• ...and so much more!
  • rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    Click Here for Story

How’s this for an ill-conceived emergency preparedness drill? An off-duty cop pretending to be a terrorist stormed into a hospital intensive care unit brandishing a handgun, which he pointed at nurses while herding them down a corridor and into a room.
    There, after harrowing moments, he explained that the whole caper was a training exercise.
    The staff at St. Rose Dominican Hospitals-Siena Campus, where the incident took place Monday morning, found the exercise more traumatizing than instructive.
    Hospital employees would have been justified in fearing for their lives.
    Just last year, Henderson police shot and killed an armed, hostile man in the emergency room. So it would make sense that security and emergency preparedness have been a focus at the hospital.
    But in Monday’s incident, which occurred in a unit that houses the hospital’s sickest patients, nurses, patients and their families did not know it was a drill, said Renee Ruiz, organizer of the California Nurses Association, which represents staff at the hospital.
    “There are significant safety issues here,” Ruiz said. “We would never condone a drill like this. We put the safety of the patients and nurses and hospital staff first and foremost.”
    Ruiz said the union is investigating the incident. Many people saw the gunman, she said, and the union is gathering statements and talking to hospital administrators.
    Andy North, director of public policy and external affairs for the hospital, apologized for any distress caused by the incident. There’s been an “ongoing effort to try and make (emergency preparedness drills) as realistic as possible,” he said, but the goal is not to scare or harm anyone.
    He said as many as 10 employees were involved in the incident and no one was hurt. The actor was from a local police department, North said.
    The staff was supposed to have been told in advance of the exercise, but there was a “disconnect,” North said. That won’t happen again, he said.
    State regulators who license hospitals said Friday the incident may warrant investigation, depending on whether patient care was compromised.

Wow......guess they're lucky nobody that had a license to carry was there. I would have shot him without even thinking about it.

Oh well, that's Vegas for you.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I have two cousins that are nurses. They both carry at work secretly. They both are very good shots. That would have been a dead cop if they did that where they work.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    cops gone wild. next thing you know a guy will get arrested in indiana for excercising his rights. oops who would of thunk it happened.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Moronic. Somebody didn't think things through.

I once almost blew my assistant flight sgt away. We always trained very realistically, but we weren't supposed to be using "toy" guns that looked like the real thing, for obvious reasons. They did anyway, but usually we knew there was an exercise going on. One night, a car pulls into the parking lot of the area I was at, a man gets out and walks up to my entry control point with his parka hood rolled forward. Not at all unusual. I see his arm move, look down, and see a big ole 1911 on it's way up to me. A couple naughty words went through my head while I drew without even thinking about it. He happened to look up just before the hammer dropped. The look on his face would have been hilarious if we hadn't both been so terrified. We called someone else up to relieve me, and we both ran to the bathroom. He didn't think I could draw that quickly, and had been one of the people who had fought me when I started campaigning to allow that position to be armed with both an M16 and an M9. Regs required an M16, but I felt the chances of getting into action in such a scenario were non-existent. He felt the M9 would be equally useless because he didn't think it would be possible to deploy it in time, and would just be an extra burden. At the time this occurred, carrying both weapons was optional, and "being reviewed." Suffice to say, his "proof of concept" exercise didn't go the way he'd thought it would. He was seriously surprised I was able to draw in time. I was seriously surprised I didn't pee myself.

The plastic 1911 was deemed by him and the Flight Sgt to be a dumbass thing to have around, and was replace by some orange space gun looking thing before the end of the night LOL. The Col never found out what had happened, but accepted the reports that exercises had proven the concept of carrying both weapons to be sound.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY

I once almost blew my assistant flight sgt away. We always trained very realistically, but we weren't supposed to be using "toy" guns that looked like the real thing, for obvious reasons. They did anyway, but usually we knew there was an exercise going on. One night, a car pulls into the parking lot of the area I was at, a man gets out and walks up to my entry control point with his parka hood rolled forward. Not at all unusual. I see his arm move, look down, and see a big ole 1911 on it's way up to me. A couple naughty words went through my head while I drew without even thinking about it. He happened to look up just before the hammer dropped. The look on his face would have been hilarious if we hadn't both been so terrified. We called someone else up to relieve me, and we both ran to the bathroom. He didn't think I could draw that quickly, and had been one of the people who had fought me when I started campaigning to allow that position to be armed with both an M16 and an M9. Regs required an M16, but I felt the chances of getting into action in such a scenario were non-existent. He felt the M9 would be equally useless because he didn't think it would be possible to deploy it in time, and would just be an extra burden. At the time this occurred, carrying both weapons was optional, and "being reviewed." Suffice to say, his "proof of concept" exercise didn't go the way he'd thought it would. He was seriously surprised I was able to draw in time. I was seriously surprised I didn't pee myself.

The plastic 1911 was deemed by him and the Flight Sgt to be a dumbass thing to have around, and was replace by some orange space gun looking thing before the end of the night LOL. The Col never found out what had happened, but accepted the reports that exercises had proven the concept of carrying both weapons to be sound.
    Wow o wow, this is crazy! Glad it ended well.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts

You know what I got outta this? The image of someone in the military putting in an order for 1000 bright orange dollar store nerf knockoffs. :laugh:

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    2 words for this..........Douche Nozzles

To the hospital admin for thinking this was a good idea and for the po-po for agreeing with them.

IDIOTS

mx_chick_42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    I work at a hospital and i do believe most hospitals are anti-guns. so therefore all staff shouldnt have any weapon. and plus even guests are not to have guns. but i know i have walked into that hospital when not working and carried. if this happened when i was visiting someone i def would have shot him. and if not armed my b/f would have clocked that guy in the head and beat the crap out of him......def a very stupid idea

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    I wonder if someone had drawn and shot that guy what would have really happened to him, If I was on the jury I'd have to say I might have done the same thing.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I wonder if someone had drawn and shot that guy what would have really happened to him, If I was on the jury I'd have to say I might have done the same thing.

If the police actually followed the law, then nothing.

I'd say that an armed person threatening people would fall under the law for protecting yourself & others from imminent serious bodily injury.

Top Bottom