• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AceDerringer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    HK will be having a rebate program running from Nov 1 to Dec 15 if anyone is interested in picking one up; its $200.00...it applies to USP,P30,HK45,Mark23, and MR Rifle platforms. I think the form should be on their website at the end of the month, but if anyone needs it I have a PDF of it....

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Still overpriced :popcorn:

With all the deals hk has been running to sell their handguns, you think they're figuring out how grossly overpriced their firearms are?

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Still overpriced :popcorn:

With all the deals hk has been running to sell their handguns, you think they're figuring out how grossly overpriced their firearms are?
    Well, HK stays in business (right?), so people must be buying their expensive pistols. I would rate my HK (have just one) as my highest quality pistol. That doesn't mean others are bad. If HK marked their products down to 500-600, they would all sell very quickly. You get what you pay for in some cases. I don't disagree that they are expensive, but I'm curious as to what you think their prices should be (give a few examples)?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Well, HK stays in business (right?), so people must be buying their expensive pistols. I would rate my HK (have just one) as my highest quality pistol. That doesn't mean others are bad. If HK marked their products down to 500-600, they would all sell very quickly. You get what you pay for in some cases. I don't disagree that they are expensive, but I'm curious as to what you think their prices should be (give a few examples)?

I have a P30 and a bunch of Glocks. The quality differential is not reflected in the price differential. Not even close. For the price difference, I would at least expect HK to get a better first shot in DA. That reason alone is why it took me so long to spend money on one. And then there's the VP9. If price is a reflection of quality, by comparison, the VP9 should be a so-so pistol relative to the other HK models.

I wish the rebate applied to the VP9. I'd be all over that.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    This. All of this.

And the vp9 I fondled and shot wasn't any better than the ppq I ended up getting. Actually, I liked the ppq more (but that's personal preference). The vp9 shouldnt be more expensive than any of the other good striker fired pistols out there, but it's got hk stamped on it, so you're going to pay for the name.

Also, since Searpinski thinks their inflated price in the civilian market is justified based on civilian sales numbers and prices, I'd like to see his numbers on civilian vs military/LEO sales. I think his opinion would change after viewing those numbers.

I'd also like to see his numbers that show that paying the extra inflated cost for an HK gets you a more reliable firearm. What are the percentage FTF/FTF/FTE (broken into field fixable and non-field fixable) for HK vs the other fighting pistols. My money is on HK being no more reliable than the other quality pistols that are currently on the market.

If you're a HK guy, and just like the firearms because you think they're cool, that's all good. But please drop the "you get what you pay for" sentiment. In this instance, your extra money doesn't get you anything better.

I have a P30 and a bunch of Glocks. The quality differential is not reflected in the price differential. Not even close. For the price difference, I would at least expect HK to get a better first shot in DA. That reason alone is why it took me so long to spend money on one. And then there's the VP9. If price is a reflection of quality, by comparison, the VP9 should be a so-so pistol relative to the other HK models.

Also, since searpinski thinks hk stays in business based on civilian sales of overpriced guns, I'd like to see his numbers on how much percentage of their business is in the civilian sector, and how much is to military/Leo. I'm betting he'll have a different opinion after he looks that up.

Last edited:

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I have a VP9, and love it, and am an advocate for HK and most of their arms.

But when someone asks for a defensive handgun recommendation it's always Glock or M&P.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Sig also makes some nice polymer guns. Some of the most underrated out there IMHO. They're quite nice, and reasonably priced.

Sig is not my cup of tea, but they've got some nice offerings in just about any category. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them (that includes their poly guns).

You'd have been correct a few years ago. Then I learned about weight differences and carrying comfortably :)

Steel frames on carry autos had their day, but no longer.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Sig doesn't make any polymer guns that are worth a consideration over similarly priced alternatives.

But that's just like, my opinion, man.

I do still love their steel framed guns as range guns though. Especially the P226/229 elite. :yesway:

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Ha, I knew the HK bashing would be the 2nd post after I saw the title. As an HK fan, my opinion:
    1) My HK45, to me, is by far the sweetest handgun I own, will likely buy another with rebate offer.
    2) PPQ vs VP9 is a toss up for me, I'm a bit wishy washy on which I prefer.
    3) I shoot Glocks very well (other than my HK45, better than my others), but I personally hate their triggers.
    3a) Picked up 1/2 round file to work on my Glocks trigger, if I can fix what I don't like, I can see a G21 in my future.
    4) Recently acquired P30 in light LEM is a dream, a few more range sessions & it will likely knock the PPQ & VP9 out of their current
    position. May end up converting HK45 to light LEM.
    5) Also a big fan of my M&P 45 compact with APEX kit, carry it more due to size & love that trigger.
    6) Hated my full size M&P 45.

