• ...and so much more!
  • Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    Hi everyone!
    I am planning to visit the Hoosier National Forest for the first time and do some backpacking with my sons. In my preparations, I couldn't find what the official ruling is on carrying in the Forest. I'm open to CC or OC.. just like to know what the law states on this.
    Is this allowed or frowned upon?

Thanks for anything you can point me to!

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    I did find this on the Hoosier National website:

Hunting, Trapping, Fishing & Firearms
    • Hunting is allowed anywhere on National Forest land except in recreation areas with designated boundaries, the Pioneer Mothers Memorial Forest, or where posted.
    • State laws on hunting, trapping and fishing are enforced on National Forest lands, requiring either a resident or nonresident license.
    • Discharging a firearm (including a bow and arrow) is prohibited in or within 150 yards of a developed recreation site, a residence, or any place where people are likely to be. Shooting across roads or bodies of water is also prohibited.
    • Target shooting is permitted in the general forest area (except in the Charles C. Deam Wilderness) as long as other persons in the area are not placed at risk and there is no damage to resources such as using a tree as a target.

So I believe it to be legal to carry.. but if anyone has additional info, I'd be happy to hear it!

FCS-04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Bloomfield
    Legal to carry, if you're on the north side you cant carry within 100 yards of Lake monroe as it is army core land and can't carry in the recreational areas.

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    Carry is legal however the 100 yard from lake Monroe comment is kinda sorta partially inaccurate. The army corps boundary is not a constant 100 yards. In some places it is but it may be more or less depending on what parcel of land you are standing on. I would say it is a good rule of thumb though.

Top Bottom