• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    No matter how much they make their vehicles look good, same with BMWs, they can never get their quality/durability better. Their product is a money sink. If you don't know what to do with your money, buy a Mercedes/BMW.

I own 2 MB and I know I shouldn't type this, but never put any money into them other than normal maintenance.

Ronald

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    I own 2 MB and I know I shouldn't type this, but never put any money into them other than normal maintenance.

Ditto. It's funny how many folks there are with little to no personal experience with the brand(s) that are always so quick to put them down.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    In 2006 and 2014 I considered buying a new Mercedes. Did a lot of internet research wading through various forums. Conclusion? Nice cars but expect to pay high ongoing maintenance costs, very expensive parts, and not always the best customer service. Ended up buying new top of the line Accords and have been very happy with them. I just couldn't justify the extra $20K to see a three point star on the hood.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Quick to put them down? And claim one of the lucky ones? It would be helpful if both of you can elaborate as to why those cars you own aren't even praised for their quality. This is not like buying shoes that if you have one and it fails, you can just buy another one. If the reviews are not going to be good, why should I dive in and risk it? If you're happy with your vehicles, then cool.

Are these reviewers getting paid to say that Benz/BMW are not reliable? I don't know. But I've read too many complaints from previous owners about them in other forums hence I'm staying away.

Like Spec4 said, paying for a high price maintenance alone is not worth it. We have a Lexus and maintenance cost at a toyota dealer is reasonable. What makes Benz/BMW any different?

We can go back an forth about this but it doesn't explain the % of people having problems with it hence the poor reviews.

Last edited:

GustavHalbach

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Over my 35 years of driving I have owned 3 Mercedes and 5 BMW's....both in Holland and in the USA. Currently have 2 BMW's. My experience in the US is that people who don't like MB or BMW have, for whatever reason, their own axe (cost, perception, too foreign, jealousy etc) grind with German cars. They ARE high quality vehicles.

I just chalk it up to "Haters gonna hate" and keep driving my Bavarian beauties.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Then why does reviews like this keep popping up. Even though it's an old article but it's still will divert potential buyers. No one is hating here, some might, I'm not, I'm just saying that if feedbacks like these keeps happening, others like me won't even attempt to dive into it.

My only issue is, as expensive as these vehicles are, where are these issues coming from? And why?

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Those rankings are based on buyers perceptions. I would suggest that the buyer of a Mercedes has much higher expectations than a buyer of a Toyota.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Why are modern cars being compared to my 2002 BMW?

Actually, I could care less really. After being in a wreck and walking away from it unscratched, I'll take the "issues" * knowing how well built the car is from first hand experience being tboned by a non licensed/insured driver.

And if you are going to link an article about how poor the quality is, link an article that doesn't use cup holders as an example.

*not even sure what the issues are, best vehicles I have ever owned.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Why are modern cars being compared to my 2002 BMW?

Actually, I could care less really. After being in a wreck and walking away from it unscratched, I'll take the "issues" * knowing how well built the car is from first hand experience being tboned by a non licensed/insured driver.

And if you are going to link an article about how poor the quality is, link an article that doesn't use cup holders as an example.

*not even sure what the issues are, best vehicles I have ever owned.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Happened to me too. Had a 2003 Solara Tboned in 2011 and got totaled. It was all paid out too and **** happened.

As for this topic, you can nitpick all you want, don't care really, and that article touched more than just cupholders. Read the comments there too as there's quite a bit of unhappy previous owners.

I'm not trying to persuade you or anyone else here about how the reliability is. Dependability/safety is what you're referring to when it comes to crashes and other makers have that too. When I made my comment about it's reliability is just that, nothing else. For me, I want that. For you and others, priorities are different. That's the beauty of it, you can choose what you want and what to compromise.

I am an open book. I've driven rentals/loaners and love to try things out. Hell, I'm appreciating the new Chevy Impala, it drives really well.

As for the Benz/BMW, as long as reviews like that keeps happening, I'll pass. Maybe in another 10 years time we'll see a different review as that's how they look at reliability. Not really want to risk it on my part. Others have said bad things about Toyota products too, I could care less as they are few and my experience with it is flawless. Majority of Toyota owners feel the same way in addition to good reviews. That's just me.

This discussion reminds me of which phone is better, Apple, Droid or Windows phone. I have experienced all of them and each one is tailored to certain users. This is the same thing with cars. One wants performance, others reliability. People either buy or lease.

My friend's boss went car shopping between Lexus and BMW. He didn't like Lexus as it was too smooth and comfortable. He went with BMW as it's more responsive and stiffer. Different rides for different buyers.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Cars Most Likely To Get To 200,000 Miles - Business Insider

And not a single BMW or Merc to be seen on the page...

But, I'll admit that, generally speaking, those who can afford higher-priced "European" luxury vehicles just may not WANT or NEED to keep a vehicle to 200k miles. But this may also suggest that those who buy used also cannot get them to the 200k mile threshold.

Corrolary: Those buying more economical "American" and "Japanese" vehicles don't have the money to buy a new vehicle once it hits 100k miles - and therefore may be forced, financially, into seeking repairs and limping a car as long as they can.

Here's to hoping that my Altima can make it another 70k miles!

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Go to the BMW and MB forums - you will find all sorts of people from every walk of life with cars well over 200k. There are many M5's from the E39 series with over 200k and you know those aren't generally driven easy.

I still find it funny that car magazines want to compare a 1998-2003 BMW to the new Chevy SS.

Google Lexus issues and find those reliability issues they "don't" have. Saw one with what looks like a common oil sludge problem and $6,000 to fix. No thanks!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Of course you'll find more high mileage cars on forums dedicated to those cars.

Not defending the article; just posting for thought. However, I still find it somewhat telling that there aren't ANY "European" cars on that list.

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    Probably not near as many European cars sold.

I know personally of 2 Mercedes(240k and 275k) and 2 BMW's(225k and 198k) with high mileage and no major breakdowns.

Also knew and older fellow that had a s10 with a 2.2(widely accepted as one of the worst motors ever) that went over 300k before dying of a head gasket issue.

Part chance, part maintenance, part initial engineering when it comes to high mileage vehicles.

Top Bottom