• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    So some unsettling things have happened lately at the freekforge house. We had a guy back into our driveway and ring the door bell a bunch then pound on the door and then try to pull the door open. This was while I was at work and my wife and two younger kids home and she doesn't answer the door for strangers. So that was kinda weird. Then we got back from our trip and all the doors were still locked, the two front doors were still deadbolted and the back door was dead bolted and I pulled the washer over some to barricade the door as well. All that was untouched. Nothing was moved or missing upstairs. I go down to my basement that is divided into a storage area and my leather shop and reloading area. It was trashed 7 cases of water were busted on the floor, tools all over the floor, pellet guns that were on the bench were tossed across the basement, leather was dumped on the floor. It was really weird. There was plenty that could have been stolen and sold for dope money but everything was still there.

All that being said my wife wants to start shooting ARs more often to train and practice for a defensive scenario. My main rifle has an eotech on it but I know my wife and know that in a high stress situation she is likely to miss a few steps. So I don't want to add anything extra to her grabbing the gun and going to work and the eotech requires you to turn it on. I have a 403b on a 300blk that doesn't see a lot of use so I'm considering swapping the optics so that the main HD gun has the holosun solely for the shake awake feature. How does the 403b hold up to hard long-term use. If it was just me I wouldn't really worry about it but she isn't a gun person so she's not going to think about hitting the backup sights or using the tube as a big ghost ring with the fixed front sight if the dot fails. I really only have light range use on the holosun so I'd like to hear from those that put them through their paces. Eventually I'll get a better shake awake or constant on dot but it's not in the books at the moment.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    First of all, so glad your family is safe - that's a nightmare scenario there, something bad happening to my child.

Second, I would strongly encourage some sort of camera system, even if it's just one facing your front door or driveway. I know that's not your question, but I've been happy with my Ring security cameras, and there are a lot of quality brands out there that don't break the bank. Even a single nanny cam in your basement.

Ive had a 403b on one of my 7.62x39 rigs for awhile that sees pretty constant range use. Also have quite a few other Holosuns riding on top of AKs and other shooters. Personally, yes I would trust my family's life to these.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    First of all, so glad your family is safe - that's a nightmare scenario there, something bad happening to my child.

Second, I would strongly encourage some sort of camera system, even if it's just one facing your front door or driveway. I know that's not your question, but I've been happy with my Ring security cameras, and there are a lot of quality brands out there that don't break the bank. Even a single nanny cam in your basement.

Ive had a 403b on one of my 7.62x39 rigs for awhile that sees pretty constant range use. Also have quite a few other Holosuns riding on top of AKs and other shooters. Personally, yes I would trust my family's life to these.
    Yea it has us both pretty worried. I think it's even creepier that nothing was taken the basement was just ransacked. I have zero idea how they got in the only access to the basement besides the door ,which is inside, is the coal shoot and it's undisturbed. I'm sealing off the coal shoot this week. I'll probably weld it shut.

I'm looking into cameras. The house across the street is the self appointed watch captain of the non existent neighborhood watch so he has the front door covered with his cameras to the point it's kinda creepy. And my parents live next door and their camera picks up the side yard and driveway. Unfortunately I waited a few days to go downstairs so it was beyond the loop of both sets of cameras once I discovered the mess.

Looks like I'll be swapping optics tonight.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics regularly beats the snot out of Holosun optics and calls them good to go. Good enough for him, good enough for me.
    I knew he liked the pistol optics. But your right that dude knows his stuff so I'm gonna go ahead and swap tonight.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I work in Marion now, down 38th st.
    Option two, move out'a Marion.
    Eventually I hope.

We bought a house in 2021 in the neighborhood I grew up in. When I was little it was a decent area. It's really gone done hill. We got our house for a steal so we'll have it paid off in less than 2 years from now. Already have 10k in interior work done and this year is all exterior. Get it paid off and fixed up then sell it and get the hell out of dodge.

Where I live is still better than south Marion where I work.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Eventually I hope.

We bought a house in 2021 in the neighborhood I grew up in. When I was little it was a decent area. It's really gone done hill. We got our house for a steal so we'll have it paid off in less than 2 years from now. Already have 10k in interior work done and this year is all exterior. Get it paid off and fixed up then sell it and get the hell out of dodge.

