• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KingWeb50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Has anyone used the hornady hydro dies. I really dislike fire forming cases in a $4500 dollar rifle and would like to know if they actually work how they are advertised? If so do you recommend them or stick with fire forming

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    It all depends on how far you've got to go with them.

I've got a couple of sets - in some cases (Ha!) it is easier to hydro form, in others it is less of a pain just to fireform either with a projectile, or with a load of cornmeal or the like.

The thicker the case walls - the harder you are going to be pounding on the hydro die plunger. Once you get into the WSMish case wall thicknesses - over .015" it becomes more than a bit ponderous.

KingWeb50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    yeah its not going far just 6mm rem to 6mm crusader which is just blowing out to .455 and changing neck angle for the most part

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I have never owned a set but when I lived in NV a neighbor used them to form all his wilcats.

I much prefer shooting to sitting at the reloading bench, so I was biased from the start and never developed a liking for them. I could run maybe 50 or so cases before I got fed up with partial forms or bent the plunger or sprung a leak or whatever else.

Top Bottom