• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Home carry. The first story makes me sick to my stomach, thinking about my wife and daughters...

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    I carry from the time I get up till when I go to bed. Someone WILL pay heavily coming into my home uninvited. There is no tolerance on my part cause they obviously mean to change my life in some way.

jhparsons78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2013
    West Lafayette
    It is sad to see what our society is becoming. We will support the first four through our tax dollars when evidence has shown that rehabilitation is unlikely. Make many wonder of the alternatives. Wish all of them could end up like the second story.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    It is sad to see what our society is becoming. We will support the first four through our tax dollars when evidence has shown that rehabilitation is unlikely. Make many wonder of the alternatives. Wish all of them could end up like the second story.

There are two facets, seemingly juxtaposed: on one hand, violent crime is down, drastically, over the past couple decades; but on the other hand, the violent criminals today are seemingly becoming far more depraved, and brazen.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    There are two facets, seemingly juxtaposed: on one hand, violent crime is down, drastically, over the past couple decades; but on the other hand, the violent criminals today are seemingly becoming far more depraved, and brazen.

Question to the second point... Is there any chance that the crimes appear more heinous to the public because of the media's ability to extract the information to make the article more attractive to more readers. More readership equates to more people seeing the article. More people will read the big city write ups than from the Hooterville gazette. Both could report that something happened but, the way it is reported can sell the article . A rape reported with little "flavor " is still rape . Personally I think we should criticize the media for some of the problem!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have to admit I get a warm fuzzy feeling when I hear that some perp as lost his life during a home invasion. I feel no pity for the victim. And I get tired of the perps family's saying "my boy wouldn't hurt no one, why'd they have to kill him".

One of my pistols is always within arms reach at all times. Either in my pocket. On my night stand or in the side pocket of my chair that I sit in. South Bend has had a lot of home invasions over the last several years. Some have been within a few blocks of me. I hope to never have to be put in a position to have to shoot someone. But I will if I feel the need and the thread warrants it.

I've always said that hope my LTCH was a waste of money and I never have to benefit from having it. But the old saying is true. I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. I also avoid places that aren't gun friendly. I haven't seen a movie, shopped at Target or any of the malls or eaten at BW3's in many years.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I carry from the time I get up till when I go to bed. Someone WILL pay heavily coming into my home uninvited.

Or, we could just turn on the exterior lights of our houses.

Internet Effect. People read it from everywhere so it seems like it is right next door.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

Internet Effect. People read it from everywhere so it seems like it is right next door.

Good second line of defense. I don't count on the individual criminal to behave according to the pattern, though. There are no talismans. Effective defenses are systems made up of multiple elements. Lights are a good second layer, and will almost always do the job.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I just cannot figure out, why the "femminists", think it is okay, for a woman, to be raped, instead of shooting, the would be rapist .....

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I just cannot figure out, why the "femminists", think it is okay, for a woman, to be raped, instead of shooting, the would be rapist .....

Nearly as I can tell, the priority of issues is as follows:

Apologizing to Terrorists>Race>Sexual ID>Guns>Environment>Women's Issues>Wealthiest 1%

Obviously this is a generalization, and depending on what the headlines are at any given moment, this is a bit fluid.

mcjon77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013

I think that criminals are just as depraved as they ever were, but we are hearing about the gory details MUCH MUCH more. 30 years ago, if the event wasn't covered on the nightly news for the big 3 TV stations, or on the front page of the local newspapers, you probably would never know about it. Even if it did make the news papers or network/local news, unless it was "the crime of the century", those venues would cover it for a day to a week at most, then move on to the next story.

Today, we have MULTIPLE 24 hour cable news stations, virtually EVERY local newspaper has a website. News aggregator like news.goolge.com can pull all of these articles together and allow easy access to them. Plus you have blogs and forums like these which allow further discussion of these events. Finally, all of the above mentioned articles, blogs, and forum posts can be EASILY accessed years later via web search.

For example, lets take the first story about the mother and daughter being raped in Indianapolis, but imagine if it had happened 30 years ago. Even though Indianapolis is 3 hours away from Chicago, since the crime didn't involve an actual MURDER, I seriously doubt if it would have made the news in Chicago. It certainly would not have been a national story. It would have been a major LOCAL story for a week. Then the press would move on. 10 years later, if you wanted to research the story, you would have to go to the LIBRARY IN INDIANAPOLIS to review old newspapers.

Today, for better and for worse, we are more connected to everything that happens everywhere in the world.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    Today, for better and for worse, we are more connected to everything that happens everywhere in the world.

Good point. For me, I think it is for the better because I like to be informed. However, I, like others here, know how to read through the hype in the news and know how to accept reality for what it is. Unfortunately, it seems to scare the majority of people, which it seems is the objective of the news these days. Of course, these are the people that choose to filter the reality out of their lives that is unpleasant for them.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I think that criminals are just as depraved as they ever were, but we are hearing about the gory details MUCH MUCH more. 30 years ago, if the event wasn't covered on the nightly news for the big 3 TV stations, or on the front page of the local newspapers, you probably would never know about it. Even if it did make the news papers or network/local news, unless it was "the crime of the century", those venues would cover it for a day to a week at most, then move on to the next story.

I think that's true, but I don't think it's only that. Robberies are turning more often into more-dangerous home-invasion robberies. Rapes are turning into gang-rapes. Murders are turning into torture sessions (people being burned alive, etc.).

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    In the middle of the night, why would there be any deterrent value to turning on an exterior light when no will see it except for the thug using the light to help him break in? Your car parked in the driveway, or the ACME alarm sign, ought to be actual deterrents. As for the light, hopefully it will back-light them like a sillouete target.

singlemalt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Frankfort
    I carry everywhere allowed. I try to avoid places where I'm not welcomed. If you threaten me or my family I will put you down like a rabid dog. Wish more people felt the same way.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Thankfully, the family in the first story are still alive. Traumatized, but alive. The four pieces of crap that did that to them shouldn't be.

Glad the second story thug got dispatched.

Top Bottom