Home range back stop suggestions needed.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Hey fellow Ingoers, the wife and I have found the house of our dreams, and it sits on 9.1 beautiful acres in the middle of farm country. Naturally when I saw 9.1 acres for sale I immediately thought of a home range in my back yard.

the land I'm buying is half wooded, and half mowed for a lawn. My question is, outside of hauling in a few metric tons of dirt into the woods, what can I do to create a workable backstop to keep my rounds from going past my property and potentially causing harm? My thoughts were creating a box out of two sheets of 3/4 inch plywood, 2x8 boards and filling the cavity inside with play beach sand. If I place a wood target holder in front of it, would that suffice in stopping rounds up to 8mm Mauser? If not, what would you do?

tahnks

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I am lucky enough to have spill banks in my woods making natural backstops/berms. :D You are on the right track, but I would just build a berm as ranges do and you'll be good to go for lots of shooting.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Two 3/4" pieces of plywood and ~8" of sand? I doubt that would stop very many 8mm Mauser rounds. It'll be destroyed in short order.

Round bales of hay will stop nearly any rifle bullet. Just don't let the livestock eat it once it's full of lead.

But really a dirt mound is the best option.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    I plan on using rail road ties in a v shape with tires stacked up in the front of the v. Then fill the tires with sand and the the area between the tires and rr ties with dirt. that will stop everything but 50 cal. Just remember to build larger than you need as other people are not as accurate.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I plan on using rail road ties in a v shape with tires stacked up in the front of the v. Then fill the tires with sand and the the area between the tires and rr ties with dirt. that will stop everything but 50 cal. Just remember to build larger than you need as other people are not as accurate.
    I'd be more worried about bullets bouncing/deflecting off of the tires.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Hey fellow Ingoers, the wife and I have found the house of our dreams, and it sits on 9.1 beautiful acres in the middle of farm country. Naturally when I saw 9.1 acres for sale I immediately thought of a home range in my back yard.

the land I'm buying is half wooded, and half mowed for a lawn. My question is, outside of hauling in a few metric tons of dirt into the woods, what can I do to create a workable backstop to keep my rounds from going past my property and potentially causing harm? My thoughts were creating a box out of two sheets of 3/4 inch plywood, 2x8 boards and filling the cavity inside with play beach sand. If I place a wood target holder in front of it, would that suffice in stopping rounds up to 8mm Mauser? If not, what would you do?

tahnks
    I guess you could buy a lot of AR500 steel and basically make a bullet trap.

Probably be easier to just get a lot of dirt though.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Politicians. Lots of politicians.
    Most I've seen are too good at "dodging the bullet" to be much of a backstop.

A tri-axle of sand isn't all that expensive. Pile it against something (RR ties, logs, a hill), and just push it back into place now and then. As nighthawk mentioned: taller and wider than you think you need, just in case.
    The Box O' Truth #7 - The Sands O' Truth - The Box O' Truth
    It doesn't take all that much sand to stop even a rifle round.

This is my favorite design. Maybe ONE day, I'll get to build one of my own!
    Pistolrange007.jpg

Top Bottom