Moral of the story: Uh, not really sure..... HK45 for the win!

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis

Why did you buy a P30 then? Just curious.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Probably because he likes it. The point was that in the case of HK, your additional money does not go towards the "you get what you pay for" sentiment. You don't get a $200-400 better gun with a P30 than buying a glock, M&P, XDm, PPQ, etc... But you certainly do pay $200-400 more.

Why did you buy a P30 then? Just curious.

Terry Barker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I must have missed the part where Ace asked opinions of HK firearms......he was just letting people know of the rebate and offering to provide a copy for those who WANT to buy an HK. Why all the hate folks....its a tool! Some like Glock's, M&P's, Sig's...that's the beauty of the market. They make a gun for everybody. I for one would like to thank Ace for the heads up....I've had my eye on a P30.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I must have missed the part where Ace asked opinions of HK firearms......he was just letting people know of the rebate and offering to provide a copy for those who WANT to buy an HK. Why all the hate folks....its a tool! Some like Glock's, M&P's, Sig's...that's the beauty of the market. They make a gun for everybody. I for one would like to thank Ace for the heads up....I've had my eye on a P30.

Did you also miss the part where this was general firearms discussions on an open forum? ;)

And if you think this is hatin', you haven't spent enough time on INGO.

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    Probably because he likes it. The point was that in the case of HK, your additional money does not go towards the "you get what you pay for" sentiment. You don't get a $200-400 better gun with a P30 than buying a glock, M&P, XDm, PPQ, etc... But you certainly do pay $200-400 more.

Do you have examples of materials used by HK not being of higher quality than others? Do ergonomics count for anything?

People pay more because you do get more. It really is that simple!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Do you have examples of materials used by HK not being of higher quality than others? Do ergonomics count for anything?

People pay more because you do get more. It really is that simple!
    I suppose you should define more, because I paid for one HK (and will pay for another), but I don't think I get "more." I get different. I like the look of the P30, and I like striker-fired, so the VP9 is on my list. Do I think my P30 has $300-400 of "more" than my Glocks? Hell, no. If anything, I should be complaining that a firearm that friggin' expensive has such a ****ty first shot DA. (Yes, I have issues with that feature of HKs. I'm in therapy for it.)

And, no, ergos don't count for much. It's only going to make one firearm more desirable over another if all else is equal. Kinda like buying a house. The fancy deck is nice, but it doesn't make the house worth $10K more just because it's there. It only makes it a better buy for the same price as the neighbor. Not an exact analogy, but close enough.

On the flip side of my rebuttal, since you made the claim, what "more" do you think I get?

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    I want examples of why an HK is not worth more. I am tired of people saying there not with nothing to back it up( show me specs on steel and polymer vs others). And don't compare a P30 DA/SA trigger to a striker fired trigger
    Compare a VP9 trigger to a glock trigger. VP9's is better. Let's also not forget about differences with the warranty. HK has a lifetime warranty. Does glock?

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Please, tell me what I get more from a polymer HK over a polymer m&p, ppq, xdm, glock, etc...? I sure do pay more for the hk. Still don't see what I get for the price difference.

There is nothing better about a hk handgun. I never said it is worse, but there's nothing better about it. It all comes down to personal preference. If you like it, have the extra cash, and feel like buying it, go for it. But stop the "you get what you pay for." It doesn't hold true in this case.

And yes, my ppq has a lifetime warranty through s&w. So did my m&p (sold it). Can't speak to the others I've had because I don't remember off the top of my head.

And your request to "prove why an hk is not worth more" is a ridiculous request. You can't prove that something is "not" anything. It's like asking someone to prove that Bigfoot is not real. You can only prove his existence, not his non existence. So you prove to me what I'm getting for the additional price, because I don't see a single thing that justifies the price. The additional price of an HK is worth it if you feel like paying for it. But from a standpoint of it being a tool and being more reliable/durable...it's not worth the $400 or whatever extra. Other platforms have proven themselves more than GTG, and at a significantly cheaper price point.

Most people buying a poly gun are buying it as a tool. If I can get a tool that does the exact same thing and gets the job done exactly the same for $400 less, I'm going to keep my $400 in my pocket.

If I want to buy a range toy that's pretty, and I want to spend money equivalent to that of a HK, I'm going to get something else. That's for sure. But again, that's personal preference.

I want examples of why an HK is not worth more. I am tired of people saying there not with nothing to back it up( show me specs on steel and polymer vs others). And don't compare a P30 DA/SA trigger to a striker fired trigger
    Compare a VP9 trigger to a glock trigger. VP9's is better. Let's also not forget about differences with the warranty. HK has a lifetime warranty. Does glock?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom