.
    101_2124.jpg

laying out the corby bolt holes.
    101_2125.jpg

i drill extra holes for a list of reasons. for weight saving, for balance, for epoxy hold, and a few others. i did it on THIS knife for the epoxy hold.
    101_2126.jpg

the result, before heat treating (which i out source to professional heat treaters because it is the MOST important part of making a knife). turned out great. thumb grooves are perfect, and size is good.
    101_2128.jpg

101_2129.jpg

101_2127.jpg

i will update this thread, as work progresses. it is now ready for heat treat. you can grind the bevels before heat treat. some do, some don't. i used to do it before HT, but now i don't. its all personal prefence. you can also layout your scales, and drill them to fit. that way while your knife is away being treated, you can work the scales. again, i don't do it that way, but some do.

time to find some spare change in the couch and send this dog in to HT!

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    It looks great Cubby!!!!!!!! Thanks for posting pics.... I get to watch my knife getting built!
    Now I'm excited as hell!!:rockwoot:

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    Cubby,

Been waiting to hear back from ya. Shoot me a pm when you get a chance.

Great post. Nice to see how a real pro does it. I am curious about the belt type and grit myself. What are you using?

What made you decide to grind the bevels after heat treat? Is there a benefit or just personal preference?

Can I ask who you use for heat treating? I did my last one myself and it came out good, but I also broke two others along the way. One was a definite stress riser (now I know what that means) the other I think I waiting too long to get to the tempering.

Looking forward to the rest of the process.

Take care and thanks for sharing.

Sweet James

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    London
    Great job and great grinder. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Looks like it will be a very nice knife. What you planning for the scales?

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    belts range from a 36 grit to a 400 grit. i don't use the 400 for finish work. i wusually stop at around 150-220. i make knives to use, not show. the higher grits are used to smooth handles, and sharpen.

as far as how many hours. it varies for each knife. all depends on where i am going with it, the design, and the desired level of finish.

prices vary, too. it all depends.

as to folders. i have made three friction folders. two were pretty sweet. one of those got lost to british customs. the other is living with a hoosier in the south. recurves, gray g10 and moonglow (glow in the dark!) backspacers on .25" pivots. i really lke those two! the one i put in this picture was too fubar'd to do anything with. it was my VERY first attempt at a friction folder, and i mucked it up, bad! hahahhaa!! but here is a pic i swear i wouldn't ever show......

PFC. your knife is in here... along with a Pikal AM XL.

101_2130.jpg

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    holy cow! there was a page two!! hahaha!!!

fergy: i use either pual bos (the best there ever was!) or texas knife supply. i have had excellent results with both. i did have Micheal Burch (an excellent knife maker) heat treat some 1095 knives for me.

i grind the bevels after heat treat because doing it the other way you do the same job twice. not FULLY twice, but you preform the same actions two times. doing it after HT, for me, actually uses LESS belts. you have to be very careful not to get the knife to hot, or else you will ruin the heat treat. i will saw it, once again, the HEAT TREAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF MAKING A KNIFE!!!

scales on this particular knife will be black g10 with stainless steel corby bolts.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    knife is almost complete. i came back to this thread, and just realised. it needed a skull crusher. whooooops. looks like i'll be grinding some handle material off! pictures, coming soon!

Top Bottom