• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Pretty much all kids these days have cell phones, ask to go to the bathroom and call your parents. That or text them or something.

As someone else said, worst case leave school and get in trouble for missing that day. I am sure her parents would write her a note and make something up for why she left.

It sucks that it happened to her, hope it turns out fine.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    You're on the right track, Roadie, but that there is a law, rule, whatever that says someone cannot bring OTC or prescribed medication (prescribed for them) to school is the root of the problem. Yes, "zero tolerance" is a problem. It's not THE problem here, just a symptom of it.

I think if a school authority catches a student with some "forbidden" substance, maybe :ugh: someone should call the child's parents and inform them, and let them mete out discipline as they see fit. You know, since they are the parents, after all.

Makes sense to me, anyway.

Blessings,
    Bill

Makes sense to me too.
    When my step children were still in school I had to go over and sign a permission slip for them to keep OTC Allergy medicine in the Nurses office. ugh
    I used to carry allergy meds, heck I carried a KNIFE to school every day too!

Oh the HORROR! :rolleyes:

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    Pretty much all kids these days have cell phones, ask to go to the bathroom and call your parents. That or text them or something.

As someone else said, worst case leave school and get in trouble for missing that day. I am sure her parents would write her a note and make something up for why she left.

It sucks that it happened to her, hope it turns out fine.
    Now you're teaching kids to be dishonest. =p

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    sepe said:
    The reason these rules are even enforced are because of events such as: the shootings at Columbine High and Virginia Tech. We may live in a small town but that doesn't mean that someone isn't capable of commiting such a crime.

The enforcement of these asinine rules actually facilitate incidents like the ones you mentioned. Its the same old "gun free zone" logical fallacy. The only "reason" for having these rules is because some progressive fool used their position to push forth their anti-liberty agenda.

I am behind the School 100% and i'm not afraid to say it. The words "forgot" and "gun/rifle" should never be in the same sentence. I don't care if she was an honor student, thats totally irrelevant. Anyone who believes that how good a student someone is has anything to do with making there punishment less, is only a stones throw away from saying that a certain sect of people is better than/ deserves to be treated differently than others.

I'm not saying that I hope the girl is expelled and her future destroyed, but I have no pity for stupid people.

I have no patience for Gun Controllers. While you chase your gun free utopia based on unconstitutional rules, the rest of us see the unfolding nightmare that is becoming the norm in America. Police Dogs sniffing children at school? Warrantless searches of trunks in parking lots? Teaching students to be institutionalized drones who hate weapons and submit to unjust rules? It is disgraceful. This school and all its progressive supporters are 100% wrong.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    Yeah well, they need to learn the ways of the real world sooner or later.

Try telling a woman who asks if something makes her look fat that it does. Sometimes honesty is not the best policy. :)
    OMG if only this was a thread on examples of how you're right.

But seriously though...

rambone, I think you're being a little unreasonable towards sepe... I would take a shot in the dark and say he doesn't hate guns...

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    rambone, I think you're being a little unreasonable towards sepe... I would take a shot in the dark and say he doesn't hate guns...

I don't think sepe hates guns. I just felt compelled to say something about the supposed reasons that people put up with gun free zones and how ineffective they are.

But the other guy, I dunno.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Rambone, if you read the post you quoted that Columbine and Virginia Tech thing wasn't from me. That was a quote from the article posted in the first post of this thread that I was asked to point out as it was missed. The bold part of that quote was what I was pointing out but I wanted to post the entire comment so it didn't look like I was making it up. As far as the person that made the comment, they are a bit clueless as the Federal Act that forces the schools to act was in place 9 years prior to Columbine.

I do NOT agree with the gun free zones and I do NOT agree with zero tolerance but the people on here getting stuck on the fact that because she is an honor roll student, it should be forgotten. Just because someone makes an A or B in all of their classes doesn't mean they're any better person of character than a person that struggles to make Cs. The school system has to act in a situation like this and they did. I pointed out where the administration is saying they won't expel the girl for the year.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The school system has to act in a situation like this and they did. I pointed out where the administration is saying they won't expel the girl for the year.

I don't think its its necessary that they suspend the girl for 3 weeks. Several people pointed out that a more reasonable thing to do would be to allow her to go home and drop off the rifle, and avoid the Stasi and their gun-sniffing dogs.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I would've thought it would have been reasonable for the girl to either be allowed to go home and have a note from her parents saying she went home sick or for her to ask to go to the bathroom and make a short phone call to have someone get her car and take it off the campus. I don't think that it is a big deal that she had the rifle in her car. The problem is the Federal Act that kind of forced the school to act and the fact that the majority of the citizens of this country have allowed our freedoms to be taken from us.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Well, she's not going to be expelled. She got lucky she lived where she did.

Columbia Falls girl back in school - Daily Inter Lake: Local/Montana

And this is what I've been saying since I read more than 1 article and posted an emotional response. An article I posted was the day after the original article in this thread and it said she wasn't going to be expelled for the remainder of the year. Sometimes it pays to read more than headlines before getting emotional.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    And this is what I've been saying since I read more than 1 article and posted an emotional response. An article I posted was the day after the original article in this thread and it said she wasn't going to be expelled for the remainder of the year. Sometimes it pays to read more than headlines before getting emotional.

This is not all just a bunch of media hype. The fact is, that horrible laws & school policies exist, and they screw harmless people every single day. This girl's case just allows the injustice to be brought to the average person's attention.

There is more to be alarmed at than just the proposition of one girl facing expulsion.... How have we allowed the Bill of Rights to become so lost? Why do we have to ask for people to "bend the rules" so that innocent people are not punished? Why are we treating schools like military bases or prisons? How have we become a nation of freedom-hating cowards? Why are our laws so incredibly jacked up that we must we hold demonstrations in the streets to see that real justice is served?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    This is not all just a bunch of media hype. The fact is, that horrible laws & school policies exist, and they screw harmless people every single day. This girl's case just allows the injustice to be brought to the average person's attention.

There is more to be alarmed at than just the proposition of one girl facing expulsion.... How have we allowed the Bill of Rights to become so lost? Why do we have to ask for people to "bend the rules" so that innocent people are not punished? Why are we treating schools like military bases or prisons? How have we become a nation of freedom-hating cowards? Why are our laws so incredibly jacked up that we must we hold demonstrations in the streets to see that real justice is served?

You know, I agree with you. Generations have let our society come to this and there sadly isn't a whole lot we can do about it. Even if there is a ballsy politician that says all the right things, how often do they follow through? This case is an injustice but like it or not, it is a way of life until someone with some backbone can get elected to try to make some real change. Too many people in our society are more than happy to be told what to do and when to do it. I do not and will not ever agree with the jacked up policies but until we can get some change, it is what it is. It seems that there are more people that would rather just go through life thinking that they're safe and secure because there are cops on the street and our lying politicians tell us things are okay. I am far from a hardcore conservative(not a bleeding heart liberal either) but I can see and understand views from both sides and I know to search for information when I see something that isn't right. My issue with this thread wasn't the fact that she was being punished too hard for something that isn't a very big deal especially in a rural community, my issue was the overly emotional feeling with some things said and people overlooking the fact that there is a FEDERAL ACT that deals with this and the school system can lose federal funding if they don't follow procedure. Once again, I don't agree with all the stupid laws, acts, and restrictions put on society just to make the sheep feel safe.

Top Bottom