Where I live is still better than south Marion where I work.
    I get it, S Adams and 38th st.
    I have a rental on Nebraska a few blocks from Cafè Valley also.
    More than once getting gas at Circle K its been interesting.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    My Holosun 515BU has held up to quite a few 12 gauge 00 buck and deer slugs out of my Mossberg 930 SPX semi-auto. The 403B I have on my .350L deer rifle has held up fine to rattling around the woods on a 4 wheeler and a couple hundred rounds. Neither have had any problems holding zero.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Ok story time.
    My wife and I rented an upstairs apartment from a childhood neighbor for our first place together. A lot of weird stuff was happening and stuff would be moved or fall randomly and all that spooky stuff. So I started joking about there being a ghost. Well the landlord found out and let us know about a guy that lived there like 40yrs ago that shot himself his name was mark. So mark the ghost was born. Then one morning the landlord calls and tells me he called a priest and he's coming to bless the house. It was horribly awkward since I'm not Catholic. But he blesses the whole house except when he got to the bathroom he stopped and stared at the door then left. A lot of the weird stuff happened in the bathroom. Then about a week later he died from a negligent discharge. Coincidence? I think not.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Ok story time.
    My wife and I rented an upstairs apartment from a childhood neighbor for our first place together. A lot of weird stuff was happening and stuff would be moved or fall randomly and all that spooky stuff. So I started joking about there being a ghost. Well the landlord found out and let us know about a guy that lived there like 40yrs ago that shot himself his name was mark. So mark the ghost was born. Then one morning the landlord calls and tells me he called a priest and he's coming to bless the house. It was horribly awkward since I'm not Catholic. But he blesses the whole house except when he got to the bathroom he stopped and stared at the door then left. A lot of the weird stuff happened in the bathroom. Then about a week later he died from a negligent discharge. Coincidence? I think not.
    Damn, and here I thought I did bad things to a bathroom.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Damn dude, sorry to hear about all the drama.

I have an Aimpoint Pro on my SD rifle. I want to swap it out for a shake awake version but then I have to go back out and make sure it is sigheted in. The ammo I use is so expensive I just buy batteries once a year and leave it on constantly.

Make sure she knows how to use it. Make her train. I have a training bolt somewhere that I can loan you. Have her practice getting it from a safe location, get it ready and travel thru the house as if she is getting the kids and corralling them to a holding spot.

I need to have my spouse go thru a refresher on this. Right now she is better off just grabbing a pistol. Less to deal with.

Maybe make sure you have two means of egress from the basement before you weld that chute shut. Those make wonderful escape tunnels.

Over the years Marion has tried to keep up with Indy in so many ways. I have two units left and then I am done with Marion city limits.

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    Good to hear you and your family are unharmed.

I regularly beat my Holosun up that's on a Scalarworks mounted to my Sig MCX. I'm sure it'll be dependable.
    However, if you want something new and affordable, Swampfox makes some pretty good and cost effective smash proof prisms...thought they're kinda heavy.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Damn dude, sorry to hear about all the drama.

I have an Aimpoint Pro on my SD rifle. I want to swap it out for a shake awake version but then I have to go back out and make sure it is sigheted in. The ammo I use is so expensive I just buy batteries once a year and leave it on constantly.

Make sure she knows how to use it. Make her train. I have a training bolt somewhere that I can loan you. Have her practice getting it from a safe location, get it ready and travel thru the house as if she is getting the kids and corralling them to a holding spot.

I need to have my spouse go thru a refresher on this. Right now she is better off just grabbing a pistol. Less to deal with.

Maybe make sure you have two means of egress from the basement before you weld that chute shut. Those make wonderful escape tunnels.

Over the years Marion has tried to keep up with Indy in so many ways. I have two units left and then I am done with Marion city limits.
    Yep I'm getting tired of Marion. If it wasn't for the previous owner of this house being a family friend to both my wife's family and mine and her wanting to get rid of it we'd probably be in gas city (despite my hatred for chappys). But it was cheap and big enough for the five of us. Eventually I want to be out in the county somewhere. She's pretty good with the rifles on the flat range and she understands cover and concealment just need to work on mindset and foot work really.

Nakatomi

Tactically Cool
    Rating - 98.7%
    76   1   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yep I'm getting tired of Marion. If it wasn't for the previous owner of this house being a family friend to both my wife's family and mine and her wanting to get rid of it we'd probably be in gas city (despite my hatred for chappys). But it was cheap and big enough for the five of us. Eventually I want to be out in the county somewhere. She's pretty good with the rifles on the flat range and she understands cover and concealment just need to work on mindset and foot work really.

Hey Freekforge! Sorry for the off topic, your mailbox is full and was trying to reach out. :)

VostocK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    I have one of the Holosun GS515Cs with the solar panel. Its been on top of my go to AR for around 5 years and its been rock solid. I've dropped the rifle several times and the optics been fine. I know its a sample size of 1 so take it with a grain of salt, but I trust mine for home defense.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'd get a 90+ lb dog have it trained, and take good care of it you'll have very good 1st response protection add that to your wife getting good with a defensive weapon of choice, and a 911 call for the cavalry which is better late than never. Kinda like the Air Force.

Top Bottom