• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Had a nice hike today at Charlestown State Park on Trail 6 (see description from DNR site below). The park was carved out from property that was under US Army control for years and was the location of the Indiana Army Ammunition Plant. In the show you can see a light post right in the middle of no where (it's the video thumbnail). The forest is reclaiming roads, building and foundations left from the WW II up to the Korean era. It was a nice hike if somewhat chilly up on the bluff overlooking the Ohio.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjYjoqajj-k[/ame]

Trail 6. RUGGED (2.3 miles)—This scenic trail starts across the road from the Riverside Overlook and runs along the top of the river bluff. The bluff top offers glimpses of the Ohio River and Twelvemile Island, and overlooks the boat ramp. A bridge crosses a natural waterfall and descends to the old Charlestown Landing site, where locals used to send and receive goods by boat pre-1940s. From there it is a stroll back along the bluff bottom. Enjoy the towering bluffs. During spring, there is an abundance of wildflowers.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Cool video Mackey, there is a County park just across the state line in S.W. Ohio called Shawnee Lookout and part of it encompasses the Company town of Columbia, that was part of the Columbia power & light plant ( Now Duke Fort Miami) and the did the same thing, tore down the structures about 45 years ago and have let the forest take over the streets, sidewalks, and building foundations.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Cool slideshow Mackey! My wife and I are always looking for new and interesting places to hike. We might give Charlestown a try!

sixty8firebird1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    SE IN
    Cool video Mackey, there is a County park just across the state line in S.W. Ohio called Shawnee Lookout and part of it encompasses the Company town of Columbia, that was part of the Columbia power & light plant ( Now Duke Fort Miami) and the did the same thing, tore down the structures about 45 years ago and have let the forest take over the streets, sidewalks, and building foundations.

I live not too far from there and went there a few times as a kid but don't think I ever went through that part. I might have to head back over there when I get some free time and check it out. Thanks for the info

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    Charlestown

Charlestown is a great alternative to camping at Clifty Falls, which is usually booked up. You can stay at CT, and Drive over to Clifty, or Falls of the OH.

Did you see any Bald Eagles while at CT? They have been known to hang around there.

Glad to see more people enjoying IN outdoors!

CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Charlestown has huge potential and is now the 2nd largest state park in Indiana. Trail 6 is pretty sweet. My wife and I hiked that trail once just after they opened it. We found ticks all over us. It was really creepy but we managed to get them all off. They were what we call turkey ticks around here but are just baby ticks. I haven't been on that trail since then. This park is a real life "If people vanished from the earth" type of place with all the reclamation. It's pretty cool to see how the earth will go on without us.

Regnar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Knox
    Ft Drum also has areas like that. Old town/villages appear out of the scrub, brush, and now woods. The names are still on the topo maps.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I forgot how interesting that hike is. Thanks for the reminder!

And if you haven't been hiking in a while, you'll feel that first section really good too. I sounded like a horse on the backstretch of the Kentucky derby before I got up on that ridge.

Some Summer's though the trip back, which brings you almost to the level of the river, has been hell from all the deer flies.

Top Bottom