• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    This got me thinking. I was due to pick up a transferred item from an FFL today, a one man operation. A conversation with the FFL's wife informed me that he was in the hospital. Obviously, I understand about life events and was more interested that the man was well. I am not concerned about the possible wait to retrieve my item while someone recovers. It would seem that my minor inconvenience should not 45th President an accident. My brain likes to run traps.... so I ask.... What is the procedure when an FFL passes with items being held? First thoughts are the FFL has made arrangements of some sort in the event of his passing. Does the ATF get involved?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I'd love to hear from anyone who has run into this in Indiana. Google results say executors and spouses can run the business and send stuff to another FFL, LE and ATF may coordinate reshipment to another FFL, or businesses set up as an LLC with a backup person on the license can simply take over and do it.

I'm sure it happens often enough for there to be a process, knowing how geriatric the home based FFLs are being. And, of course, with nobody around to sign for it there should be no new transfers getting dropped off.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'd love to hear from anyone who has run into this in Indiana. Google results say executors and spouses can run the business and send stuff to another FFL, LE and ATF may coordinate reshipment to another FFL, or businesses set up as an LLC with a backup person on the license can simply take over and do it.

I'm sure it happens often enough for there to be a process, knowing how geriatric the home based FFLs are being. And, of course, with nobody around to sign for it there should be no new transfers getting dropped off.
    This. Its far from "lost". Just delayed indefinitely.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee

I would think most would have a contingency plan in place.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    We had a gunsmith, here in Fort Wayne, who passed away several years ago (10+) and dad had a rifle in for repair.
    An INGO member helped me to make contact with the ATF, then made arrangements to meet him, identify the rifle, and sign a release
    in order to retrieve it and return it to dad! Fortunately, the gunsmith had made the repairs prior the medical incident that took his life.
    All-in-all...the process took about 3 weeks to completion.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I have no idea, I would assume any of the firearms held by the departed FFL could be disposed to another FFL, but that could involve waiting for the estate to be settled.

When I was doing transfers a couple years ago, we had a customer order a handgun, then pass away before it could be transferred to him. That wasn’t a huge deal, but did take a few phone calls to get straightened out. Ended up having the executor of his estate bring in a form stating her power of attorney, and transferred the gun to her.

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Be glad your item is not subject to NFA. Imagine a rare and costly machine gun sitting in an FFL's safe for 11 months waiting for approval.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Be glad your item is not subject to NFA. Imagine a rare and costly machine gun sitting in an FFL's safe for 11 months waiting for approval.
    My understanding is this would not be a big deal. Whoever controls the FFL in probate simply transfers the MG another willing FFL to be held until approved. Its not like transferring the gun to another dealer's books starts the ATF's paperwork over. And I think I have read stories of the ATF actually fast tracking applications in these situations to get them out of the system faster. (complete the transfer to the owner vs transferring twice)

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Been there,
    Years ago I had a HK 53 transferred from a dealer in Va to a Dealer in Silver Spring, MD.
    While I was waiting for my form 4 to be out of jail with my MD dealer, he ended up doing 10 years of Federal time. It took years for me to get that firearm.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My understanding is this would not be a big deal. Whoever controls the FFL in probate simply transfers the MG another willing FFL to be held until approved. Its not like transferring the gun to another dealer's books starts the ATF's paperwork over. And I think I have read stories of the ATF actually fast tracking applications in these situations to get them out of the system faster. (complete the transfer to the owner vs transferring twice)
    There's more to it than that, I can say what I was involved with nothing was fast tracked.
    A law firm had the dozens of transferable's that this dealer had waiting for form 3's and 4's to come back. plus a few dozen of the dealers own personal transferable's.
    It was a ****ing mess. Buy the time it was clear for me to pickup my HK, I had moved to Indiana and then had to do yet another, form 4 and wait again.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    Update... Received a call from family member of the FFL They made arrangements to ship back to online seller. Lots of good communication back and forth. I confirmed that seller would accept firearm back. I then added a different FFL to the order. Should be as simple as seller receiving pistol back, sending it to new FFL and then getting a call to pick it up.
    I'll know more in about a week.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Update... Received a call from family member of the FFL They made arrangements to ship back to online seller. Lots of good communication back and forth. I confirmed that seller would accept firearm back. I then added a different FFL to the order. Should be as simple as seller receiving pistol back, sending it to new FFL and then getting a call to pick it up.
    I'll know more in about a week.
    Gotta ask, whos paying shipping both ways and transfer fees on each end?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Gotta ask, whos paying shipping both ways and transfer fees on each end?
    Would there even be a transfer fee on the first trip since the original receiving FFL is rejecting and not logging it to his books? At that point it's just FFL to FFL and they can ship between themselves pretty cheap, if they choose to. So it's just an extra shipping fee on the seller, I'd think.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Would there even be a transfer fee on the first trip since the original receiving FFL is rejecting and not logging it to his books? At that point it's just FFL to FFL and they can ship between themselves pretty cheap, if they choose to. So it's just an extra shipping fee on the seller, I'd think.
    I dont know, thats why I asked. But it seems the firearm was logged it already awaiting pickup.
    When it happened to me, I had to pay for overnight shipping twice and another stamp.

Top Bottom