How’s the stimulus working out for Caterpillar?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!

By Michelle Malkin • April 21, 2009 11:35 AM
    cat.jpg

You’ll remember President Obama’s aggressive lobbying for the porkulus package at a Caterpillar plant in February. Obama grandly promised that if the stimulus passed, Caterpillar would rehire laid-off workers — a claim that was refuted by Caterpillar’s CEO.
    How’s it all working out for Caterpillar? Not so well:
    Caterpillar Inc., the world’s largest maker of bulldozers and excavators, posted its first quarterly net loss in 16 years and said full-year profit and sales will trail its previous forecast amid a global recession.
    The first-quarter net loss of $112 million, or 19 cents a share, compares with net income of $922 million, or $1.45, a year earlier, the Peoria, Illinois-based company said in a statement today. Revenue dropped 22 percent to $9.23 billion, and the company’s shares fell.
    …Caterpillar predicted the U.S. recession in October 2007 and said today it expects the world economy to decline about 1.3 percent this year. Chief Executive Officer Jim Owens has cut more than 24,000 jobs since December and imposed shutdowns, partial workweeks and executive pay cuts to cope with the global credit crisis and longest U.S. slump in a quarter century. Caterpillar fell $1.78, or 5.8 percent, to $28.70 at 9:34 a.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. The shares declined 32 percent this year before today.
    Obama used the company to ram the porkulus package through Congress. Now, Caterpillar’s having buyer’s remorse:
    Caterpillar Inc., the bulldozer manufacturer President Barack Obama used to help push his $787 billion stimulus plan, called the program disappointing and less effective than measures approved by China.
    “The infrastructure portion of the stimulus package was disappointing in that it was less aggressive than other countries and missed an opportunity to correct past underinvestment in U.S. infrastructure,” Caterpillar said in economic commentary with today’s first-quarter earnings report.
    Chief Executive Officer Jim Owens, 63, is a member of the president’s Economic Recovery Advisory Board. Obama visited the Peoria, Illinois, headquarters on Feb. 12, the final day of his campaign to press for Congressional passage. Caterpillar today reported its first net loss in 16 years as a global credit crunch and recession reduced demand from builders and miners.
    “You can measure America’s bottom line by looking at Caterpillar’s bottom line,” Obama said during the February visit. “What’s happening at this company tells us a larger story about what’s happening in the American economy.”

I wonder how many of the "We need another Carter, before we can have another Reagan" crowd would like a do over? If elections were reheld today would this douchebag still be elected?

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    if we are going to be pointing fingers, the Cat CEO is not immune to blame. He danced around the rehire issue a number of times while he was in Obamas pocket the entire time. Fact is, the gov cant make sweeping changes that will produce immediate results. Time, is the biggest facilitator in correcting this economy.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    if we are going to be pointing fingers, the Cat CEO is not immune to blame. He danced around the rehire issue a number of times while he was in Obamas pocket the entire time. Fact is, the gov cant make sweeping changes that will produce immediate results. Time, is the biggest facilitator in correcting this economy.

The government doesn't create jobs. The actions taken by this administration have delayed a recovery and burdened us all with massive debt.

versuchstier147

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Indiana
    I work for CAT. In the last two weeks we've brought in I guess 50 new people.

Did anyone else hear about what happened in France? I didn't see anything about it on US News and no one at CAT would say anything about it. But, 700 people there were getting laid off, so the employees rose up and took the supervisors hostage in the plant until they renegotiated. That was the third case in I think two weeks. How is it the French have the balls to pull this kind of thing off but....

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008

Did anyone else hear about what happened in France? I didn't see anything about it on US News and no one at CAT would say anything about it. But, 700 people there were getting laid off, so the employees rose up and took the supervisors hostage in the plant until they renegotiated. That was the third case in I think two weeks. How is it the French have the balls to pull this kind of thing off but....

Maybe because in a society where laws mean something, kidnapping and holding hostage would be met with criminal charges and not a renegotiated contract. Tell me how this is any different than the Somali pirates?

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    Another inside story

I work for an engineering firm in Illinois.

To make it worse and further illustrate the delay in even using the infrastructure funds, I'll add this.

Our clients will not even have their 'stimulus' projects constructed until 2010.

I can't speak for Indiana or other states in the union, but his own state has an automatic 1 year+ wait time to build things with the 'money'.

The fact that most of these projects are simple resurfacing projects and nothing profoundly impacting individual towns is another gripe for another day.

I do not see why politicians do not realize the problem here. Eisenhower's interstate building program took place in the 50's. The lifespan on a highway whether via fatigue or population growth forcing need to expand is around 50 years. Do the math. Sooner or later the government will need to realize that there needs to be a radical shift in our federal spending priorities.

I'm sure many will agree that the country is literally falling apart.

Kind of a rant, I know my :twocents: ...but caterpillar is by far the largest US equipment manufacturer and will one day yield the benefits when the policy shift changes. I hope both for them, and the line of work I am in, this shift happens shortly after 2012, and shortly after many other 'changes.' ;);)

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.

Oh yea?

439 Lafayette Caterpillar employees will be laid off on May 29th

BTW the French are morons!

A_Tomic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Orland, IN
    Obama Change

I'm sure many will agree that the country is literally falling apart.

Well, I dont really think the country is falling apart.

We need change, for sure... BUT NOT the OBAMMA Change.

Government does not produce ANYTHING!! PEROID!!! And the size of government needs to be reduced!! That way the producers of this country (you know.. the people that make things!!!) Can start making products that the people will be able to buy when their taxes are reduced from a reduction in the growth of government.

And don't get me started on how the INSURANCE companies have ruined the health care system... ps... when you go to the doctor, there is another whole group of people that have to get paid form the money that you spend... think of all the staff of insurance employees that are lumped into your Dr. bills.. then who pays for those fancy buildings on Meridian St. in INDY??? then you have the Lawyers to blame of all they're amblulance chasing. Get all of them out of health care, and it will be afordable for everyone.... ever hear anyone in washington talking about these ideas?

haha... I think I just put myself on the top of another government watch list.... :patriot:

versuchstier147

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Indiana
    Pirates will send out fake SOS calls and kill you, rape your women, and steal your cargo.

French people want to keep their Jobs, to feed their families. Vernoble, or whatever the town was I hear is very small. About half of it was about to be unemployed. (It may now be, I don't know)

And, I'm very sad to hear that about Lafayette. I wish they would've at least offered them to be moved to my plant, instead of hiring new people.

ElkhartGunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Eklhart
    Im sure having there company in such a high business taxed state like Illinois isin't helping either. Hey CAT, cross the line to Indiana!!

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    How’s the stimulus working out for Caterpillar?

About as well as for GM and Chrysler. The govt is proving particularly adept at throwing away billions to companies to delay, but not prevent, bankruptcy. I'm looking forward to paying higher taxes for years for this economic illiteracy.

Top Bottom