• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    In 2020 45% of Americans making median income could afford a median price home.
    That number has fallen to just 16% as home prices have risen substantially(as has institutional buying) and rates on a mortgage loan have risen. Homes are less affordable than they ever have been in history.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    That number has fallen to just 16% as home prices have risen substantially(as has institutional buying) and rates on a mortgage loan have risen. Homes are less affordable than they ever have been in history.

My first homes interest rate was just over 17%. It took almost 50% of our income to make the payments.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    My first homes interest rate was just over 17%. It took almost 50% of our income to make the payments.
    I can relate to this. My interest rate wasn’t that high but we had just relocated from another state. My wife wasn’t working so the mortgage was literally 50% of our income. You do what you gotta do to get by. We survived and are doing well now.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I can relate to this. My interest rate wasn’t that high but we had just relocated from another state. My wife wasn’t working so the mortgage was literally 50% of our income. You do what you gotta do to get by. We survived and are doing well now.
    Yep, we sucked it up and lived in a efficiency apt for a few years saving money eyes to buy a new home.
    What I see loads of now are young folks still living at home, with some single and some married paying no rent and still have nothing to show for it.

A few weeks back I was inline getting a soda and a young woman in front of me is trying to figure out how to pay her bill with a few different cards. I tossed a ten on the counter to pay the bill, she turned around and thanked me and then said.
    Adulting is hard. Even the cashier laughed.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Here is today's release.

Inflation continues to run hot.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Fun fact: The 2002 Elantra we bought new in 2002 costs the same amount as the 2023 Forte GT we just purchased, which is the modern version of that elantra. $15k in 2002 is $26k today.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    That is a depressing site .................especially when I punched in what I paid for my first few cars .
    Here's a better one...
    Shadow Stats has some good insight into how the official inflation numbers have been tweaked through the years, in order to paint a more rosy picture.
    The serfs don't need to know their paper money is growing more worthless every year. :ugh:
    The Visual Capitalist
    DollarWorth.jpg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

The glut in social media of home price complaining is extreme. Yes prices went higher, faster. No, they are not higher than ever before on several metrics.

Some of the factors are government action...going back to the pandemic before the current administration but continuing into it for certain. The eviction and foreclosure moratoria are significant. The rise in construction costs due to supply chain issues. The rise of AirBNB and VRBO- more people highly leveraging (going into debt) for real estate investment in such properties. There are so many factors.

However, keeping this issue in front of us all and making it sound like a dire emergency is, IMHO is Russian (and/or Chinese) disinformation social media campaigns. They want us at each others throats and demanding the government "DO SOMETHING"...and the government doing something is what landed us where we are.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun
    Top Bottom