• DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Here, Here, I agree!
    Cleaning the outside coils is one of the best things you can do to keep your system running good.
    Changing filters (quality), is right up there too.
    My Trane system is 17 years old and holing up very well. I've always kept up with filter changes and cleaned the outside coils several times.
    Last year I had to replace two capacitors (one at blower motor and the other at the compressor, outside), all done myself.
    If you're comfortable with DIY projects of this nature, clean those coils. Plenty of youtube videos demonstrate how.

DocIndy, do you like Nu-Calgon, Refrigeration Technologies or are there better brands for the DIY professional homeowner?
    It just depends on how dirty the coil is. Most will benefit from just plain water. Chemical is next level. Without a proper applicator like a coil gun that lets you adjust the dilution ratio, you can do more harm than good if it’s straight cleaner.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This was always the culprit when ours did that, not an expensive fix, hopefully this is all it is.
    After you loose multiple capacitors it starts to take a toll on the compressor start windings. Or the windings are the reason for the cap failure. Try hey sometime go hand in hand. If you are loosing one more than once a season it becomes suspect. Rat hole some money back.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    After you loose multiple capacitors it starts to take a toll on the compressor start windings. Or the windings are the reason for the cap failure. Try hey sometime go hand in hand. If you are loosing one more than once a season it becomes suspect. Rat hole some money back.
    System was about 15 years old, it would have been time shortly i'm sure, sold the house recently though, building new.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    It just depends on how dirty the coil is. Most will benefit from just plain water. Chemical is next level. Without a proper applicator like a coil gun that lets you adjust the dilution ratio, you can do more harm than good if it’s straight cleaner.
    I've got a hose end foam sprayer. Not pressurized by a pressure washer, just the water pressure from the hose.
    It's got a 0-5 dilution dial.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    This thread helped me a lot. Thank you INGO and ghitch!!!
    My AC issue was the condenser as well. I had to let the HVAC company confirm it as I had just let them do a major repair a week or two ago and I wanted to make sure it wasn't that.
    I paid the $59 service call fee to confirm the condenser issue then I sent them on their way and I went and bought the condenser myself. They (the HVAC company) wanted $200 just for a condenser. Are you out of your freaking mind? I bought the condenser for about 30 bucks. Cheaper online but bought local and it's fixed today.

Last edited:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    This thread helped me a lot. Thank you INGO and ghitch!!!
    My AC issue was the condenser as well. I had to let the HVAC company confirm it as I had just let them do a major repair a week or two ago and I wanted to make sure it wasn't that.
    I paid the $59 service call fee to confirm the condenser issue then I sent them on their way and I went and bought the condenser myself. They (the HVAC company) wanted $200 just for a condenser. Are you out of your freaking mind? I bought the condenser for about 30 bucks. Cheaper online but bought local and it's fixed today.
    If you bought a condenser for $30 so tell where you found it. Condensers the whole outdoor unit… not a part of the unit. You probably meant capacitor.

Top Bottom