• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Some of us will remember sharing a rare celesital event with family and friends. Time spent enjoying each other's company and marveling at a wonder that occurs rarely in one's lifetime.

Others will whine about gas prices.

I hope I never become the latter.
    Eh, I was going to take tomorrow and Friday off because I need a break and would be working Monday during eclipse (from my basement). Then I read the weather report. Now I'm taking Monday and Tuesday off instead because the weather is going to suck the next couple of days, and plan on being either fishing or shooting Monday. Depending on my timing I guess I could be mowing of the ground is dry enough.

It's just not something that's on my radar. It's not that I'm going out of my way to avoid it, or care what other folks are doing. It's just not pushing me to do anything I wouldn't normally be doing.

My wife went to the local power company office and got the free glasses. She'll likely check it out, not sure of her plans. My daughter maybe as well since the school she's doing her clinicals for grad school is closed on Monday.

It is surprising to me that places like my credit union will be closed for half a day, etc for it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Kind of reminds me of an Isaac Asimov story I read as a kid. "Nightfall"

On a planet with multiple suns, which never had darkness, EVER, until all the suns lined up every few thousand years. When this happened, the entire society went completely nuts and destroyed civilization.
    There were warnings, one group of scientists had even discovered evidence of this having happened many times in the past millennia. Everyone still lost it and burned everything just to get some light.

Old story (1940s?), but maybe applicable in some ways to a lot of the arm waving these days.
    Gonna look this book up. Sounds good
    I have it somewhere around here.
    It was a good story.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    One of the eclipses came when I was out mushroom hunting. I noticed it getting dark and though, oh yeah, I forgot about the eclipse. Then the last one, I was all ready and went out with my welders mask and looked at it... I would have rather been mushroom hunting again.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    One of the eclipses came when I was out mushroom hunting. I noticed it getting dark and though, oh yeah, I forgot about the eclipse. Then the last one, I was all ready and went out with my welders mask and looked at it... I would have rather been mushroom hunting again.
    I was coming back from a delivery and passing through Whitehouse, KY which was directly under the path so watched it. Did not expect the traffic jam on the interstate after. Like a serial parking lot. I would not travel to see one except to my yard for this one. I am not wowed by these things but was impressed with how it looked like a hole in the sky.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I still have my glasses from the last eclipse few years ago, and my factory will be shutting down at noon on Monday.. All the schools are closed and almost every factory is at least closing early around here. I'll watch it from my house or possibly take my son to the motocross track for extra practice since he is off school and we can watch it there.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I still have my glasses from the last eclipse few years ago, and my factory will be shutting down at noon on Monday.. All the schools are closed and almost every factory is at least closing early around here. I'll watch it from my house or possibly take my son to the motocross track for extra practice since he is off school and we can watch it there.
    Mark, our local news readers said that the coating on those glasses only last a year or two. I dunno.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Crap, I may have to get a new pair then.
    Maybe not. put them on and look at lights. I heard somewhere (maybe even here) if you can see regular lights through them they are no good. If you cant, you're good.

I do have to wonder about that nugget about them expiring. Seems shady.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Apparently NASA released this:
    "Note: If your eclipse glasses or viewers are compliant with the ISO 12312-2 safety standard, you may look at the uneclipsed or partially eclipsed Sun through them for as long as you wish. Furthermore, if the filters aren't scratched, punctured, or torn, you may reuse them indefinitely. Some glasses/viewers are printed with warnings stating that you shouldn't look through them for more than 3 minutes at a time and that you should discard them if they are more than 3 years old. Such warnings are outdated and do not apply to eclipse viewers compliant with the ISO 12312-2 standard adopted in 2015. To make sure you get (or got) your eclipse glasses/viewers from a supplier of ISO-compliant products, see the American Astronomical Society (AAS) Reputable Vendors of Solar Filters & Viewers page."

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    "Note: If your eclipse glasses or viewers are compliant with the ISO 12312-2 safety standard, you may look at the uneclipsed or partially eclipsed Sun through them for as long as you wish. Furthermore, if the filters aren't scratched, punctured, or torn, you may reuse them indefinitely. Some glasses/viewers are printed with warnings stating that you shouldn't look through them for more than 3 minutes at a time and that you should discard them if they are more than 3 years old. Such warnings are outdated and do not apply to eclipse viewers compliant with the ISO 12312-2 standard adopted in 2015. To make sure you get (or got) your eclipse glasses/viewers from a supplier of ISO-compliant products, see the American Astronomical Society (AAS) Reputable Vendors of Solar Filters & Viewers page."
    Mine are ISO 12312-2 compliant and they say to discard after 10 years.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Maybe not. put them on and look at lights. I heard somewhere (maybe even here) if you can see regular lights through them they are no good. If you cant, you're good.

I do have to wonder about that nugget about them expiring. Seems shady.
    Mine do say they are ISO 12312-2 compliant and they are in perfect condition, but if I look at the led lights in the office I can see them, but just barely, like you have to strain to see them, but you can make out the led tube if you try.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    My 2-cents on the solar eclipse. If you are lucky enough to be/live in the totality zone, you will get about 4 minutes of weird darkness. I don't see the attraction. Pretty much everywhere I've been on this planet, it gets dark every night. BFD.
    Having seen this a time or two, it is way different than night.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My 2-cents on the solar eclipse. If you are lucky enough to be/live in the totality zone, you will get about 4 minutes of weird darkness. I don't see the attraction. Pretty much everywhere I've been on this planet, it gets dark every night. BFD.
    Spoken like someone who has never seen an eclipse. I hope we have good weather for you to see it.

Meh. Ive had a hamburger. I dont see what the big deal is about Wagyu steak. BFD

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Should be interesting. Will keep my gear handy to repel boarders, but mainly going to have cold beverages, and Orville popcorn for the Eclipse. If tv reception falters, or cell phones quit, gues I will sleep thru it.

Top Bottom