High school choir drug test permission slip!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    So we are a blended family in my household and this past week one of my high school age stepdaughters (I hate that term!!!) brings home a permission slip asking for the school to administer random drug tests as they see fit on students if they suspect drug usage .... My wife shares my opinion that the school is overstepping their bounds.. The aforementioned teen girls dad sees no issue with it as she is a great kid and has nothing to hide, and I agree with the fact she has nothing to hide but, I can't shake the anger that this kind of crap is going on and that I feel my household is in the minority that objects to this request for invasion of privacy!!!!! What say you ingo??? Btw my bonus daughter's endeavor that requires this permission is choir... Wtf!!!!!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I am on the fence about this. Is it constitutional probably not. But what if it did turn up the fact that someone was using drugs. wouldn't you want to know? I know people that think there kids are clean right up till the first OD. Would I drug test my child? Hell yeah. Do I want someone telling me to. Not so much.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    I am on the fence about this. Is it constitutional probably not. But what if it did turn up the fact that someone was using drugs. wouldn't you want to know? I know people that think there kids are clean right up till the first OD. Would I drug test my child? Hell yeah. Do I want someone telling me to. Not so much.
    This is our position, it's our responsibility as parents to decide whether our kids should be subjected to this ,not an arbitrary decision by someone in the school corporation to make.. They have a hard time deciding when its best to call off school due to inclement weather.. Both households that our children reside in run tight ships, if any of our kids are hiding something like drug use they are good. We keep a very close eye on them!! No free time to get into trouble...

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    At the school I teach at, students who have a parking permit or are in extracurricular activities are subject to random drug tests.
    Does no one in the school corp you teach at object??? I understand the employer/employee relationship of drug testing in regards to a job.. My employer requires it before you get hired and has strict random testing , but I entered willingly into this agreement as part of my employment.. Kids are required to attend some form of educational attempt.. In my opinion alot of minors' constitutional rights are trampled on daily because they are young,uninformed,and misrepresented by their guardians and those who pretend to educate them!!!!!

TECKS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 30, 2014
    SPEEDWAY
    We are paying for people to trade food stamps for drugs. which i have seen first person. Although i do believe the war on drugs is a losing one.......

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    We are paying for people to trade food stamps for drugs. which i have seen first person. Although i do believe the war on drugs is a losing one.......
    I am directly related to people guilty of such acts!!!! Sickens me to think about it, but the way they take care of their kids is worse..

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Total :bs: if you ask me. My kid's only 3, but I imagine if she were in high school I would refuse to sign it.

All I know is that if my high school had drug testing I wouldn't have made it through the first semester.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Pretty standard around here if you want to do any extracurricular. If you don't want to sign the form you don't have to. She just doesn't get to do any extracurriculars.

You go to public school, you agree to abide by their rules. Either don't sign the form, or find another schooling option. Nobody is forcing you to sign it. She can still attend the school without the form.

I don't see anything unconstitutional about it. You have to consent to it. It's like consenting to a vehicle search. Your daughter has no right to extracurriculars. Heck, many here are on the fence about if your child has the right to a public education or not.

As long as you've got the choice not to sign, well, there you go. It's just like any other contract.

When they start drug testing without your agreement, then we have a problem.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    Garbage.... If you feel the need to test then do so with a low cost kit from the sheriff's office. If the results are contrary to your expectations then deal with it. I'm sure the school's intent is to provide a service to you for your protection.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Total :bs: if you ask me. My kid's only 3, but I imagine if she were in high school I would refuse to sign it.

All I know is that if my high school had drug testing I wouldn't have made it through the first semester.

Is that something to be proud of? What if someone would have been able to help you avoid drugs? I dunno.

I know a lot of kids that I went to school with are zero's because of drug use. A few of them are dead. Then there is my brother, the modern day hippie. No job. Biggest goal is a bag of weed. My parents refused to acknowledge his drug use. A mandated drug might have changed his life.

Hell, why am I *****ing he's happy living his dream. His money comes from the welfare system. We'll just keep enabling the druggies to keep living the dream! While we work our asses off.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    If the school "suspects" anything the parents should be informed and allowed to deal with it. It's beginning to seem that there is no corner of our life immune from government intrusion. They want your fingerprints, DNA, medical history, money and your pee. I guess if you have nothing to hide you shouldn't mind having no privacy at all, indoctrinate the kids early so they don't complain when they grow up.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Is choir required to graduate? If the drug test is an political, moral, ethical, etc issue than don't join the choir.
    Not in my high school it wasn't. Many schools require a "fine arts" credit, but that can be fulfilled with a painting, sculpting, or drawing class, none of which required a drug test. Choir and band are considered extracurricular because they have after school activities such as concerts, specialized choir groups, and after school practices at the school.

Perhaps OP's is different, but from my reading I get the feeling it is not.

Top Bottom