• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fldriver08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    has anyone used the new Hevi-Shot dead coyote load for 12 gauge? i just read an article on it in Predator Nation and it claims to have lethal knockdown power at 70+ yards. i will be heading over to dicks to pick up some shells later but would like to hear some opinions on this load.

erik7941

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    I have not used the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote load for 12 gauges. I would be wary of anything for shotguns that claims to have lethal knockdown power at 70+ yards tho, that is a long way for a shotgun load to travel and still be effective against something such as a coyote. If you hunt coyotes and can usually get them to come within 70 yards, preferably within 50 yards, then I would say that you might as well try the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote loads because, IMO, that's about the absolute max (50-60 yards) that I've had luck with knocking down a coyote using 00 Buckshot. But if you can't usually get the coyotes to come within that range, I wouldn't change anything til you can hear some more reliable reports. Again, I haven't used the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote loads for 12 gauge, but based on using 00 Buckshot at 50-60 yards on coyotes, having knockdown power at 70+ yards, seems a little questionable to me, but not impossible. Good luck, I'd be interested to hear what you think of the rounds if you decide to try them out, hope this helped.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    What choke was used to get the range? I know Carlson's has a Dead Coyote extended choke tube that is supposed to extend the range of a shotgun with the coyote loads. I use one in my Winchester 1300 turkey barrel with 3" #4 buckshot loads for a close coyote situation. Otherwise its the .223. The Hevi-Shot loads are stupid expensive.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    #4 buckshot or lead BB's or BBB's.

I can normally get them within 50 yards if they are hungry and it is real cold. I normally run the up close stuff with my 870 and my dad or a friend use a high power rifle setup downwind from my calling location.

They heavyshot loads are most likely a fine thing but i got a deal on 10 boxes of lead BB's from an older goose hunter along with 10 decoy's. Can use lead for geese anymore so I got em at 5 dollars per 20.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    If Dick's has them, that'll be a miracle, and if they do, expect a lot of dough for them.

I use a tight choke, turkey, with #4 Buck. Does just fine.

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    I guess I don't understand the reasoning of being hesitant of using anything at 70+ yards for coyote? I've used a 12 gauge saboted slugs...3" Lightfields to kill deer farther than that and hit paper plates consistently at 100 yards and have shot a coyote at 65+ yards that was very effective...he was dead? Just curious.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I guess I don't understand the reasoning of being hesitant of using anything at 70+ yards for coyote? I've used a 12 gauge saboted slugs...3" Lightfields to kill deer farther than that and hit paper plates consistently at 100 yards and have shot a coyote at 65+ yards that was very effective...he was dead? Just curious.

I think everyone was pondering the effectiveness and range of shot only. :)

I know if I'm coyote hunting in less than open cover, shotgun (shot), is the weapon of choice. :yesway:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

A 12 ga with a slug should be good to over 100yd if the firearm/shooter are accurate enough. But the shells in question use shot not a slug.

if u use t shot its about the same thing yes those tungsten loads are heavier than lead, but also 3x as expensive.
    T-shot is a size for steel loads, it falls right between bb and 4buck and just over bbb. BB=.18 BBB=.19 T=.20 #4=.22 Yes there is Tungsten shot but I don't believe that is what they are talking about here.

Here is a link that shows all the differences
    Shotgun Ammo and more Shotgun Ammo! ShotgunWorld.com is Your Best Source for Shotgun Info on shotgun ammo.

Top Bottom