• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fallschirmjaeger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Noblesville
    I've got 2 nuthin special AR platforms (a Windham and a mixmaster I built using a PWA lower). Thinking about shedding them and upgrading to 1 high end gun. Other than handling a Daniel Defense and a few other high end types, I've never fired one. What are folks' thoughts on which of the higher end builds is best and why?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    There's probably no "best" but there are many makes that are very nice and comes down to what style you want (direct impingement vs piston) and how each company does things which you like the best.

I really like both of my POFs, they've done great, love the machining and how they're built. They've done great so far for me.

I've handled LWRCs (never owned one) and they're nice rifles and again, good machining.

LMT, Daniel Defense, Primary Weapon Systems, Noveske, LaRue, BCM, and many others are great rifles, great quality control and customer service.

If you want a "high end" AR, there's a lot of very good brands out there. You really need to find a company/style of rifle that just speaks to you. Black Rain has a lot of models to take a look at too.

Another thing is if you want a target rifle, SPR, or carbine.

Last edited:

Fallschirmjaeger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Noblesville
    I hear you. I'm thinking a tactical carbine setup for range plinking and home defense. I could stick with what I've got but when I start thinking about various upgrades (trigger, furniture, etc.) it seems that it might be simpler to buy something that's already tricked from the get go.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    i have 4 company's I like spikes tactical, seekins ordinance, black rain ordinance, lwcr, all good and im just looking for which lower to build for my "high end" ar build do some research and watch some vids on youtube see what you can afford and what works

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Couple different levels of high end for me. If I were going to spend money on a nice rifle to baby and try to keep looking really good it would be a Larue or Noveske. For a quality gun that can take a beating it's BCM or LMT for me. Lots of other good rifles out there but these would be where I'd spend my money.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    POF, knights armament, LWRC, LMT.
    I love the POF's attention to detail, piston setup, and trigger. The handguard is just ok to me. I like it on my .308 but on a 16" carbine i think there are better options.
    Knights Armament I think is just a very well balanced rifle with the perfect parts loadout for what I would want in an AR, but that is all personal preference.
    LWRC and LMT I have never shot only handled and I know by reputation only.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm partial to BCM for several reasons. With just a short amount of Google time, you can quickly find their reputation for quality. They aren't machining some fancy receivers with the latest tacticool logos and making some accessory with an off-the-wall look just to be different. They are known for being very strict purchasers of mil-spec parts. It's remarkable to hear how much of their supplied parts they return due to not being within spec. They have somewhat recently started machining their own upper receivers because of the sheer number of supplied receivers they were turning down (read the first post of this thread First Look at BCM's NEW M4 Upper Receiver). Another example of their quality would be their BCGs. During the scare of 2012/2013, BCM BCGs were demanding the highest value of all over-priced BCGs at the time, and for good reason. The bolts are individually tested vs batch tested. Every single one that I've purchased has had brass residue on the face. Every time I open the package, I'm greeted with the sweet sweet aroma of gun powder. I imagine as they continue to grow, they'll be doing more and more of their own machining. So a combination of parts that are actually made correctly, and ASSEMBLED correctly, makes for a very durable rifle (Read about the Filty 14 S.W.A.T. MAGAZINE ? FILTHY 14 : Slip 2000 Official Blog).

I have 2 BCM rifles. While my main rifle only has 2000-3000 rds though it, I have yet to have a single issue with either of them. I only clean once a year at the end of the 3gun season and I treat them like crap. They get dropped, THROWN into barrels, and just plainly abused. ALL parts and pcs meet the general quality criteria (gas key staking, bolt HPT, staked castle nut, PROPER BARREL TORQUE (you'd be amazed how often this is not the case). For an example of Bushmaster build quality, check out this very well written test done by LuckyGunner.com (http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/). Take note about the out-of-the-box conditions of the castle nut staking, barrel nut torque, & gas key staking. In my 3gun experience, I've seen low round count bolts bust, and castle nuts come undone. It's not pretty. I've also had to retorque several gas keys from a well known supplier whose gas key bolts were staked (but done poorly) and took almost a half revolution to re-torque.

And right now, as the market is flooded, you can get tons of upper configurations from BCM on SALE. And each one comes with a FREE BCG. They are by far not the most expensive rifles on the market. So for the price and quality you get, I don't see how you could possibly go wrong.

A short video for your viewing pleasure:
    About BCM - YouTube

On a side note: I also own 2 Noveskes and a White Oak. All have been flawless. The Noveske is a 10.5" MK18 with their match barrel and is way more accurate than I. But Noveskes certainly come with a higher price tag. The White Oak is my NRA Service Rifle and I'm sure it shoots much better than I as well.

If I've mis-stated anything, feel free to correct me. Lunch hour over. Back to work.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Can't believe I'm the first to say this:

If I'm spending the kind of money the "high end" ar's are demanding.....I'm going to build my own with all parts/components that I pick out. That way, I get everything I want, and nothing I don't.

Why spend the same amount of money for a rifle that someone else has picked the components for you. Pick your own components and build yourself. If you know what you're doing, you'll end up with a nicer rifle, and it can be the same (or less) cost if you take your time shopping.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My rule of thumb, figure out the most you will spend for a top notch barrel, then spend more. The fanciest of every single other part will not make the rifle more accurate than the barrel can shoot. You MIGHT get a $200 barrel that shoots pretty good, But getting a $600 barrel that does not shoot excellent is extremely rare.

Top shelf barrel + top shelf bullets = top shelf accuracy.

tackshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 11, 2014
    Southside
    I bought a Troy carbine 16'' off here last week, so far I've only put 20 rounds down range but I really like it, a lil on the heavy side but not to bad, hopefully I'll have my 7.5in noveske here soon

kjf48197

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    Indy south side
    I have to say, there is no best one. My opinion is that the best one is the one you custom build for yourself. The one I built is an all mil spec Frankenstein. I got the best deals on the mil spec stuff from who ever had the parts and slapped it together. It works perfect and if anything breaks all I have to do is find the next best deal on that mil spec part and replace it. I also built it for about 40% cheaper than one off the shelf with similar components. With that said, you can spend as much as you want on an AR but they all work the same way, you may just be paying for the name on the side.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Ive got one buddy with a DDM4, and another with a Lewis Machine SLK8. Both are great... but I've never had any problems with my bargin bin AR either.

My DPMS has fired a thousand rounds of mixed Wolf steel and Federal brass though crap mags and good mags and never had an issue... Though I'm sure some small $15 part will break some day, and everyone will get to say "I told you so"... at least for a day or two until I buy a replacement part and go on to shoot many more rounds.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    I like the LMT in .308 Win. The slick side (LMT LM8 version) is a little lighter than the LMT MWSE, so you may prefer this option. The adjustable stock is great and the pistol grip is a softer rubber that fits your hand well. You really don't need to change anything so no extra costs!

I do like the free floating barrels and the caliber change option by switching barrels with two quick bolts is nice. Very accurate and the UK/New Zealand armies have selected them over a HK and FN Scar competition, so that is a good recommendation.

Top Bottom