• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I've been wanting to mount a leg strap to one of my shooting belts for a while. I just couldn't really find a good way to do it to a Safariland UBL that I liked even though I'd already done some modifications to it to make it fit s 1.75" belt. I happened to see some hangers in an add on a social media website. I have a hard time buying stuff I know I can make in my garage in an hour or less, so I took some measurements off my UBL and started laying out a new hanger on some G-10 and made one. This is not an original idea by any means, but I've been beating on it this past week and it works pretty well.

stuff5.JPG

stuff4.jpg

stuff3.jpg

stuff2.jpg

stuff.jpg

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Nice work.

Did you use a drop hanger before? Did it have a lot of movement where you thought a leg strap would help?

I use a boss and it is pretty solid. Enough movement to bend when you get into some positions, but not enough to bother anything.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Nice work.

Did you use a drop hanger before? Did it have a lot of movement where you thought a leg strap would help?

I use a boss and it is pretty solid. Enough movement to bend when you get into some positions, but not enough to bother anything.

All my gun belts have the Same Safariland UBL low hanger I've been using for the last fifteen years except my SWAT one, which is a drop leg.

You can see the one I wear every day second from the bottom is a little beat up. :laugh:

belts.jpg

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    As an aside, if you have belts with the cobra buckle, one of these hangers is ridiculously convenient. I 100% stole the idea from Wilder Tactical, although Esstac makes them also out of metal. I think the $10 wilder charges for them is well worth it, but I still have a problem with buying something I can make out of scrap G-10 in my garage.

cobrahanger1.jpg

cobrahanger2.jpg

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I’m not sure how I missed this the first go ‘round, but that is absolutely sexy. Nice work sir. How do you like it versus a regular UBL? Does it work pretty well with the straight drop?

When I ran a leg strap for K9, I ran a regular UBL and chopped a drop flex adapter and made a leg strap mount that worked quite well.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    I’m not sure how I missed this the first go ‘round, but that is absolutely sexy. Nice work sir. How do you like it versus a regular UBL? Does it work pretty well with the straight drop?

When I ran a leg strap for K9, I ran a regular UBL and chopped a drop flex adapter and made a leg strap mount that worked quite well.

I actually don't really notice a difference in the two. I've since added a Safariland Quick Locking System to it, so the holster sticks out more. I like it better that way.

There are some small things I'd change if I were to make another one, but for a first attempt I don't think I did a bad job. For one, I'd like the leg strap to be able to disconnect easily instead of having to take it out of the loops if I don't want it. I'm also toying with the idea of making a hinge at the belt so the holster moves with you, but that would put it at a bad angle to draw from sitting (like most drop legs do).

Top Bottom