• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    What's in West Lafayette to be considered historical? The Border's, a gas station, a restaurant?:laugh:

This is just another ruse for busy body neighbors to use the state to raise their own property values. If you don't want or can't afford their forced renovations, too bad. My property values trump your property rights.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I think I would burn it to the Ground first...
    Rebuild that...

There is a church in downtown Lafayette that's been fighting for a couple years now for the privilege of demolishing a couple houses they own. The Nazis have been fighting them tooth and nail to deny them permits. The great thing about historical Nazis is they want to Preserve everything but not at their own personal expense.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I could see the historical society including houses on a voluntary basis, but not just deeming a "district" historically significant and making those homeowners abide.

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    Honestly, what can they do if an individual refuses too or financially can't afford the imposed renovations? I know what I would do, but I really don't foresee much that can be done.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    There is a church in downtown Lafayette that's been fighting for a couple years now for the privilege of demolishing a couple houses they own. The Nazis have been fighting them tooth and nail to deny them permits. The great thing about historical Nazis is they want to Preserve everything but not at their own personal expense.

Once again I will say, if you want the to decide what to do with Property I own then buy it off of me. If not then **** off...

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have lived in 10 or 12 communities in my adulthood. Every time an old house is ready to be torn down, people jump out of the woodwork and stop the plans because it is "Historical" Just because it's old it does have history, but that does not mean it is SIGNIFICANT. Several times I have seen "historical societies" actually accomplish getting the house designated as historical so they cannot be torn down. They raise funds and patch it a little, then they loose interest in THEIR project and leave it to the municipality. Then the TAXPAYERS get stuck "preserving" a piece of junk that should have been torn down. If someone wants to use their own money to restore something they bought, more power to them, but make them escrow enough money to tear it down when they loose interest. I am tired of paying for other peoples misguided fantasy.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Ha! I kept reading for how the Nazi party plays into this. In my home town nonetheless. Talk about a reading fail.

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If I owned a house in an area that they designate a historical district afterwards, I'd turn it into an unstaffed homeless shelter. Take all the locks off and let anyone and everyone come and go as they pleased.

These people will trample on your property rights in a second if it will make tgeir house worth a dollar more.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Good new, hor, they are knocking down the Phythian Home.:D

Pythian Home closer to demolition | WLFI - West Lafayette, Indiana

These people will trample on your property rights in a second if it will make tgeir house worth a dollar more.

Remember in 9 out of 10 laws "for the common good" the purpose of the law is to:

1. Seek economic rent;

2. Create a barrier to entry to keep others out of a market.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    There is an original home stead property my family owns that has been designated "historical." It was a log cabin at some point, but I think that was torn down or renovated generations ago. It's a 3 bedroom ranch with aluminum siding now. Very historical.

All of these things make me lol... Just because something is old doesn't mean it has value. In fact, it's typically the exact opposite.

My mom collects so much old crap just because it's old. She has a cradle that great great grandpa built. The rockers are cracked, 2 of the posts have been sawed off, other cracked areas are held together with wood screws and elmers glue. It is JUNK. I was a little scared to actually put my kids in it. Mom got her pictures though. "Been in the family for 4 geneartions." About 3 generations too many.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Perfect time for an accidental propane explosion...

"Oh, by all means please preserve that stick...and that doorframe..."

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Love the hysterics. Historic preservation is just that. Preservation of history.

I live in an historic district and they will not allow me to cover my house, built in 1872, with plastic siding.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Love the hysterics. Historic preservation is just that. Preservation of history.

I live in an historic district and they will not allow me to cover my house, built in 1872, with plastic siding.

I'm sure they offer to come help you paint.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom