• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Started at 10pm. Appears to be a hit piece on guns.

"Gun Violence in the Chicago Area" to be precise.

Don't they have enough gun control in Chicago / Illinois?

Last edited:

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    The confusion continues. With some of the strictest gun control laws on the books, Chicago simply can not have a gun violence problem.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    While I didn't see the item on TV, I swung by BET's web site and found what I believe to be the correct video. Only watched a couple minutes because what I was mainly looking for was some way to leave public comments on the video (a la youtube). Unfortunately, there I couldn't find one.

What I was planning was my "gun control is racist" screed.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I watched it and it wasn't really about guns, although everyone that lost a child lost them through gunfire. The piece and followup piece (which I did not watch all of) was about gangs and why they are having such a problem with their youth in particular areas. It was sad to see the parent of a little girl that was killed by a bullet through a window during her birthday. It really hurts the heart.

One of the speculations for all of the gun purchases, besides the recent election, is also a fear of violence due to the economy. It is true in more recent history that a lack of jobs increases criminal activity. Most gangs are in more depressed areas where there is more drug trafficking, one way to make money but leads to more violence. It is often said that if a nation wants to quell violence within it's own borders then the best method is to make sure all young men marry and have children. Jobs availability helps also. They interviewed many youth on the street and one of the things they kept saying was that it was hard to find jobs locally so they did whatever they had to do.

I lived in Illinois at one time when the national rate of unemployment was high but because the town I lived in was tied to the auto industry, the unemployment in my area was around 10 to 11 percent. I don't remember much about crime then but I did find a technical job repairing copy machines for $5,50 an hour. I could barely make it but I was lucky to find a job because I had a skill. I can understand the difficulty.

So it was not really a hit piece on guns. More of a hit piece on gang problems.

Top Bottom